• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Please - What Is The Best Hair Product For Styling

Hey Man

Reaction score
Hey All,

With the crazy amount of hair products out there (gel, mousse, fiber, creams, pomade, etc.) - what do you find to be the best styling product for use with towel dried hair.

For myself, my hair is a little longer (slightly past my ears), straight and I part it in the middle or slightly off to the side. The problem I find sometimes is that my hair won't part properly, as hairs from one side of the part cross to the other side of the part. Criss crossing if you know what I mean. I also have a cowlick on one side of my part so it's hard to keep that in check.

What I need is a product that grabs the hair, provides hair seperation and just makes styling simple with a comb or brush. But doesn't get crusty or sticky when it dries. I would prefer a natural hold. For my hair length - I find that gel and mousse don't work well and if I brush it out later, my hair goes flat and frizzy. I need all day hold that remains even if I put my hands or a brush through my hair.

I would just really appreciate if you could recommend the best styling product out there and a step by step on how to use it. I would for once like to be able to have the same hairstyle each day.

My hair is kinda like this

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/T...ig/photo32.jpg

would like it to grow to something like this

http://www.waposdecine.com/andygarcia/ag50g.jpg

Thanks a million

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Use paul mitchell leave in conditioner and brush your hair a lot.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Devil,

What does leave in conditioner do? How do you use it?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Gatsby Moving rubber, it is the absolute ****! I can get spiky or down with my hair (btw I use the pink container one, its like Spiky something) and it doesnt get crunchy or anything. If I dont like the way my hair looks i just give a it quick adjust and its exactly what I want. Best part of all is my hair can be changed mid day with out it flaking out or anything

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
clusg27925.jpg

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Hey All,

With the crazy amount of hair products out there (gel, mousse, fiber, creams, pomade, etc.) - what do you find to be the best styling product for use with towel dried hair.

For myself, my hair is a little longer (slightly past my ears), straight and I part it in the middle or slightly off to the side. The problem I find sometimes is that my hair won't part properly, as hairs from one side of the part cross to the other side of the part. Criss crossing if you know what I mean. I also have a cowlick on one side of my part so it's hard to keep that in check.

What I need is a product that grabs the hair, provides hair seperation and just makes styling simple with a comb or brush. But doesn't get crusty or sticky when it dries. I would prefer a natural hold. For my hair length - I find that gel and mousse don't work well and if I brush it out later, my hair goes flat and frizzy. I need all day hold that remains even if I put my hands or a brush through my hair.

I would just really appreciate if you could recommend the best styling product out there and a step by step on how to use it. I would for once like to be able to have the same hairstyle each day.

My hair is kinda like this

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/T...ig/photo32.jpg

would like it to grow to something like this

http://www.waposdecine.com/andygarcia/ag50g.jpg

Thanks a million

Nothing will replace a good cut but how you put the stuff in matters a whole lot.If your having to brush it out, you've got too much on the hair.Garcia's hair looks natural.
I use a Jason product called Stuck Up.I don't like the fragrance but it has just the right holding power for me.
Just a small amount goes a long way.
I used to have hair like Garcia's and you use your hand to push it back into place during the day.
It adds alot of oil doing that and if you use too much
holding power your hair looks dirty fast.
The key is, put it on starting at the back of the head and move forward,
using as little of the stuff as possible.
Hope this is of some help.

trogdor

Reaction score
Dax Super-Neat: here. It's cheap as chips and water-rinseable (so it won't irritate your scalp, or gum up your hair). I don't know where you are, so I don't know if you'll be able to get hold of it.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
rule #1, if you're one of those fortunate people that can pull off middle parts thats ok, but if you're not, which 90% are, then a side part.

i too once grew my hair out as long as the second picture, and there are 2 things you need to do

1. get trims every 2 or 3 months at a very good, salon quality stylist. it'll cost at least $20 but these people usually know what they are doing when it comes to guys with long hair. next time you see a girl or guy with a great haircut, ask em where they get their haircut -- it might be awkward but you gotta start somwhere. anyway, if you don't want to shell out the money to get trims, you can go through the awkward 'growing out' phase. i had to get trims bc i have really thick hair and it would lose its shape and be unmanageable, and really ugly if i didn't.

2. my miracle product for when i was growing my hair out was Kiehl's Creme w/ Silk Groom. if you have thin hair it might endup making it look flat, but for me it was perfect to rub a dime to quarter size amount in my hair right out of the shower, do a real quick, not so precise side part and go. it left my hair really soft and manageable, and it had a nice sheen once it had air dryed. major plus was you could touch it and it wouldn't feel like there was anything in it.

i think the thing to pulling off long hair is it being natural/touchable looking. you should be able to run your fingers through it, not get it stuck in a bunch of gunk. if your part is slightly crooked, or not a straight line, its fine.

Hey Man

Reaction score
sbbbjm,

Yes I am one of the few that can do the middle part. That's how my hair has always been. I have a good haircut and I get cuts every couple of months, but sometimes my hair is hard to manage as it is very thick like yours.

I have started to use American Crew Texture Cream and it's actually pretty good. But I will check out the Kiehl's Creme w/ Silk Groom.

Thanks

Hey Man

Reaction score
caelte,

It isn't that I have to brush it out per se, but I find myself putting my hands through my hair during the day out of habit and then I eventually brush it again to restyle it.

Because my hair is thick, it doesn't dry the exact same way as I originally styled it with product. I could walk to the bedroom from the bathroom and my bangs start to fall down because of the heaviness of my hair.

It's different when you have short hair - you can just style and go. But when your hair is thick, long and heavy - it's hard to keep it in place, without using a ton of product that makes your hair sticky and crusty when it dries.

JRinDC

Reaction score
I have similar hair, although I don't wear my part quite as rigidly as you do. I like the Bumble & Bumble Leave in Conditioner followed by some Bumble & Bumble Styling Creme. If my hair is really working well, and the weather is perfect (particularly right after a cut), I'll only use Kerastase Lumiessence, which provides shine but very little hold. If you need something thicker, although it can weigh you down, TIGI's Bed Head Manipulator is surprisingly good goop at a fair price.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For hair like that my favorite is Foggia wax. It is Japanese, and as far as I know only available there. But if you live in NYC, you can get it at 55th and Park I think, at a salon called Salon Ishi. Its $27 or something, but after the crap I went through with cheap waxes, it is worth it and lasts a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads