• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my 3rd AE shoe

rsmcclelland

Reaction score
Just starting out with my business/business casual work wardrobe. I have Black PAs and the Dark Brown FAs currently, and was looking to get another brown shoe. Looking at getting the McAllisters in Merlot or the Strands in the Dark Brown color. I love the Strands in Dark Brown, but was thinking I might want to get the Merlot McAllisters first to get a different color in the rotation.

Thoughts? Would it be too much to have the FAs and Strands in the same color?

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
The Strand definitely is different enough from the Fifth Avenue so that having the same color would be in those shoes would be OK. Getting your thirs AE shoe in Merlot would be a nice mix also. Also have you considered the Strand in Walnut?

asdf

Reaction score
brown suede mora
shell macneil
walnut bel air

Brogued

Reaction score
I'd go with either the McAllister in merlot or the Strand in walnut. Both would be good additions.

rsmcclelland

Reaction score
Hmm...maybe I should go with the McAllisters in merlot now and eventually get the Strand in walnut.

What color trousers do you all normally wear the walnut color shoes with?

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsmcclelland
Hmm...maybe I should go with the McAllisters in merlot now and eventually get the Strand in walnut.

What color trousers do you all normally wear the walnut color shoes with?

Light to medium grey and light to medium brown. Cream looks great.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
I'd go with either the McAllister in merlot or the Strand in walnut. Both would be good additions.

+1

Having something in merlot is a nice for the mix, but the Strand is probably my favorite AE shoe. McAllister may be a touch more versatile, but the Strand is a nicer looking shoe, IMO.

joz411no

Reaction score
McAllister in Merlot. You need a burgundy-esque shoe since you have black and brown. You won't regret it.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have the dark colors covered. Get walnut Strands or another tan shoe.

Save burgundy colored for shell cordovan, later...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are AE shoes? Is one shoe an A width and the other of the pair an E?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
McAllister in Merlot. You need a burgundy-esque shoe since you have black and brown. You won't regret it.

+1 Great advice. The lighter colors are very cool, but if you only have 2 pairs, I'd get burgundy before acquiring the lighter color. Believe me, it won't take long before you acquire your 4th, 5th, 6th, etc...

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
What are AE shoes? Is one shoe an A width and the other of the pair an E?
Only if they're seconds.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I think both the Strand and the McAllister are fine choices, with the Strand perhaps slightly better in my book since I have a pair. I also have a pair of MacNeils in walnut grain, which is significantly darker than on the Strand -- more of a chestnut. They're extremely versatile, and look as good with jeans and cords as with dress slacks (though I wouldn't wear them with a suit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads