• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my first pair of Vass MTOs

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Really? It seems rounder and less shaped than the 82. I'd like to see what Vass could put up against the Dover on the 82.

Your Dover on the 82's were quite nice. On some models and sizes the 82 seems fine. But most of the time to my eye it seems a bit too tube like for me. The F-last seems to be a happy medium betwee the 202 and 82.

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ditto

to OP:
a very clean Balmoral in rare shell FTW
a.k.a. the EG Gladstone

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did my question about what calf Vass shoes get into a discussion about EG lasts?
tongue.gif
I think what Vox said is essentially what I'm going for. I was hoping for more technical details along the lines of what he mentioned (suggestions on the sole etc.).

FWIW, the EGs I'm planning will be something along the lines of the EG Oundle/RLPL Grant, but with a tweak or two, but that's outside of the context of this discussion.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only Vass MTO purchase was for an Oxblood calf. Its quite nice & I like it

At times I can pair it with brown suits too as their is a hue of brown to it...thus I found this Oxblood to be more versatile than I had originally planned

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Those Adelaides are sweeeeeet...F-last, I presume? I've become quite enamored with that last recently. It has excellent balance. It seems to be what the 82 wishes it could be.

D it is better than the 82, it is a very clean classic last not too sleek and not too stumpy - IMO it is the best round toed last out there

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I've decided to try out a Vass and with kolecho placing an order soon, the time just seems right. I'm set on a very classic balmoral captoe with no medallion in a dark brown on the F last. Stylistically I want to keep a couple of things including the double to single sole taper. I want this to be my go to brown shoe but keep a little of the Vass trademarks. I'll probably add metal toe taps, but beyond that, I'm at a loss. I ask the forum to help me decide the following: 1) Type of captoe...punched or not? A tiny bit of pizzaz can't go out of style right? 2) Sizing...I decided against the U last since C&J took care of me with the 348. FWIW, I'm a Brannock 10.5C, a 9.5E UK in the C&J 348 and 240, 10D in the RL Darlton, etc. Basically somewhere between a US 10D and a slightly narrow US 10.5. My guess is 44 in the F? 3) Color. I want something dark brown, so no cognac, oxblood etc. There's always 'dark brown' itself. I'm looking at just calf for this shoe.
I am US 10.5 and I wear 43.5 in F last, so I think your F last size should be 43 or 43.5, 44 is definitely too big for you. Have you also considered ankle boots or high boots?
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
For you, I suggest an Adelaide, like the one on the right, but with a punch cap instead of the floating medallion:
346440808_SPXWu-XL.jpg
- B

Do you store all your shoes at the office? Have your colleagues walked in on you taking pictures of tableful of shoes?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I am US 10.5 and I wear 43.5 in F last, so I think your F last size should be 43 or 43.5, 44 is definitely too big for you. Have you also considered ankle boots or high boots?

+1

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
...their regular oxfords are nice but I don't think as special.

- B

classic is the word you are looking for...
wink.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by walneal
ditto

to OP:
a very clean Balmoral in rare shell FTW
a.k.a. the EG Gladstone

Or the Beaulieu?

EG MTO Beaulieu, #8 Shell Cordovan, 808 Last

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Or the Beaulieu?

EG MTO Beaulieu, #8 Shell Cordovan, 808 Last

vass blows them out of the water... ...easily.

back to topic
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
vass blows them out of the water... ...easily.

back to topic
smile.gif

Like these??

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Like these??
yep, but the op is looking for f-last adelaides. c'mon, iirc, you have a bunch of them. i don't post paprika here either, just because, i feel it would be inappropriate...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all. I've been in contact with Leong a bit and I'm set on the Adelaide in a punch cap/no medallion double JR sole to single at the waist taper with metal toe taps on the F last in a 43.5 (I love incoherent run-ons).

The last question perplexes me a tiny bit. Dark brown, bordeaux, or oxblood? As a staple shoe, I want to lean towards dark brown calf. I have a couple of shells at the moment...should I do it again here? The leather choice is all I have left.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
staple = dark brown i am absolutely smitten with those wholecuts that bigbris posted
inlove.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown is very nice. Just lighter than dark chocolate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads