• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with my next pair of jeans!

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long-time lurker but first-time poster.

I buy one "project" jean every year, and it's about that time. Since last summer I've been wearing a Rescue, and it's turned out great. Only problem is the fit: way too roomy of a seat, even though the pants seem more-or-less my size.

Don't have much of an ass. I'm 6' and around 155 lbs. My measured waist is 34", maybe a bit less; I'm 37" around the fullest part of my hips/butt; and thighs are almost 21" at the widest. Anything better-fitting come to mind, gentlemen?

PS: No bootcuts please.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're 6', 155 pounds, and a 34" waist??

seen

Reaction score
Yea, the hell, I have 34" waist and I'm almost 170lbs.

Ott

Reaction score
I'm about the same height and 5lbs heavier than you and I wear jeans with a 29 waist. What the **** is wrong with your body?! Also I think you just found out why the rescue is so roomy in the seat, you're wearing them around your knees
laugh.gif

Reaction score
Wow, that's news to me. Tailors have told me that I'm really easy to fit; "tailoring" for me is usually just getting the suite pants hemmed. LOL The "standard" in the clothing industry, I believe, for my size (Medium) is 38-40 chest and 32-34 waist. I have a 40 chest, so I'm right there.

Maybe it's just an "ethnic" thing. What race(s) are you guys?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give the new dude a break guys. Anyway, if you feel that the Rescues are too roomy in the butt, give the New Standards a try. If you feel more comfortable in a true straight leg, the Nudie Regular Ralph is a good choice, although it is actually a bootcut, as is the Bootcut Ola, which, ironically, is more of a straightleg, and sits a little lower and fits tighter. Both have relaxed but not baggy butt and thighs. Barney's has the greycast Ralphs on sale now. The sizing is a little different than the Rescues, so I would advise trying them on. Another choice might be the RB1's, though if you want a tighter fit around the butt, you might try RB11 or RB6s.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im still trying to imagine this, because im 6' and 155 and wear 29 waist. and i have an ass too. i did wear 34s tho when i wore baggy ass pants, but i needed a belt.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
im still trying to imagine this, because im 6' and 155 and wear 29 waist. and i have an ass too. i did wear 34s tho when i wore baggy ass pants, but i needed a belt.
I am 5'11" and 155" and the largest part of my hips is only 31" (i.e. I can fit into 30" jeans pretty easily), but I usually wear a 32" (well, a 30 or 31 in New Standards, just because the sizing is so whack,) because I like my jeans to hang low around my hips. I always wear a belt. But yeah, a size 34, especially in the Rescues... I could fit my girl in there with me
smile.gif
Keep those baggier jeans though, if they are decent. I predict that in about a year, maybe two, people on forums like this will be saying "Wear jeans that don't constrict your balls", seeing that the tight jeans trend has been moving so fast (Acne is everywhere, and Nudie keeps on coming out with tighter and tighter jeans, and even APC, which didn't change its lineup in years, is jumping on the bandwagon with "tight" jeans) that it has got to burn out, and hard, possibly harder than the Trucker hat trend or velour.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and in ten they will still say "get some 501" so ill just stick to those. or 505.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Give the new dude a break guys. Anyway, if you feel that the Rescues are too roomy in the butt, give the New Standards a try. If you feel more comfortable in a true straight leg, the Nudie Regular Ralph is a good choice, although it is actually a bootcut, as is the Bootcut Ola, which, ironically, is more of a straightleg, and sits a little lower and fits tighter. Both have relaxed but not baggy butt and thighs. Barney's has the greycast Ralphs on sale now. The sizing is a little different than the Rescues, so I would advise trying them on. Another choice might be the RB1's, though if you want a tighter fit around the butt, you might try RB11 or RB6s.

Yeah, thanks. I like the Rescues for daytime wear, as they seem more of a working-man's style, but I also wanted something with a dressier look I can rotate with. I guess I'll give RB a try.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
the NS is a 501-ish cut, isn't it? randomly.

Well, the 501 has gone through many incarnations, but if you mean straight inseam, slightly tapered leg, medium rise, etc... then, yes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
only that the 501s weren't meant to be worn this slim?

Well, you can wear the New Standards slim, normal (read relaxed) or baggy. That's the beauty of these and jeans like the Regular Ralph. They are designed to be worn a variety of ways and look good! Just like the 501s, which used to come with a size guide that essentially stated the same thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads