• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me stock my new bar

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Have you guys ever seen a bar cart? They're not enclosed in any way. Generally speaking, enclosed bar's are expensive. Not something that I'm looking for at the moment.
Yep, been looking for a bar cart for a while actually. I wouldn't keep it fully stocked or even stocked at all unless I needed to. Try searching for a buffet, sideboard or credenza. I have an antique buffet that I use but I am unsure how that would fit in with your decor. I keep an empty decanter on top with a few glasses and everything else is underneath. My stock is kept behind panel doors but I could have just as easily went with glass. Edit: Similar to this but with a mirror.
antique1806img3485.jpg

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After I moved overseas I learned that near my home in NW Indiana is one of the best microbrews in America. Last time I visited, my mom picked up some for me. Three Floyds out of Munster is worth trying if you haven't.

(I think it might be the water. The city of Munster bottles their tap water and sells it regionally to great success. They call it "Hinkley Springs")

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
After I moved overseas I learned that near my home in NW Indiana is one of the best microbrews in America. Last time I visited, my mom picked up some for me. Three Floyds out of Munster is worth trying if you haven't.

(I think it might be the water. The city of Munster bottles their tap water and sells it regionally to great success. They call it "Hinkley Springs")

Everybody knows Three Floyds. It is awesome. BTW, I grew up in NW Indiana. It can really be a beautiful region--- compared to most of central IN.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Everybody knows Three Floyds. It is awesome. BTW, I grew up in NW Indiana. It can really be a beautiful region--- compared to most of central IN.

On a related note. One of my mother's really left-wing friends was ranting about how it's not safe to drink tap water and blahblahblah while drinking a bottle of "Hinkley Springs". Much hilarity happened when people read the "Bottled by the municipality of Munster" on the side.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rambo, how are you keeping your grand of booze away from your crazy roommates?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Rambo, how are you keeping your grand of booze away from your crazy roommates?
Roommate. I've moved it all into my room. Its ******* sad.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
On a related note. One of my mother's really left-wing friends was ranting about how it's not safe to drink tap water and blahblahblah while drinking a bottle of "Hinkley Springs". Much hilarity happened when people read the "Bottled by the municipality of Munster" on the side.

Bottled water idiocy knows no political bounds.

And tap is much better regulated. You can get very detailed reports on any municipal supply, while the FDA has some astoundingly low number of people monitoring bottled water safety.

And most of it is from municipal sources.

Also, dig up the Penn and Teller bit on the subject of bottled water. It's hilarious.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've got no bottles in this house yet, had to give away my old bottle collection before I moved here :(
312818_10100400810903690_15904009_52821493_1364394938_n.jpg

On the bright side, I have more space in my little downstairs living room to have a dedicated bar area, and the bottles are like 3X cheaper here than where I just came from. :devil:

I need some help starting my new home bar from scratch. I can get pretty much everything this time, or a reasonable replacement. :slayer: cptjeff? cocostella? Rambo?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's the state of my old collection a year in, and I had to give it all away a couple weeks ago. :(

I'm starting from scratch right now, don't have any bottles yet. I shipped the tools and the few pieces of glassware I had though. Looking for a list of recommendations to put together the whole thing, with regards to bottles.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

That's the state of my old collection a year in, and I had to give it all away a couple weeks ago. :(
I'm starting from scratch right now, don't have any bottles yet. I shipped the tools and the few pieces of glassware I had though. Looking for a list of recommendations to put together the whole thing, with regards to bottles.

Ok, well there is some good info in the thread. Help me narrow it down with regards to individual spirits. Gin, rum, etc.? You had some good looking *********** bar there before. Are you looking to try completely new things?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah I am actually. The selection of spirits in Japan is really strong, especially scotch and bourbon, and rum. Pretty much anything under the sun, and it's cheap.
I drink simple highballs mostly, whiskey and water, or rum and coke, but I like to make complex cocktails on a whim and make them for my lady or for when friends come over, so I need the whole lot.

Bourbons, since I mostly drink it with club soda, I am thinking of I.W. Harper 12 year for a nice bottle, and then something really gritty and cheap, like standard Old Grand dad or Four Roses
Rum - I want a few bottles - Zacapa 23 I like, but rakuten has a bunch of old demerara rums too:
http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/-/ラム-402934/f.1-p.2-s.5-sf.0-st.A-v.2

Scotch - not gonna keep more than a few bottles around because I go through them if I have them, and I don't have the space to have an epic wall of Scotch. :eek: I will rotate these as I buy them and drink them.

a good vodka? I don't drink much vodka but need a bottle

gin? I am thinking Martin Miller's - I drink a lot less gin nowadays but if I do make cocktails, they're often gin-based

brandy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads