• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my next 2 pairs of shoes (pictures of current shoes included)

zerostyle

Reaction score
Here's my goal:

To own as few shoes as possible with the most versatility.

About me: prefer non-flashy shoes, but with some design

Here's what I have right now:

cgmIb.png

Work - I am rotating between 2 pair, a cheap pair of black captoes that are falling apart, and a dark cherry pair of quarter brogues.

Casual - AE strands in dark/medium brown for more dressy settings, Clark DB's for more casual settings.

What should I purchase next? Here's what I'm thinking:

Work - Will be ditching the cheap black captoes.
Option 1: I was thinking that I'd replace them with a dark brown Park Avenue, but is it silly to have 2 dark brown, fairly simple shoes? (Would be close to the J&M Aldrich II but with less of a red shade). My workplace is very simple, so I don't want anything too showy.
Option 2: No idea? Maybe a ligher, tan colored shoe?

Casual - I love the strands, but they feel too fancy to me for some occasions. The Clark DB's are nice, but too casual. I'm trying to find something in between these two.

Option 1: I'm thinking maybe a medium/lighter brown longwing like the MacNeil? Again, I don't want to end up with 2 shades of brown that are too similar if people can barely tell them apart.

Option 2: Some kind of boot, completely undecided

Option 3: I'd really like to add a dark brown suede chukka in the mix, but this also feels quite casual, comparable to the clark DB

Would love your ideas!

I'm still a bit hesitant to purchase walnut color shoes in general, just because. Also, it's worth noting that I'm in the NorthEast, so snow is always around and I'll probably need some kind of non-leather soled option. (could be in addition to the shoes in this rotation).

Last edited:

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you wear at work

how much are you out of doors during the day

what sort of weather do you experience where you live

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, let me say you have a nice collection of shoes there that can cover a variety of situations. Keep in mind that this is my personal taste:

Work - I'd get a pair of black cap toe oxfords
Casual - A pair of brown Chelsea boots.

RZach

Reaction score
IMO, I don't see any reason you couldn't add the Strands to your work rotation as well. Assuming you're in a business casual environment I think they're totally appropriate, and it helps accomplish your goal of having a few, versatile shoes.

Beyond that, some may disagree, but I think having one pair of conservative black shoes your'e happy with is a really safe way to go. If your'e going to ditch the ones you have, I think you probably need to buy new ones.

I bought a pair of Swims to wear in inclement weather, at least for work purposes where I can easily take them off once i'm in the office.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
For work, if you're looking for a lighter, tan shoe, without being too showy, the Macneils in walnut are a good change of pace, though they're fairly casual. I have it, and I think the pebble grain makes them look a little darker and lessy showy than other walnut models. With your limited shoe collection, I wouldn't get the 5th Ave in the same color as you already have the Strand. If you want something a bit more formal, just get the Macneil in burgundy. If you really need to replace your black captoe, why not just get the 5th Ave in black?

As far as casual shoes, I have the Malvern. It has a rubber sole and looks ok with a tweed blazer. Though a bit more casual even than the Malvern, I also think these look nice and would still be an upgrade over your Clarks:

Kiowa
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...atalogEntryId&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

Big Sur

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1891_1_40000000001_-1

San Marco

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5722C_1_40000000001_-1

Allen Edmonds is about the only maker I have any knowledge of, so someone else will have to weigh in and recommend other brands.

Last edited:

zerostyle

Reaction score

what do you wear at work
how much are you out of doors during the day
what sort of weather do you experience where you live

Work wear is pretty much always just a dress shirt + slacks (suit and tie maybe 2-3 times a year).

Outdoors/weather is a significant issue. I have about a 15minute walk to and from work every day in the DC area. We can have snow on the ground for as long as 4 months during the winter. Rain is obviously also an issue, and currently the dress shoes I'm looking at all have leather soles.

I have no idea how people can afford a mix of shoes that cover casual, dress, and multiple weather conditions.

zerostyle

Reaction score

Firstly, let me say you have a nice collection of shoes there that can cover a variety of situations. Keep in mind that this is my personal taste:

Work - I'd get a pair of black cap toe oxfords
Casual - A pair of brown Chelsea boots.

Funny, with all the hatred of black around here. It certainly can't hurt to have a nice pair of black Park Avenue's though, especially at only $200 or so.

Any recommendations for chelsea boots? I was originally leaning towards the MacNeil's for wear with jeans, but it might be smart to have a less fancy shoe.

When the Aldrich II's finally get worn down I'll just replace them with a brown 5th avenue. They were only $90 or so, so no big deal.

Last edited:

cwh812

Reaction score
How about a monk strap? The AE Mora might do well in your rotation - can be both casual and dress.

zerostyle

Reaction score

How about a monk strap? The AE Mora might do well in your rotation - can be both casual and dress.

Honestly, it spans both nicely, but I don't feel that I can "pull off" monk straps. They just seem a little too different to me. I'm just starting to dress better, and I think I'd feel uncomfortable with them. The Aldrich II's I'm comfy in because they have minimal broguing. The Strands, while crazier, have a dark brown color that make the detail a bit more subtle.

sns23

Reaction score
My goal is to have as many shoes as possible. AE Fifth Avenue might be good for both casual and dress

Last edited:

zerostyle

Reaction score

My goal is to have as many shoes as possible. AE Fifth Avenue might be good for both casual and dress

Except that the Aldrich II's I have above are basically just a cheaper version of the Fifth Avenue from J&M, so for now that option is out. ( The J&M's will be replaced by Fifth Avenues when they are worn out).

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, with all the hatred of black around here. It certainly can't hurt to have a nice pair of black Park Avenue's though, especially at only $200 or so.
Any recommendations for chelsea boots? I was originally leaning towards the MacNeil's for wear with jeans, but it might be smart to have a less fancy shoe.
When the Aldrich II's finally get worn down I'll just replace them with a brown 5th avenue. They were only $90 or so, so no big deal.

I have a couple of pairs of RM Williams chelseas. Baxter boots are also very good. It all depends on your budget. There are a few at Pediwear at a number of price points but I don't have personal experience with any of them: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/shoetype/chelsea+boot.php

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics