Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help me with my casual wardrobe please!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RTWu, Mar 20, 2017.

1. RTWu

RTWu Well-Known Member

Hello guys,

My first thread here on this forum an its one looking for some general guidance. My casual wardrobe is essentially non-existent and is currently comprised of workout clothes (sweatpants, etc.) and some jeans I picked up at a Seven outlet several years back. I'm looking for some direction as to which brands I should take a look at. I'm completely lost (usually stay over on the classic menswear side of the forum). The best description I can give would be things that would be appropriate for casual office workwear for a laid-back consulting/finance firm in NYC (so nothing too out there).

From perusing this side of the forum, the brands that have stood out to me are along the lines of Stephan Schneider and Engineered Garments. Any and all suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Btw, I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, average build except for disproportionately large thighs (which makes buying pants/trousers in general a pain). General casual shoewear advice would be among the most appreciated as well!

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

For footwear, it's always best to start by stating a budget and the length and width. That often will eliminate many brands as options.

3. RTWu

RTWu Well-Known Member

Appreciate the response! I'm a Brannock 8.5C, most of my dress shoes are US 8, although the best fit for me would be a 8.5C, it's often tough to find narrow widths so I have to size down. My running shoes (pretty much only casual shoes I have) are 9.5-10. Budget-wise, I'd like to stay under $500 per pair, maybe looking for two "staple" pairs. Are there two "typical" starting, versatile styles that I should look like? For example, the casual equivalent to the dress shoe black cap-toe Oxford and dark brown brogue wing tips? Thanks!

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Unfortunately, casual shoes don't follow rules like that. Arguably, however, a casual shoe wardrobe for the workplace (almost an oxymoron) should include brown bluchers probably in something less formal and shiny than calf leather. Between the fit uncertainty and ample budget, it seems prudent to visit a J. Crew store to explore its footwear.

5. babydials

babydials Member

Pants - NYC casual should typically include one pair of dark slim straight jeans that have not been pre-distressed, these are easy to dress up. A pair of chino pants (they can be jeans) in a lighter color (such as khaki) which should also be a fairly slim cut. One advantage to khakis (or cords) is if you buy a denim shirt you do not commit the faux pas of wearing it with denim bottoms. Brave Star is reasonable but no place to try in NY. Rogue Territory is great, but pricey. You may want to try Left Field, especially when they go on sale. This being NY a pair of back jeans or casual trousers can be handy. J Crew has nice casual trousers in a good assortment of fabrics (not all requiring dry cleaning) and can add some nice texture to your wardrobe.
    Shoes - Invest in decent casual shoes. If Alden is out of your price range look at Allen Edmonds. Shame this post was not up when the Wolverine store closing sale was going on. A dressy boot can be a great cool weather item.
    Socks - Darn Tough holds up well - no white gym socks unless you are going to the gym.
    Sport coat - generally good to have a mid-weight tweed and and a blue blazer. Mine are Brooks Bothers, but there are plenty of options depending on personal taste.

Uniqlo is still a good spot for inexpensive basics (like linen shirts now that we are heading into warmer weather).
    J. Crew is a great spot for somewhat pricier basics especially during sales. They also have polos that are not too full.
    Club Monaco (owned by Ralph Lauren) has some nice things as well.
    If you don't mind having an overload of options much of which you will not want, Bloomingdale's has good sales and you can unearth some gems.
    Gap sometimes has nice collaboration items with a bit more style than their regular items.
    Gitman and Gant have some nice shirts, but can get pricey. Look for sales.
    Brooks brothers has some nice dressier casual shirts, sweaters, and things (best to wait for sales).

Hard to say more without knowing your style.

Remember, as a NYer your have access to great sample sales and end-of-season sales.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017