• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick a wool coat please! Duffle vs. Peacoat?

locallau

Reaction score
Hi, I posted earlier for some opinions on various winter wool coats I was debating on buying. I've got a few more I've picked-out that I'd like you guys to critique. Any suggestions are welcome as well. Prices shown are after coupons and such. Keep in mind that I'm 6'1" 150 pounds, pretty skinny, but not meek, of Asian descent, am a college student, and am going for a classic but unique look. The coat must be somewhat dressy, but not so much that I can't wear it around-campus without looking out of place. Fashion here is very reserved. Thanks!

1) Subscript Iceland Peacoat $180

http://www.tobi.com/product/5348-sub...kets-outerwear

The back pockets grow on you, and the removable hood is a great accessory. I also like how the buttons aren't the usual "anchor" ones.

2) Spiewak McKenzie Peacoat $130

http://www...........com/products.as...VendorCode=SPI

I like how it's herringbone and brown. However, I'm not so sure how the brown would bear the test of time in terms of it being trendy. Of all the options this is probably the most inviting in part because of its price.

3) Spiewak Nunatak Duffle coat $160

http://activeendeavors.com/product/2/3/3997/2977/

This coat seems very classic to me, very solid, but nothing too unique about it other than being a duffle coat. No other real comments about it.

4) Schott Duffle Coat $180

http://www.schottnyc.com/wool-clothi...uffle-coat.htm

I'm not really sure how its being unlined would make it colder. Any knowledge about this would be helpful. I like how it's different, practical, and classic at the same time. However, I can see this looking too bulky and big on me.

Two duffle coats and two peacoats. Very interested to hear your comments. Thanks. (Sorry of there's a thread of this sort already I haven't discovered in my searches).

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An important question should be, how long of a coat do you want?

The Schott duffle looks like it is the 'proper' duffle coat length. The other is more fashionable (short).

If you want a shorter jacket, get the pea coat. The pea coat is also a bit more formal.

I like a duffle coat myself, but I also have more formal overcoats.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ike the schott one the best. That nunatek is horrible and the others are rather boring to me.

locallau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
An important question should be, how long of a coat do you want?

The Schott duffle looks like it is the 'proper' duffle coat length. The other is more fashionable (short).

If you want a shorter jacket, get the pea coat. The pea coat is also a bit more formal.

I like a duffle coat myself, but I also have more formal overcoats.

Lengthwise, peacoat and duffle coat alike, I'd like it to land around my upper thigh.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get the Schott. 5 years from now, you'll still wear it and like it. I'm not sure how bulky the Schott is, though. Brooks Brothers make a slim-fit duffle coat, but it costs more.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're all ok and your choice should be the one that touches your heart. Nevertheless, since you waited this long, there are plenty of higher quality ones now going on sale in better fabrics such as cashmere that you might want to check out on, for instance, the web sites of Saks, Ralph Lauren, NM, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads