• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Reconfigure This Bespoke Tweed Jacket (Lots of Pics)

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Asia, I became seduced by all the cheap tailoring and decided to commission a casual tweed jacket for weekend use with jeans.

Using a beautiful green Donegal tweed from John G. Hardy, the tailor misunderstood my intentions and came up with this quasi-Nehru jacket thingy. Frankly, I don't like it - the collar is too high and stiff and the fly front makes it more suitable for Blofeld's highland retreat.

So, what can I do (alterations-wise) to make this cooler? I don't think I can convert this into standard lapels given the fly-front (see third pic - the lining is the backing). Any easy changes come to mind? I intend to change the buttons to dark-brown horn.

EDIT: Can't get any more of the fabric - its from the old Alsport.

010-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

012-3.jpg

015-3.jpg

014-3.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting...what about buying a small bit more fabric and converting the collar into a shirt collar and making it a shirt-jacket? You could also add an additional patch pocket to the right hand side if you choose. Wherever you purchased the fabric originally just try to see if you can have them cut more from the same bolt.

Good luck!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Interesting...what about buying a small bit more fabric and converting the collar into a shirt collar and making it a shirt-jacket? You could also add an additional patch pocket to the right hand side if you choose. Wherever you purchased the fabric originally just try to see if you can have them cut more from the same bolt.

Good luck!

Thanks - sadly they no longer make the fabric. I bought it from the old Alsport.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I dont have enough expertise to offer on the recut of the jacket, but I will say that the lining is super cool, and you have nice hands.

Ha. Thanks - the lining is silk and is from Beckenstein's in NY.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks - sadly they no longer make the fabric. I bought it from the old Alsport.

Hmmm...perhaps you could ask the tailor for any remaining fabric that he didn't use? He may have thrown it out, but perhaps not. It also might not hurt to contact Andrew Rogers or John G. Hardy to see if they have a very small (.25 meter-ish) piece lying around that could never be used for anything else.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks Slewfoot - not a bad idea.

Srivats: Really don't like this one. Would rather spend $100-$200 in alterations to get this working right.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would look better without the scarf under it I think. What does it look like with the collar folded down?

There is a similar design in the Engineered Garments collection, however the collar is slightly different:

159bf464.jpg

eg-fw-irv-olive1.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Frankly, I don't like it - the collar is too high and stiff and the fly front makes it more suitable for Blofeld's highland retreat.

I intend to change the buttons to dark-brown horn.

I wouldn't muck with it too much. Embrace your innner Gorsuch-alpine-yodeler and swap the buttons out for pressed horn buttons with a hunting design, or maybe rustic-finished stag horn buttons. Then wear as a light outdoor jacket.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave it. It something different.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think reconstructing it without any or the original cloth will be far from easy.

Whilst a disappointment to you it does not look that bad and would make a fine jacket with jeans - certainly unique and casual.

I would urge you to get to like it.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The core problem imo is the monochromatic look to the coat (forget the lining). Swapping the buttons is a good idea, but maybe line the pockets / collar in leather? Just thinking out aloud.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
maybe line the pockets / collar in leather? Just thinking out aloud.

Really like this idea - can this be done easily, now that the jacket has been completed?

Thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads