• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my NYE attire.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, wear the HF! The Despos is a stunner, truly, but a SBPL is more fun and takes away the business-quality of a suit. Plus, as others have alluded, you'll want to match. I would wear a tie that has her favorite color in it...

~ H

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pwy95a

1. She... might appreciate that you two "match"...

Originally Posted by Huntsman
you'll want to match.

What is this perseveration with "matching"? It is this kind of thought that ends up in horrific wedding outfits.

Not that the OP is thinking about weddings just yet?!

Leon

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
What is this perseveration with "matching"? It is this kind of thought that ends up in horrific wedding outfits. Not that the OP is thinking about weddings just yet?! Leon
I did not know 'perseveration' -- thank you for that. OK, it's not so much the matching, and especially not in the awful wedding attire way, but is more about not clashing. He will want to look good with her in the pictures that will inevitably be taken. He will neither want to clash nor be repetitive; rather he will want to harmonize. ~ H

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of these do you picture with champagne and lipstick on it?
devil.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Alliswell, is going for monochrome based on some "convention", or just personal preference?

Preference for evening, moreso as NYE is something of an 'occasion'. Though I'll be in sweats, so what do I know?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Thinking ahead, which ensemble looks better with no pants? - B
Hadn't considered that. Very good question and the reason that I continue to come here for advice. One must consider these things. Also I'll need to be discerning about the style of lampshade I select for my head. If I go with the HF, the peak lapels could clash with certain styles. As long as its a neutral color, though, I should be fine with either suit.
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Oh, wear the HF! The Despos is a stunner, truly, but a SBPL is more fun and takes away the business-quality of a suit. Plus, as others have alluded, you'll want to match. I would wear a tie that has her favorite color in it... ~ H
I'm leaning more toward the peaks at this point.
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Which of these do you picture with champagne and lipstick on it?
devil.gif

I think it's a tossup.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I voted HF/A5 but A4 is a close second. The Despos suit was my first choice until I read that you've worn it twice with her already.

Actually, the more I think about it I think I've only worn the Despos once with her. I think the second time I wore a different HF MTM suit in a charcoal brown glen check. That one doesn't seem right for this event however.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Actually, the more I think about it I think I've only worn the Despos once with her. I think the second time I wore a different HF MTM suit in a charcoal brown glen check. That one doesn't seem right for this event however.
Then I'd wear the Despos. It sounds like the best fitting and nicest suit that you have. She wants your best tonight.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Blue suit, either the houndstooth or the blue satin tie. White shirt (of course) and black shoes.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm certain that this is a mistake, but if anyone is interested, here's another range of tie choices. I won't include them in the poll because...well because I can't and because it's too friggin' long anyway. The one on the far right is included mainly as a joke, though I suppose if you were ever to wear it, NYE would be the time (or graduation from clown college, one or the other). The blue/black/violet basket weave though is a legitimate choice and should have been included in the original groupings. Any of these strike anyone? C1 Carrot & Gibbs bowtie red with blue pin dots C2 Carrot & Gibbs bowtie yellow with geometic pattern C3 Thomas Pink, navy with pink pindots C4 Ike Behar blue/black/violet basketweave C5 Massimo Bizzochi yellow with yellow and blue flowers C6 Hugo Boss solid silver in patterned silk C7 Robert Talbott Best of Class purple, black, blue and whatever paisley
SuitPictures021.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm certain that this is a mistake

+1.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
+1.

Off work today, can you tell I'm bored? Trying to avoid taking the Christmas tree down.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
My first instinct - for what it's worth - was HFA2. You have such good options though it's difficult to imagine that you can go wrong with any of the combos. Happy New Year.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Thinking my other head, which ensemble looks better with no pants?

- B

FIFY.

Seriously, Suit 1 and A4.

- M

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C3 Thomas Pink, navy with pink pindots

This is my favourite of all the ties, and could probably look good with either of the suits (though I voted for the HF, if only because of you wearing the Despos on both previous dates).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads