• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick first pocket square

Lightbringer

Reaction score
The tie is a bit ehh. The shirt is alright, but would be better as a plain blue.

Consider wearing a white shirt if the wedding more formal, and a plainer tie.

A good "first" pocket square is yes, a white linen. This works particularly well if you like wearing white shirts, as it leads to a very sharp look. Otherwise consider getting a cream silk square, which works wonderfully for blue shirts.

qhduong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
The tie is a bit ehh. The shirt is alright, but would be better as a plain blue.

Consider wearing a white shirt if the wedding more formal, and a plainer tie.

A good "first" pocket square is yes, a white linen. This works particularly well if you like wearing white shirts, as it leads to a very sharp look. Otherwise consider getting a cream silk square, which works wonderfully for blue shirts.

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually considered wearing a white shirt, but that seemed a little plain and the wedding is a little bit more on the casual side (I know some that are only wearing a dress shirt and slacks). The tie is 100% silk, so would a silk pocket square work or should it be linen?

Arsenal

Reaction score
Any particular reason you want to wear that tie?

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qhduong
Thanks for the quick reply. I actually considered wearing a white shirt, but that seemed a little plain and the wedding is a little bit more on the casual side (I know some that are only wearing a dress shirt and slacks). The tie is 100% silk, so would a silk pocket square work or should it be linen?

Both silk or linen could work... I'm really sorry, but I strongly dislike the tie.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
Both silk or linen could work... I'm really sorry, but I strongly dislike the tie.

x2

Get a grenadine tie. Or linen, I really like the linen right now
thumbs-up.gif

But yeah, get a white linen pocket square.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
If you do decide to go for that shirt/tie combo, I probably wouldn't even keep a pocket square.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
You can't go wrong with a white linen pocket square..........

+ 1

A timeless classic.

qhduong

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll go buy a white linen pocket square tomorrow then. I don't know why everyone hates the tie lol, I think it's pretty nice.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tie should be burned or avoided.

Pocket square - your choice.

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Or this guy: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...yMK5cE7kE3Zbfg Definitely showing my age, but Leland McKenzie from L.A. Law always looked dapper--and always wore a white pocket square folded as shown above. While I'm sure the OP is not interested in looking like a 60+ year-old lawyer from an '80s TV show, the white pocket square is--as was said above--a timeless classic, whether folded or inserted as a pouf (as seen in several posts above from pocketsquareguy). AEP edit: Apologies: I seem unable to get the image itself to paste--only the link. Such are my patetic computer skills.

Arsenal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qhduong
Thanks guys, I'll go buy a white linen pocket square tomorrow then. I don't know why everyone hates the tie lol, I think it's pretty nice.

Because it's hideous, and as far as ties go, not formal enough for a wedding. It reminds me of a tie Avril Lavigne would wear with a tee shirt while singing about wanting to **** pre-pubescent 'skater bois'.

As suggested, get a grenadine tie, or even a simple single color tie with no obvious texture.

Weddings aren't really the place to make fashion statements, or draw attention to yourself.

For the pocket square, go with white linen as said above. If you get anything with a pattern on it, while wearing that shirt and tie, I will personally come to the wedding and strangle you
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads