• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick out a new watch...

Scuttlebutt

Reaction score
I'm in my early 20s, and currently own two watches: a Movado Museum (black lizard skin band) and a Skagen, white face, brown leather band. The end. Edit: I forgot about a nice looking Seiko that I left at my now-ex-girlfriend's house. Come to find out she brought it to a pawn shop. Damn her. I'm looking for a somewhat dressy watch that can still be worn casually (or in SF's opinion, I am looking for a casual watch
laugh.gif
) Church, going out, going to class, etc. I'm not into wearing hockey puck sized watches to show off. The Movado is the perfect size for me. I think I want to go the vintage route. Thinking an old Omega or Longines. Something under $300 or so. Any ideas on what I should look for? Any other suggestions on a modern (new) clean/conservative looking watch? Thanks for any ideas.

Saltricks

Reaction score
something that looks like the rolex submariner.

I'm looking at the seiko diver watch

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scuttlebutt

I think I want to go the vintage route. Thinking an old Omega or Longines. Something under $300 or so.

The problem with an under-$300 vintage name-brand watch is that you're buying a pig in a poke. What you buy, despite the protestations of the Ebay-seller, probably has NOT "recently been fully serviced by a reputable watchmaker." Such a service itself is well more than $150.

I would stay away from "vintage" in your price range unless you are willing to roll the dice and end up with a nice looking piece that is accurate but twice daily.

Bandit44

Reaction score
For you price range, I'd try to find a watch less than 5 years old with modern dimensions and a vintage design. Seiko, Hamilton, Citizen, Bulova, and Jacques Lemans all produce watches in you price range. If you purchase a vintage Omega or other mechanical watch, expect to pay $400 or more in additional service costs every five years. I just got back my Omega from the service center and it cost me about $450. Rolex charges even more.

Scuttlebutt

Reaction score
Hmm...I was really looking for something that not everyone else (at least my age) has.

I admittedly don't know much about vintage watches, but would love to have an old school movement (manual, but if I could snag an automatic in my price range, that would be really sweet).

What if I upped my budget to $600? I mean, it could be something that could last the rest of my life, right? $600 for either a modern or vintage watch. Just to get my feet wet.

Are there any reputable online retailers I could look for for vintage? I might take the risk of getting something >$100 on ebay that may or may not be good, but I need to do some more research first.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude............you want a steak for the price of a cheeseburger? Not gonna happen.

If it does, consider it a personal favor from God...........buy a powerball ticket!

You'd be hard pressed to get an Omega for $300.......at least one worth buying. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads