• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me renovate my home ...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You could say so, it seems logical to me. Take a bath, get dressed, then come out. No need to lock the bedroom while you get ready

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Question: What type of floors are you putting in?

If you end up doing hardwood (which I recommend x1000), please..oh please for the love of God, don't do pre-finished. Growing up I've installed or re-finished dozens of homes (my father is a carpenter) , and pre-finished, for all the benefits it has, are the bane of my existence.

I am a long way from the point of getting to details regarding flooring etc. Trying to form an idea as to what is possible and what would work for us.

Anyways, what are pre-finished hardwood floor ? Pergo type laminated wood or engineered wood which has 2-3 mm of actual wood instead of laminate on top ?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-finished are the type of floors that are basically bought and assembled, already with the stain on them. Basically, floors have to be sanded and then stained to the desired colour. They are 100% real, and basically they are "nice". They last a long time, save time (can be installed in a fraction of the time of installation + finishing) and are cheaper. This comes at a price though:

1) They last longer due to the coating. They can last 15 years without needing a new coating. (Basically where you either re-stain them, or you sand them down again to bare wood, and stain/coat them). This is due to a special coating of Aluminum Oxide. This makes them basically scratch proof. You could LITERALLY buy sandpaper, tape it to your feet, and slide on the floor.... and the sand-paper will be worn smooth...the floor won't have a scratch. But they do eventually become scratched, dented, or pierced. Dropping something heavy on them still can break the wood, pierce the surface, etc. And it will happen, many times. It's a floor.

And then you have to have them re-coated. Which is a pain, and expensive. Regular sandpaper won't do it, so special ceramic based stuff has to be bought. And the job is made more difficult by problem 2:

2) The floor is uneven. When you finish a floor, it has to be sanded to a perfectly smooth surface. Not just for looks and feel, but for making sure the stain sits properly. The pieces in a pre-finished are basically from a factory. They all fit together.... but somewhat roughly. Not in a way that is a huge deal, but if you're picky, or need to refinish the floor, it's noticeable

3) The floor just doesn't look as nice. It has smaller pieces typically, and the edges are all beveled to hide the fact that they'll be slightly uneven. Nothing beats on-site hardwood floors.

However, as I said... they're cheaper usually, have huuuge warranties (20 odd years), and are still quite nice. Not a bad deal, if you're willing to sacrifice a few things.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
panka kahan hai ? i don't know what to contribute except you're missing takiyaa aur takhta, that's all the seating i'll be using in my home henceforth. maybe ek choti kursi ... floors made of sang-e-marmar ? i never received my invite for chai
frown.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only post in my threads to polish your hindi
smile.gif
Posted via Tapatalk

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
panka kahan hai ? i don't know what to contribute except you're missing takiyaa aur takhta, that's all the seating i'll be using in my home henceforth. maybe ek choti kursi ... floors made of sang-e-marmar ?

i never received my invite for chai
frown.gif

borat-very-nice.jpg

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
You only post in my threads to polish your hindi
smile.gif
Posted via Tapatalk

lol i did give you a stellar rating at least
happy.gif
mauja hi mauja
bhangra.gif

henrikc

Reaction score
Okey, here's my suggestion. Drew this in AutoCAD, so the furniture is probably terrible. The only experience I have with AutoCAD was a couple of assignments for a class I took this fall which included drawing a dog house, so I'll try to explain instead. Didn't bother with changing the bathroom or even drawing anything in there.
ikBT7g.png
What I've done (based this on the original drawing and dimensions of the room) is move the door on the top right to the other side of the small wall half-dividing the room. I removed the other one, as you probably can see, and in the top right corner I've placed a large closet, 2' deep. From what I could gather that's a pretty standard size for closets. Just below that I've placed a sofa (I'm actually pretty pleased with that one), a small table and a wall-mounted TV. I belive in using the bed for sleeping and using a sofa or a chair for watching TV. As you can see, I removed the dividing wall to create some room for using the large sliding doors. Moving left, there's a queen sized bed and two bed tables, nothing fancy. Above that bed is a desk with a computer and a chair. Now for the part with the closets - I've made an L-shaped closet, 2' deep again, and then there's a small island in the middle with 2' 6" clearance to it's top and left, and 2' 10" to the bathroom wall. (Forgot to add these dimensions, and I don't want to go through the hassle with uploading etc again). Bathroom door is unchanged, and so is the interior. Now this is based on the suggestion made by Douglas earlier, and to be honest, I think it looks rather good. You could also extend a wall from where the closets end, and down to the bathroom wall, and add an opening on either side of the island with some beads or whatever in front, which would somewhat close of the room, but still leave the rest rather open. Now I'm back to thinking out loud, so I'll leave it at this. Edit: Just realized that you didn't have any windows above the bed as of right now, so my window placement is terrible - I just based this off another drawing, but finding another way to put the window won't be too hard.

henrikc

Reaction score
Okay, drew up a quick sketch of the alternative to the dressing room mentioned earlier.
inbxMw.png

