1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Help me understand the large differences in jacket length

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by llltronlll, Mar 28, 2012.

1. llltronlll

llltronlll Well-Known Member

Good info everyone, thanks for posting. Alterations will not be an option for me, as I am looking to go a little short by getting a R instead of a L (I am 6'2 and always put into a long although my torso is average length). Unfortunately, most of the cuts that fit me in the shoulders and chest are very short, as in 29/29.5". I dont mind going to a 30.5, but much shorter than that looks weird to my eye.

As I said above, I am hoping to pick up a couple used suits that can be altered before stepping up to MTM/bespoke. I am just starting to wear suits, and would like to get used wearing them and let my eye and style mature, per se, before I drop decent money on anything.

CousinDonuts: I like you tumblr. Good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

33" is a good length for someone 6'2". You have to be careful with shorter lengths for your height, especially in certain business environments. Unless you are super fit or thin and have the right body type it's hard to pull off shorter lengths.

3. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

Why do you keep saying these things? Even a well-done MTM suit may need minor alterations after it comes in. And almost (and I hesitate to say "almost") every off the rack suit needs some type of alteration.

Is there a legitimate reason for your refusal to have alterations done? If its a budget thing, you should always factor alteration charges into your budget.

4. hyt123

hyt123 Senior member

I'm confused.

5. llltronlll

Sorry, the person above me said shortening the jacket, which is what I was refering to. Quoting people on this board takes up a ton of space, and I find it annoying to read, so I try not to do it. :lol:

I will try to find something that has the correct shoulder width, length, and preferably chest, and alter the easy stuff.

6. llltronlll

Off my Rack:

See above. And is there any way you can stop taking this thread so seriously? Obviously I will have alterations done.

7. llltronlll

Fairly fit, but its not like I am a starting PG in the NBA. I go to the gym, still play bball twice a week, etc. I certainly have a slimmer frame.

8. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Yes, I agree. What you say makes sense. But I suppose shops may feel that they have a responsibility to ensue that the overall outcome of a suit is good. In this particular case shortening the length is not going to ruin the overall fit (I think). But they probably have to deal with cases where a customer insists on a particular detail that they think will upset the overall balance. Then they worry that they will be held responsible for the bad outcome.

I think the length of a suit jacket is a point on which the views of SF may be slightly against the traditional bias. That is, I think the favored fits on SF tend to be slightly shorter than the established rules would dictate. So who are you going to trust?

9. ILoveSportCoats

ILoveSportCoats Active Member

Hello,

I have a question about jacket length, and looking for opinion/suggestions/advice.

Voilà.

I have up until now worn 40 Regular sport coats. Recently I purchased a jacket online (of the same model as my other jacket) in 40 Long, to try it out.

Now I find myself in a style conundrum.

Is it too long??

I am 6.1 and thin.

What do you think? Should I send the jacket back and order a 40 Regular? The 40 regular is the light grey jacket, the 40 Long is the dark elm.

Thank you for reading!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Need to see a photo from the back, from these photos I prefer the long it's more classic. It depends the look you are going for.

11. ILoveSportCoats

ILoveSportCoats Active Member

Thanks for you reply tchoy and your opinion.

I also went in to a Brooks Brothers and they said the same.

Like you I like the classic look. The difference looks negligible in pictures but the Long really feels large when I wear it.

I've come to the decision to keep the jacket!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

the regular looks too short in my eyes, the long is much better in balance and the better fit. it doesn't look too big to me. Have the sleeve shorten and you are good to go.

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

The measurements depend on the maker. Figure out how you want your suit to fit, and then find suits that fit that way. The sizes are just guidelines.

14. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

In my opinion, jacket length is a mix of a strict rule (keep your ass covered if you wanna have it classic - current fashion obviously breaks with this rule) and your individual (or the designer's individual) stylistic preference for how much it should extend beyond your butt. The latter is similar to the length of your trousers where you also can choose from a range of "correct" lengths (full break, medium break, no break) before it gets too long or too short. There is probably also a regional component to this question since I have the impression that general taste in the U.S. favors a longer jacket than you would typically see in Europe or Asia.

Anyway, in case of ILoveSportsCoats pictures I would say that the shorter jacket is exposing a bit of his butt and, therefore, is too short.

15. erpet

erpet Senior member

I think both jackets shown on the latest pictures look O.K. - it is a matter of preference, but you must consider the whole picture and include the trousers.

The shorter jacket must be combined with shorter and slimmer cut trousers to maintain the balance. The trousers on the picture look good with the longer jacket.