• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me select a new CD transport/player

tps16

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my integrated amplifier and am now looking to replace my CD changer. My current setup is pretty basic, and I'm not interested in anything more than two channel stereo. I had a nice, somewhat high-end 5.1 set-up before and quickly grew bored with it. Current setup is as follows:

Amplifier: McIntosh MAC6700
Speakers: B&W 805N
CD transport: Pioneer Elite PD-F19 using digital coax out.

The nice thing about my current player is that it holds 300 discs; however, I have more than that now, so I still end up changing CDs a lot. It also seems like the weakest link in my chain, so I'm looking for transport recommendations. I'm not in a rush to purchase, but I want to find out what my options are before I start arranging to audition different transports/players.

So far, I'm thinking I can use the DAC in my amp (32/192, Burr-Brown afaik) and just get a transport. There was a significant upgrade in sound when I went from my previous Yamaha DSP-A1 to the McIntosh, and I think part of that was due to the DAC. Unfortunately, there are not that many good new transports out there. A local hi-fi shop has recommended using a new Cambridge Audio unit that's just come out that is significantly below the price range I was looking at, and McIntosh makes the MCT-450.

I'm going this weekend to listen to an MSB Data transport, so that's also a possibility, but I'm less inclined to get something that requires a separate power supply. I've read good things about the Parasound Halo CD-1 and PS Audio Perfect Wave and will hopefully be able to hear the Parasound. These two seem to use the same kind of drive as the MSB, where it re-reads the disc to check for any errors and stores data in a memory buffer. I've heard the McIntosh unit does similarly. There's also the MCD-550 that uses the ESS DAC, though I'm not sure that would really sound much better vs the unit in my amp, and I don't need the rest of the functionality that comes with that unit.

I've tried reading some of the various audio fora out there, but it seems like every thread gets bogged down in esoteric arguments, so I thought SF might be a good place to look for advice. My budget is flexible, but I'd like to keep it under $5k, unless there is a significant difference in sound quality. Is this worth doing, or could I get sound quality equal to one of these machines out of a computer and send it to my DAC? Or just keep the current CD changer and upgrade my speakers to 805Ds?

Sorry for the length of this post and thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads