• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with a prom tuxedo

p12m

Reaction score
How's it going guys, so senior prom is coming up in about a month and I have started to look for a suit. Is it possible to rent a nice, well fitting tux? I am proud to say I know how to dress and I do not want to wear some ill fitting tuxedo with a bright vest. I am looking to just go with a classic black tuxedo and a black bow tie. I haven't looked to in depth as far as renting, but I will ask you guys, is it possible to rent a nice tuxedo? Thanks!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it possible? sure. Will it be expensive? yes. Will it take some research and effort? Yes.

You may not end up with a super high quality tux, but if you can get a good fit I think you'll look better than 99% of the people there anyway.

p12m

Reaction score
where do you think would be the best place to look?

Essential

Reaction score
I'm also going to prom this year.

Instead of getting a tuxedo, get a suit like me. At this time in point, you'll probably wear your tuxedo once or twice. You probably won't be going to too many events that require one.

If anything, just rent a decent looking tuxedo and call it a day. Suits are much more versatile and spending more money on the latter can only lead to good things.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm also going to prom this year.

Instead of getting a tuxedo, get a suit like me. At this time in point, you'll probably wear your tuxedo once or twice. You probably won't be going to too many events that require one.

If anything, just rent a decent looking tuxedo and call it a day. Suits are much more versatile and spending more money on the latter can only lead to good things.

I don't know about a suit for prom. Its a special night and traditionally everyone wears a tux and probably your date is expecting you to wear one.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it too much. You can rent a tux with a good fit. You just need to be specific about the fit. My senior prom was several years ago, but I recently rented a tux to attend my friend's wedding as a groomsman. I the groom picked a tux from Mens Wearhouse. They're probably not at the top of anyone's list, but it was what the groom wanted. After being fitted, I picked up the tux two days before the wedding. They didn't do a good job putting it together. After explaining the alterations I wanted, they fixed it up the same day. So, if you know how you want the tux to fit, I think you can get it from a rental, even Mens Wearhouse.

mjjo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can always rent a tux for the prom.

Essential

Reaction score

I don't know about a suit for prom. Its a special night and traditionally everyone wears a tux and probably your date is expecting you to wear one.

Assuming the OP is in high school, it doesn't really matter. It's fun to be bold and spend money on a better fitting versatile suit.

College is where it's at anyways. (shoutouts to Andys trad forum) :slayer:

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought prom was where you spent a **** load of money to go out dancing for like 4 hours and hoped you got lucky at the end of the night. so wear what your date wants to to wear to improve those chances.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To rent is generally easy and they sometime look good and sometimes less so. However everyone else will be in the same boat and it really will not make a deal of difference. Unless you can foresee a need to wear one several times in the next year then do not waste your money buying. If you are then buy one but do not spend much money because you will change shape quite considerably in the next five years as your body matures.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hardly anybody wore a tux to the proms I went to in high school.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rented my tux for my prom 10 (!!) years ago. It was terribly ill fitting but then I didn't know much about clothes then. Since the OP says he knows how to dress, he could rent a tux and simply be specific about the fit he wants. It'd be fun to by a tux at some point but even at the ripe old age of 27 dont have enough black tie events in a year to justify the cost.

sborg

Reaction score
Not everyone wore a tux in my school back then as well (now I feel old). It would be wise to just rent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads