1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me round out my tie wardrobe.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, May 16, 2011.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

For the record, though, nearly all my shirts are MTM and they already have taller-than-standard collars by one-quarter inch. (It sounds like I should add another eighth of an inch, though, eh?)

Just cause they are MTM does not mean they are right. You need a wider spread and much longer points. You are a tall, slim dude - no need for narrow or puny points. [​IMG]

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Just cause they are MTM does not mean they are right.
    So I've been hearing.

You need a wider spread and much longer points. You are a tall, slim dude - no need for narrow or puny points. [​IMG]
    Now I'm afraid that the English collar shirts I recently ordered still won't have long enough points. What's the ideal here, just long enough to hide under the lapels of one's jacket? If so, that seems rather arbitrary since each of my jackets has a different gorge.

Oh dear! What's a pencil-necked geek to do? [​IMG]

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Which brings me to your shirts. Your outfits would improve drastically if you got better fitting shirts. I think you were doing a MTM jacket recently, forget that for now. Get MTM/custom shirts. Your shirt collars are not doing you any favors. The points are too small, not spread enough and not enough height.

Really educational read, Ed, not just for Threadbearer either.

Curious, I know you go to CEGO for your custom shirts. Do you have a recommendation for online MTM however? I've been using someone local, and am wary of online operations, but I'm working on a write-up about online MTM shirts (as if the world needs another). Have you had any experiences with these things?

4. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

That's just the look I'm going for! Oh, come on, CB! You can't make an enigmatic statement like that and then just leave us all to wonder what it means. Please elaborate. I'm confused, CB. It seems to me that the collar in the pic is exactly what ed and Spoo are trying to help me avoid. Did I misunderstand your point?
    Here's some recent non-striped ebay purchases. They are silk, vibrant colours, about $5 from China. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] James Middleton wasnt the best pic, Mark Steines generally has good shirt/tie combos. [​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Here's some recent non-striped ebay purchases. They are silk, vibrant colours, about $5 from China.

Sorry to see you overpaid.

1 person likes this.
  6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

[​IMG]

7. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

If it was $5 for the lot, I wouldn't say he over paid, but he certainly wasted $5.

8. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

I'ts clear that this place is full of stuck up twats with more money than brains so I have asked the moderators to cancel my account here. Goodbye and good riddance.

9. Navi

Navi Senior member

You're missing a lot of those great printed silks that makers like Marinella and Capelli are fond of. Drakes does good ones. Panta has made a number as well.

This. Get some neats as well as some more simple repp stripes: navy with wide spaced white stripes, brown with white/light blue stripes... Navy with white pindots, wine/burgundy with white pindots... Hmmm.

I'd also get some wool weaves like shepards check etc. Ed is offering a great brown shepards check wool piece in the Panta thread! Good luck buddy.

btw, ever felt the finer grenadine weave? if so why do you prefer the larger weave? Just curious here. Thinking of trying a garza gross in chocolate brown for my next grenadine, only have a navy garza fina currently.

10. SpooPoker

I'ts clear that this place is full of stuck up twats with more money than brains so I have asked the moderators to cancel my account here.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Before you go, educate me on how my money would be best spent on those ties, please. My brains dont fully comprehend.

11. onix

onix Senior member

I'ts clear that this place is full of stuck up twats with more money than brains so I have asked the moderators to cancel my account here. Goodbye and good riddance.
    lol, you did overpay dude. These are sold for $2-$3 in many shops in China town. I passed by a shop in NYC and it says 4 for $10 in the window, IIRC.

12. either/or

either/or Senior member

-guess this means the lecture on striped ties is cancelled.

13. Threadbearer

I'ts clear that this place is full of stuck up twats with more money than brains so I have asked the moderators to cancel my account here.
    Looks like you scared off another one, you stuck up twats. Now I'll never learn the truth about striped ties. [​IMG]

btw, ever felt the finer grenadine weave? if so why do you prefer the larger weave? Just curious here.
    Haven't tried any garza fina ties yet, Navi, mostly because they don't look all that distinctive in online photos. Not a very good reason, I guess, considering how inaccurate online photos can be. However, I'm not really drawn to them in the first place because the whole point of a grenadine, it seems to me, is its luxurious texture. Garza grossa is a seriously textured weave, whereas garza fina seems like it might be rather unremarkable. Sadly, they are not sold in shops around here so I cannot see one for myself without buying one.

Thinking of trying a garza gross in chocolate brown for my next grenadine, only have a navy garza fina currently.
    Go to SamHober.com right now and order a garza grossa in bitter chocolate. It will make you very happy.

-guess this means the lecture on striped ties is cancelled.
    Don't you have something to say on the subject, e/o? You could stand in as guest lecturer. I'd pay $5 to attend. [​IMG]

14. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

TB, whats are the names of the colors of the 2 Hober grenadines ? Thanks

Solids and Textureds:
    Two Drakes, David Donahue, Sam Hober cashmere, two Hober grenadines, and two Kent Wang grenadines. (Tie on far right is black.)
    [​IMG]

15. Threadbearer

TB, whats are the names of the colors of the 2 Hober grenadines ? Thanks
    Dark Blue (#13) and Bitter Chocolate (#6).

16. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Goodbye and good riddance.

Far from it. Folks here just value quality more than quantity. You can check out the thrift store bragging thread where people have found outstanding ties for $1 (ties that would go in the market for hundreds of dollars), amongst other things.

In fact, this place itself has a very active sales forum where you can find some outstanding deals. Besides, Spoo's almost a teddy bear once you get to know him. So, relax, take the snark by your stride, and learn a thing or two.

17. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm a moderator at another VB based forum (same control buttons, I'd assume) and haven't a clue as to how to cancel an account.

When offering opinions on a forum, it's always best to wear the appropriate protective items in the event that the skin is thin.

[​IMG]

18. SpooPoker

Besides, Spoo's almost a teddy bear once you get to know him.

[​IMG] Way to ruin my rep, Metlin. [​IMG]

19. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

:\\ he deleted it already

Was it the tie version of this girl's denim collection?
    [​IMG]

holy shit.

20. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

here is an example where you look great from a color of outfit perspective, but the shirt collar fit ruins it: But the shirt collar should not fit that way, we should not see that much of the points, you are a tal, skinny guy. You can go taller collar (just a smidge), longer points and more spread. [​IMG] ......
    Ed, Can you post a sample picture of a collar that is "correct" so we can have a better idea of what you're getting at?