Didn't add the opening on the north side of the island, but I'm figuring since a door will take too much room, you could run some beads or something fancy in front, or even a sliding door into the wall behind the island.
Since this is now sectioned off, there's room for another, smaller cabinet, which extends from the island and up to the roof, as well as south towards the bathroom wall. This can't be as deep as the others, so I've made it 1' deep, and I figured that would be deep enough to have room for some shoes.
I've made a drawing of that to illustrate;
imXfyo.png

The island is now to the left, and there's room for a lot of shoes above. I have no idea how high ceilings you have, so I guessed that 8' 4" would be close enough.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a cool thread aj_del ... and all the other contributors. I never foray outside of MC ... looks like there is more to SF than just clothes ... lol.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
this is a cool thread aj_del ... and all the other contributors. I never foray outside of MC ... looks like there is more to SF than just clothes ... lol.

Haha, I was once only interested in MC and SW&D. I now no longer post in either of those places, just read them. DT and Fine living take up the majority of my internet time.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Okey, here's my suggestion. Drew this in AutoCAD, so the furniture is probably terrible. The only experience I have with AutoCAD was a couple of assignments for a class I took this fall which included drawing a dog house, so I'll try to explain instead. Didn't bother with changing the bathroom or even drawing anything in there.
ikBT7g.png
What I've done (based this on the original drawing and dimensions of the room) is move the door on the top right to the other side of the small wall half-dividing the room. I removed the other one, as you probably can see, and in the top right corner I've placed a large closet, 2' deep. From what I could gather that's a pretty standard size for closets. Just below that I've placed a sofa (I'm actually pretty pleased with that one), a small table and a wall-mounted TV. I belive in using the bed for sleeping and using a sofa or a chair for watching TV. As you can see, I removed the dividing wall to create some room for using the large sliding doors. Moving left, there's a queen sized bed and two bed tables, nothing fancy. Above that bed is a desk with a computer and a chair. Now for the part with the closets - I've made an L-shaped closet, 2' deep again, and then there's a small island in the middle with 2' 6" clearance to it's top and left, and 2' 10" to the bathroom wall. (Forgot to add these dimensions, and I don't want to go through the hassle with uploading etc again). Bathroom door is unchanged, and so is the interior. Now this is based on the suggestion made by Douglas earlier, and to be honest, I think it looks rather good. You could also extend a wall from where the closets end, and down to the bathroom wall, and add an opening on either side of the island with some beads or whatever in front, which would somewhat close of the room, but still leave the rest rather open. Now I'm back to thinking out loud, so I'll leave it at this. Edit: Just realized that you didn't have any windows above the bed as of right now, so my window placement is terrible - I just based this off another drawing, but finding another way to put the window won't be too hard.

Originally Posted by henrikc
Okay, drew up a quick sketch of the alternative to the dressing room mentioned earlier.
inbxMw.png
Didn't add the opening on the north side of the island, but I'm figuring since a door will take too much room, you could run some beads or something fancy in front, or even a sliding door into the wall behind the island. Since this is now sectioned off, there's room for another, smaller cabinet, which extends from the island and up to the roof, as well as south towards the bathroom wall. This can't be as deep as the others, so I've made it 1' deep, and I figured that would be deep enough to have room for some shoes. I've made a drawing of that to illustrate;
imXfyo.png
The island is now to the left, and there's room for a lot of shoes above. I have no idea how high ceilings you have, so I guessed that 8' 4" would be close enough.

Thanks for your time and help. I appreciate it I initially didnt like your suggestions but I showed it to my wife and she liked it. I have incorporate some of the changes you suggested and it looks like this now.
imDlAI.JPG
imH8pg.JPG

henrikc

Reaction score
Sorry for my incredibly late answer, I've been rather busy studying for my finals. Nice to know that she liked them, I appreciate that! The new drawing looks good. I would consider removing the small wall to the "south" to create a more open space between the bed and the sofa/TV area, but obviously that's a personal preference. It will remove some of the privacy between the TV area and the bed though. One idea is to add some kind of sliding "wall", along the lines of this: (on both sides)
japanese-bathroom.jpg
Granted that it fits with the rest of the planned interior, obviously. Those would let some light through, and if needed you can close off the TV area without getting the feeling that you've dramatically reduced the size of the room, since light will peek through and it's so think. Since you're hiring a professional he/she will probably make a few changes to make it look even better, but the floor plan as it is now is a good one. It helps define two separate areas while still keeping a rather open space, and I think you're utilizing the size of the room very well. The very best of luck to you and your renovating, and needless to say, post pictures when it's done.

tshaw

Reaction score
J - swap the bathroom and closet with each other, cause otherwise you have to walk through the closet everytime you need to spend some 'quiet time'.... Not sure what country you're in, but here in USA building codes do not allow that - also, it seems more practical.....

imDlAI.JPG

imH8pg.JPG

Albert11

Reaction score
By sharing the graphical design you have made your idea clear. I suggest you it would be better if you contact any experienced home improvement people. They will help you to renovate your house in a modern way. Make sure that they are professional and experienced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics