• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my first pair of Vass MTOs

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to try out a Vass and with kolecho placing an order soon, the time just seems right. I'm set on a very classic balmoral captoe with no medallion in a dark brown on the F last. Stylistically I want to keep a couple of things including the double to single sole taper. I want this to be my go to brown shoe but keep a little of the Vass trademarks.

I'll probably add metal toe taps, but beyond that, I'm at a loss. I ask the forum to help me decide the following:

1) Type of captoe...punched or not? A tiny bit of pizzaz can't go out of style right?

2) Sizing...I decided against the U last since C&J took care of me with the 348. FWIW, I'm a Brannock 10.5C, a 9.5E UK in the C&J 348 and 240, 10D in the RL Darlton, etc. Basically somewhere between a US 10D and a slightly narrow US 10.5. My guess is 44 in the F?

3) Color. I want something dark brown, so no cognac, oxblood etc. There's always 'dark brown' itself. I'm looking at just calf for this shoe.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this would be my config

F last - single or double sole
Antique Cognac Box Claf
Punched cap Oxfords

simple clean and elegant - hell, in fact i am wearing them today!!
laugh.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
For you, I suggest an Adelaide, like the one on the right, but with a punch cap instead of the floating medallion:

346440808_SPXWu-XL.jpg

- B

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox,the adelaides are very very nice,they are on my list
devil.gif

Is it shell?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
For you, I suggest an Adelaide, like the one on the right, but with a punch cap instead of the floating medallion:

346440808_SPXWu-XL.jpg

- B

That was going to be my exact suggestion. Adelaide, punch cap with no medallion.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
That was going to be my exact suggestion. Adelaide, punch cap with no medallion.

Vass does a handsome Adelaide...their regular oxfords are nice but I don't think as special.

- B

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you, I suggest an Adelaide, like the one on the right, but with a punch cap instead of the floating medallion: - B
This has essentially slotted itself into slot #1 in dark brown.
Originally Posted by forex
Vox,the adelaides are very very nice,they are on my list
devil.gif
Is it shell?

Vox and aportnoy make the line between worn/new as blurred as that between calf/shell.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Here you go.
? That's in a different last, a different size, different style, and different color.
Originally Posted by Baron
I love positive reinforcement.
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
This has essentially slotted itself into slot #1 in dark brown.

One thing to ask your able intermediary is if you can request the sole to be cut close.

I never do because I prefer a slight rustic effect on Vass, and let the Northampton shoes play the urbe. But, if you are thinking of this as a workhorse suit shoe, see about asking for a close trimmed sole, even with the double to single.

Also ask for a Reddenbach sole...you'll lose the fancy sole painting that goes with the Ugolini Vass, but the Reddenbach is closer to the quality of a the best oak tanned English soles.

- B

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to ask your able intermediary is if you can request the sole to be cut close. I never do because I prefer a slight rustic effect on Vass, and let the Northampton shoes play the urbe. But, if you are thinking of this as a workhorse suit shoe, see about asking for a close trimmed sole, even with the double to single. Also ask for a Reddenbach sole...you'll lose the fancy sole painting that goes with the Ugolini Vass, but the Reddenbach is closer to the quality of a the best oak tanned English soles. - B
I thought the J. R. soles were the Vass default despite having seen other soles
blush.gif
, but I will be sure to mention this in the order. This is a sizing/staple shoe for me despite those two concepts being somewhat diametrically opposed. I also had no idea the outsole could be ordered cut closer, but I sort of want to keep the Vass flavor. I have a similar concept (that is a shoe that is in keeping true to the manufacturer's style) I'm considering in monk form with EG so I'll be okay if the Vass wants to present itself as a Vass. EDIT: For how much whnay. complains that this forum isn't big timer enough, it sure has small timer uptime.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Adelaides are sweeeeeet...F-last, I presume? I've become quite enamored with that last recently. It has excellent balance. It seems to be what the 82 wishes it could be.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? It seems rounder and less shaped than the 82. I'd like to see what Vass could put up against the Dover on the 82.

hws

Reaction score
One thing to ask your able intermediary is if you can request the sole to be cut close. I never do because I prefer a slight rustic effect on Vass, and let the Northampton shoes play the urbe. But, if you are thinking of this as a workhorse suit shoe, see about asking for a close trimmed sole, even with the double to single. Also ask for a Reddenbach sole...you'll lose the fancy sole painting that goes with the Ugolini Vass, but the Reddenbach is closer to the quality of a the best oak tanned English soles. - B
Is Rendenbach!
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads