• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick a watch to buy

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about buying a new watch.
Something sporty, but still wearable with a suit.
In the $2,000 range (+-$500) with good resale value.
I like gold cases, brown croc straps and white faces
but im definately open to different looks.
I am not afraid of something bold.

What are my best options?

mikesduc

Reaction score
Go to tic-tock.com. They have a huge selection of new and pre owned Rolex plus many other brands. I have bought and sold with them way too much. They are absolutely the best place on the net for a watch. Buying used is the only way to go for Rolex if thats what you're after.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
A gold watch in that range is going to be tough (but not impossible). For that range, I would take a hard look at Omega. They are very highly respected, have a wide range of watches, and hold their value very well.

If you can do a steel case, you may like the Seamaster Aqua Terra on brown croc:

28023437tb9.jpg

This watch comes in different colors of faces (black, blue, silver, etc) and cases. The stainless steel versions are around $2K. The gold versions are around $5K.

They are a good size at 42mm. It can be hard to guage the size by looking at pictures on the internet.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I don't understand how a little gold plate can raise the cost so much. The actual amount of gold used is so small that it's hard to justify. A gold plated trumpet, which is 4 feet of twisted tubing, can be had in that range so i don't understand how a relatively tiny watch can go up in price thousands for a tiny amount of gold.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
^^^ I don't understand how a little gold plate can raise the cost so much. The actual amount of gold used is so small that it's hard to justify. A gold plated trumpet, which is 4 feet of twisted tubing, can be had in that range so i don't understand how a relatively tiny watch can go up in price thousands for a tiny amount of gold.
It is not gold plated, but solid gold. You don't find many gold plated watches anymore because of how they wear. Once the gold rubs off in various places is begins to look really bad.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
how about cartier's tank francais or santos? they're a bit pricier and cartier is first and foremost a jeweler, but my grandfather has a santos he's had from the 70's and it really is timeless and beautiful for formal and casual. they come in different finishes, bands, movements etc . . .

http://www.jomashop.com/cartanfran.html

http://www.jomashop.com/cartiersantos.html

i also enjoy the look of Panerai's, and there are several other brands that produce that same look in the $900-$2000 range

Goldengloves

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find a used Panerai for around 1500-2000 on viapaneristi.com

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, let me preface my post by saying that, select vintage pieces aside, I never go used or gray market. Now that the disclaimer is out, I will offer my opinion:

Stay away from gold in that range. It will be plated. It will wear like **** and look cheap. You will be sorry.

Check out Omega. Please, oh please, do not buy anything that says "007" or "James Bond" on it, they should pay you to wear those. Also, get a Coaxial, they are pretty much the only thing that makes any of Omega's models distinctive.

Look at a Breitling. They start at around $2,000 for an automatic. I have a Colt Automatic, and it's a fantastic watch. Plus Breitling is really hot right now. A number of jewelers I've talked to have said that, in its market, it's starting to replace Rolex, because it does everything a Rolex does but with a better value and much, much more style.

If you are a fan of minimalist design, look at an IWC Mark XV (or whatever number they are up to now). Amazing watch for the money, classic design, and generally good discounts available. If you can find a discontinued (but still brand new) model at a jeweler, expect bigger discounts.

While I generally stay away from watches made by big name jewelers, some of the Bvlgari rubber and aluminum pieces look cool, classy, and are within your budget.

If you care about style and name, and like something mass-produced, check out some of the vintage-style Tag Heuers. Unless they have the Zenith movement (Calibre 36), it's not much mechanically, but it's still cool looking, especially the Monaco. Whatever you do, don't even look at a piece that says "Tiger Woods" on it, that makes the James Bond Omegas look classy.

Or just save for the next few years and buy a JLC Master series watch of some sort. They start around $5,000, I believe, and go up from there. Great pieces, but a different level than what you're talking about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads