• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me to not make a wrong impression at a carreer event in Finance

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Hi!

I'd like to introduce myself, I'm a student in my early twenties. From now on, I will go to several carreer events where recruiters of large banks and multinationals like Shell are present. That's all really great, but I have no-one in my network to rely on for some solid style advise.. So I hope that you can help me out!

I've purchased a not too costly suit a year ago: The P1105 from Suitsupply, or the 'NAPOLI NAVY PINSTRIPE'. Together with this suit I bought a plain light-blue formal shirt that fits perfectly. Oh, for your impression, I'm a bit tall by the way, 1.93m by 80kg @ 13% bodyfat.

I've lost some shoulder size this year.. I used to workout 4-5 times a week and follow a 4k cal diet to gain weight, but since a year I got IBD which put me from 87 down to 80kg.

I'd like to wear this suit with a pair of formal dark brown shoes, really dark brown ones. Like the color of the Enzo Marconi marron fonce. I will then purchase a belt in the same color. My question is, do I not cross some unwritten styling rules here? And if that is not the case, can you recommend me a pair of formal, dark brown shoes that are not too costly, but also do not look really cheap? I prefer deep dark brown ones, with black heels.

Edit: added in pictures of the jacket and shirt. Can I combine this with a deep red tie, and deep dark brown oxfords and belt?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Bauer

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jonathan,

You're stressing out over this too much. What you describe is fine. Dark brown with navy is perfectly fine. Just keep the tie conservative, make sure your shoes are nicely polished (you don't need them to have a mirror shine, they just need to be polished). Make sure your hair is nicely taken care of and ditch any thoughts of cologne you might have. Others may disagree on that front but I find cologne/perfume to be one of those things that can evoke a strong negative reaction in some people

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Thanks for your confirmation John, and overall your reply seems to be great down-to-earth advise. It is really appreciated, I'll take it to heart!

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I've edited in pictures of the jacket and shirt; can I combine this with a deep red tie and dark brown formal shoes (oxfords?) with the same color belt? I've already gotten a response on the shoes/belt, but now I wonder if I can combine this all with a deep red tie. Also recommendations for deep dark brown shoes with black heels that are not too pricy but not look too cheap, are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If by deep red you mean more toward burgundy, yes. Dark brown oxfords would be fine. Hard to tell from the pic, but there seems to be some fit issues going on. Nothing that will make you look foolish, but perhaps something to address when you have the time/money.

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Thanks for your input on the tie and shoes - great, burgundy; I now know what to look for. A Google search on burgundy ties delivers a series of great ties, just the deepish red I had in mind! And thanks for your honesty. I also figured that the suit looks a bit oversized now.. Well that's some more motivation to pick the weights up again, and especially hit the shoulders..

I think that a plain burgundy tie like this would also go really well with the darker navy of my suit, accompanied by the dark brown shoes and belt. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Oh, really? It feels a bit wide on the shoulders. It was tailored to fit me perfectly when I was 'bodybuilding' (but not that serious) and weighed 87kg, whereas I weigh 80kg now.

Perhaps based on sleeve length? I remember the last time I worn it, I was constantly pulling the sleeves of the suit down to not be walking around with a major gap between the end of the sleeves of my jacket and the end of the sleeves of the shirt... Can that actually be adjusted?

Anyway, I you're getting annoyed by all my follow-up questions, don't bother to answer. Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better pictures would help but yes, the shoulders do look too wide, but there is also some devoting going on, suggest that perhaps the arm hole is too small. Your shoulders also seem to pitch forward a little causing a ripple because the jacket sees to have been made for shoulders that are set back more. The waist suppression seems a bit extreme and the jacket is far too short. The sleeve length is ok, since you want a little shirt cuff showing, but I wouldn't go any shorter. Keep in mind that I'm not a tailor, I've just picked up some things here and there as I have sought my own perfect fit. There is a thread here for tailors and fit advise that you might do a search for. I suspect it would help a lot. IMO you should ditch this suit when you have the chance to get another. Do some research on how things are supposed to fit, ask questions, and keep an open mind.

Lucan

Reaction score
You need to leave the bottom button of your jacket unfastened.

For the tie, go darker burgundy than the one you pictured, or a dark navy with a small repeating pattern as a safe choice, e.g. SuitSupply ref D151229.

Last edited:

JonathanBauer

Reaction score
Better pictures would [...] an open mind.

Thanks for sharing your insights, this is really useful. And I'm having a good time looking into this stuff - I think it's interesting. The next one will be a tailor made suit by GMRaven. My friend and his brother have such suits, and the look just seems to be on another level compared to non-tailer made suits. They also don't cost a small fortune. However, I just made a lot of costs when I had to purchase my first suit, so for my first one I had to go with the most budget-friendly option.

You need to [...] SuitSupply ref D151229.

Thanks for not making me look like an absolute rookie out there, I forgot, will do. And I agree on the tie, the one in the picture indeed looks a bit too non-formal. It needs to be really dark, just like the brown of the shoes/belt. Thanks also for the tip on the safe tie - I think the tie looks great. I'm more fond of the bolder dark burgundy choice, but am inclined to also order this one to be able to swap looks from event to event - while I just wear the same one navy suit, for now.

Last edited:

AMProf

Reaction score
Business school professor here and I attend a lot of these career fairs. I'll echo the above comments that you're stressing out about it-- you'll look just fine with what you described. If it is on a college campus, you're going to look equal to or better than most attendees (most college age guys just don't give that much thought to clothes). Much more important is to make sure you bring your resume, have a good handshake, make eye contact, ask some interesting questions, and do some background research on the companies you're really interested in. The recruiters care much more about your substance than about how your suit fits in the shoulders.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Business school professor here and I attend a lot of these career fairs. I'll echo the above comments that you're stressing out about it-- you'll look just fine with what you described. If it is on a college campus, you're going to look equal to or better than most attendees (most college age guys just don't give that much thought to clothes). Much more important is to make sure you bring your resume, have a good handshake, make eye contact, ask some interesting questions, and do some background research on the companies you're really interested in. The recruiters care much more about your substance than about how your suit fits in the shoulders.
Current business school prof here: totally co-sign this. Look like you've made an effort (putting on a suit and tie and tucking in your shirt, really!) and then hit all of the things @AMProf mentioned and you're in very good shape. If I can see the person is trying to dress the part, that's the most important thing as far as that goes. If they don't bother to read up on companies, don't have good questions, lack social skills, etc., that's a killer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads