1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me to not make a wrong impression at a carreer event in Finance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JonathanBauer, Mar 9, 2016.

1. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

I don't often encounter "overdressed" in terms of someone in a Brioni suit, Lobb shoes and a Rolex. Honestly that's kind of hard to spot in the field, even for someone who reads SF and has an interest in clothes (except for the watch, but I've never seen a student with a Rolex....but I work at a mid tier public school ya know). Its more "damn, that's a nice looking suit", but I'm not sophisticated enough to be able to distinguish among very high end brands just from sight. What I *do* see sometimes is mistakes among young people wearing very nightclub/lounge like suits (think very tight black suit, shimmery purple shirt, solid black tie). Among professionals that doesn't look very good, but I can understand how that could happen to a student who went to H&M or the like to buy a suit. So, that's a bad move but not a fatal flaw. Keep in mind that most professionals are going to be pretty forgiving, we realize that a typical 22 year old guy doesn't have that much knowledge and experience yet. It would be much different, on the other hand, if it was a 30 year old MBA student dressed the same way.

Oh, but one thing I saw just a few weeks ago at our career fair: please, please remove the suit label from the sleeve of your new suit! I have seen this twice now, once on a suit and once on an overcoat. The cloth label stitched on to the sleeve was left on! I felt really bad for the kid who didn't realize you don't leave those on.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Would've been a kindness to tell him to remove it or risk looking ridiculous.

3. JonathanBauer

JonathanBauer Member

Ouch, bold mistake in the thread title, and I'm sure there's more to be found throughout my replies. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll never spell career wrong from now on.. [​IMG] Also I've just subscribed to the Economist, I think (and hope) that reading some well-written articles each week will help to improve my English in terms of vocabulary, grammar, style.

Great question and response.. Nice input for the thread, perhaps more relevant to students who wonder if they should wear their finest suit at an event for which no dress code is communicated.

1 person likes this.
  4. CriticBespok

CriticBespok Member

I hate brown shoes with blue!
    Don't listen to anyone who advices them.
    Go with a black/dark blue oxford or devy shoes.

This is an advice from a guy who directa more than 150 workers.
    Good luck.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Interesting how common this is. In fact, it's somewhat of a trend to keep it on in Africa. Not recommending it, of course. [​IMG]

Brown and blue is fine.

6. CriticBespok

CriticBespok Member

No it is not!
    It's a really bad taste choice.
    Especiay for a work meeting!!!

7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Sure it is.

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Brown shoes and blue suits are just fine together. No one gives a toss how many people you direct or advices you give.

9. CriticBespok

CriticBespok Member

Navy suit and brown shoes to a business meeting? That's gross man...
    Where dis you learn to dress? Instagram?

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Where did you learn spelling and grammar?

11. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

Be careful: from his initial post, he has far more than the required 11 suits to know infinitely more about these matters than you.

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

11! Gosh! I didn't realize he was royalty! :D

13. AStylishHo

AStylishHo Member

Well hey, a good friend of mine went into an interview for an accounting position at a Big 4 Firm last month. He wore something similar to you for the interview and he got the position.
    Not exactly your field, but still finance-ish.
    What you're wearing is fine, don't stress :)