1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand watches and value

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cary Grant, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

It's jewelry. Jewelry that men justify to themselves through complex mechanics because we normally don't accept that we should adorn ourselves with pointless expensive items. But that's what 'high end watches" are. They're the diamond earrings of the male world. Admit it and get on with yourselves. Just say; "It's jewelry". You sound ridiculous explaining the complexities of your rube goldberg device in a world that technology has deemed antique.
    +1, but still, ouch.

2. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    Me again... so where do pocket watches fit in this? Who's the go-to brand in this regard?

Check out the Breguet Marie Antoinette pocket watch [​IMG].

To be honest, pocket watches are not particularly popular these days. In fact, most of the brands don't produce a pocket watch line. Richard Mille released the RM20 tourbillon pocket watch, but its too much of a novelty.

http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1003796517

Having said that, vintage time only pocket watches of big names can be found at affordable prices, including those by Patek, Breguet and IWC as well as good old American brands like Hamilton.

If I were in the market for a pocket watch, I'd be looking for a vintage American made pocket watch like Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, Ball or Illinois circa 1920's. These are railroad grade pocket watches which are defined as:

Must be Open faced, i.e. no flip open cover
    Size 16 or 18
    Minimum 17 jewels
    Adjusted to at least five positions
    Keep time accurately to within 30 seconds per week (that's about gaining 4.5 seconds a day)
    Be adjusted to temps of 34 to 100 degrees Farenheit
    Have a double roller, steel escape wheel, lever set, regulator, winding stem at 12 o'clock
    Have bold black arabic numerals on a white dial, with black hands.

Hamilton continued to produce pocket watches until 1969 and given their popularity, I suspect that a good negotiator could walk away from a vintage watch store or fair with one of these beauties at a fraction of the cost of a wrist watch.

Gaz

3. username79

username79 Senior member

the Pagani Zonda, do you think it's worth 40 x Priuses?

Might be a bad analogy, because I certainly think so.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

To be honest, pocket watches are not particularly popular these days. In fact, most of the brands don't produce a pocket watch line. Richard Mille released the RM20 tourbillon pocket watch, but its too much of a novelty.

http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1003796517

Having said that, vintage time only pocket watches of big names can be found at affordable prices, including those by Patek, Breguet and IWC as well as good old American brands like Hamilton.

If I were in the market for a pocket watch, I'd be looking for a vintage American made pocket watch like Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, Ball or Illinois circa 1920's. These are railroad grade pocket watches which are defined as:

Must be Open faced, i.e. no flip open cover
    Size 16 or 18
    Minimum 17 jewels
    Adjusted to at least five positions
    Keep time accurately to within 30 seconds per week (that's about gaining 4.5 seconds a day)
    Be adjusted to temps of 34 to 100 degrees Farenheit
    Have a double roller, steel escape wheel, lever set, regulator, winding stem at 12 o'clock
    Have bold black arabic numerals on a white dial, with black hands.

Hamilton continued to produce pocket watches until 1969 and given their popularity, I suspect that a good negotiator could walk away from a vintage watch store or fair with one of these beauties at a fraction of the cost of a wrist watch.

Gaz

I rather prefer the high-grade English pieces. Nice simple gold cases with beautifully finished gilt-finish movements and a high level of technical prowess- freesprungs, karrussels, etc.

Certainly, one could get an exceptionally fine simple English pocketwatch for the price of a new mediocre stainless-steel wristwatch.

IWC still makes pocket-watches as do some other high-end makers. They are quite expensive.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Gaz

Gaz, LK- thanks for that.

I have been looking at Vintage pockets, including some English and Swiss dating to the 1880's. Prices certainly stay low.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

LOL:

Is this about a watch or a really expensive hooker?

7. savvyibd

savvyibd Senior member

I have two Patek's (one was a gift) - they feel rather cheap for the price. They just don't have the "feel". Go into Torneau and try on various watches, and there's this book - I'll get you the name when I'm home - that talks about watch design. Read that.

8. peezie

peezie Senior member

Sorry for jumping in late.

Any item carries with it a certain cache, positive or negative. This includes wathces, cars, and college degrees. All aspects of perception that goes into the brand, also goes to the owner. It may not be fair to consider a Patek a resume on your wrist, but it represents what it represents.