• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me with My First Bespoke Buttondown?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm having my very first buttondowns made up, and would appreciate some help in refining the elements. The vast majority of BDs I see are crappy, while others (like the ones worn by Ed and Foo among others) look quite good.

So, what are the essential elements of getting the BD collar to work. Length? Softness?

Thanks - ET

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that you choose to ask a bunch of novices questions that many reputable and highly touted shirt-makers, who happen to operate in NYC, are much better qualified to answer.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I find it hilarious that you choose to ask a bunch of novices questions that many reputable and highly touted shirt-makers, who happen to operate in NYC, are much better qualified to answer.

Expand that to clothing generally, and why have Styleforvm at all?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Merinos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
If i speak for myself then I would like to know what the options are and how to distinguish a good tailor from a bad tailor before I enter the store, so that I know what decisions I have to make and what to look for to see whether the tailor is able to make the shirts to my likes

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring them this picture:
rs9do3.jpg

BBC

Reaction score
Lots of factors to consider in getting a good collar roll

Length of collar points
Type of fabric
Unlined, interlining, or interfacing
Position of collar buttons
Tightness of collar
Position of second placket button
Type of lining in collar band

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a lot of depends on what you are looking for.
fred astair is wearing a very long pointed collar with a very large roll.
with very little or no interling inside.
ths shirt is fresh off an ironing board. by the end of the day, the back of this collar will look like mush with out a tie to keep itin place.

the collar Ihave made for ED has a wider spread then usual
Manton's collar is very long with and is self lined
lately, I have been making Button down collars with 2.5 ponts and not the old standard of 3.25"

the look and shape of the collar will change in respect to fabric as well. Oxfords will stand up better with very lightweight inter,ining.

most of the online shirtmakers can't or wont make an unfused collar. very difficult to get that soft roll

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the look and shape of the collar will change in respect to fabric as well. Oxfords will stand up better with very lightweight inter,ining.

most of the online shirtmakers can't or wont make an unfused collar. very difficult to get that soft roll

it's been a while, but iirc this was the road to success. no online tailors around at that time...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Thanks Carl and BBC.

Carl: What is the raionale behind the shorter collar length? In the FA photograph shown above (which I like), he seems to opt for a longer collar (and hence, a longer, more dramatic roll).

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carl,

What is your view on putting interlining only in the collar band?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Bring them this picture:
rs9do3.jpg

inlove.gif
Of course, part of the beauty of Astaire's OCBDs is how relaxed they fit--look at those sleeves! This would not go over well in forum land. E.T.: I kind of think bespoke OCBDs are unnecessary. The shirts are sporty in origin and don't require the most exacting fit to look good. A little loose is better than a little tight. You can get Brooks Brothers to make you MTM shirts with unlined buttondown collars, but you must specify it yourself, as they won't ask. Mercer & Sons does a great collar, but it can be harder to work with their fitting system as they don't like to take more than a couple inches off the waist. Most buttondown collars these days are too short and neat. You need a little more length, plus proper button placement, to get a good roll.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
inlove.gif

Of course, part of the beauty of Astaire's OCBDs is how relaxed they fit--look at those sleeves! This would not go over well in forum land.

E.T.: I kind of think bespoke OCBDs are unnecessary. The shirts are sporty in origin and don't require the most exacting fit to look good. A little loose is better than a little tight. You can get Brooks Brothers to make you MTM shirts with unlined buttondown collars, but you must specify it yourself, as they won't ask. Mercer & Sons does a great collar, but it can be harder to work with their fitting system as they don't like to take more than a couple inches off the waist.

Most buttondown collars these days are too short and neat. You need a little more length, plus proper button placement, to get a good roll.

I subscribe to that word for word.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads