• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help Me Reconfigure This Bespoke Tweed Jacket (Lots of Pics)

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Asia, I became seduced by all the cheap tailoring and decided to commission a casual tweed jacket for weekend use with jeans.

Using a beautiful green Donegal tweed from John G. Hardy, the tailor misunderstood my intentions and came up with this quasi-Nehru jacket thingy. Frankly, I don't like it - the collar is too high and stiff and the fly front makes it more suitable for Blofeld's highland retreat.

So, what can I do (alterations-wise) to make this cooler? I don't think I can convert this into standard lapels given the fly-front (see third pic - the lining is the backing). Any easy changes come to mind? I intend to change the buttons to dark-brown horn.

EDIT: Can't get any more of the fabric - its from the old Alsport.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting...what about buying a small bit more fabric and converting the collar into a shirt collar and making it a shirt-jacket? You could also add an additional patch pocket to the right hand side if you choose. Wherever you purchased the fabric originally just try to see if you can have them cut more from the same bolt.

Good luck!

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Interesting...what about buying a small bit more fabric and converting the collar into a shirt collar and making it a shirt-jacket? You could also add an additional patch pocket to the right hand side if you choose. Wherever you purchased the fabric originally just try to see if you can have them cut more from the same bolt.

Good luck!

Thanks - sadly they no longer make the fabric. I bought it from the old Alsport.

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I dont have enough expertise to offer on the recut of the jacket, but I will say that the lining is super cool, and you have nice hands.

Ha. Thanks - the lining is silk and is from Beckenstein's in NY.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks - sadly they no longer make the fabric. I bought it from the old Alsport.

Hmmm...perhaps you could ask the tailor for any remaining fabric that he didn't use? He may have thrown it out, but perhaps not. It also might not hurt to contact Andrew Rogers or John G. Hardy to see if they have a very small (.25 meter-ish) piece lying around that could never be used for anything else.

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Slewfoot - not a bad idea.

Srivats: Really don't like this one. Would rather spend $100-$200 in alterations to get this working right.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would look better without the scarf under it I think. What does it look like with the collar folded down?

There is a similar design in the Engineered Garments collection, however the collar is slightly different:

F. Corbera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Frankly, I don't like it - the collar is too high and stiff and the fly front makes it more suitable for Blofeld's highland retreat.

I intend to change the buttons to dark-brown horn.

I wouldn't muck with it too much. Embrace your innner Gorsuch-alpine-yodeler and swap the buttons out for pressed horn buttons with a hunting design, or maybe rustic-finished stag horn buttons. Then wear as a light outdoor jacket.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave it. It something different.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think reconstructing it without any or the original cloth will be far from easy.

Whilst a disappointment to you it does not look that bad and would make a fine jacket with jeans - certainly unique and casual.

I would urge you to get to like it.

Panzeraxe II

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The core problem imo is the monochromatic look to the coat (forget the lining). Swapping the buttons is a good idea, but maybe line the pockets / collar in leather? Just thinking out aloud.

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
maybe line the pockets / collar in leather? Just thinking out aloud.

Really like this idea - can this be done easily, now that the jacket has been completed?

Thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.