• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Pick a North Face Jacket

GQBaller

Reaction score
I'm looking for a mid-weight that I can wear everyday during the spring and fall.

I really like the quality of North Face jackets, though I don't want a run-of-the-mill Denali fleece.

Right now, I'm leaning towards either Choice 1 or Choice 2 because of their collars. The cuffs and the chest pocket on Choice 1 are nice too.

I'm also not restricting myself to black. Choices 1 and 2, for example, also come in blue, taupe, and brown.

jacketssw4.jpg

2sweet

Reaction score
Prices?

And I'd love to hear more on durability of North Face. These jackets are pretty pricey imo. I do know MANY people who swear by this brand, however, so they must be doing something right.

GQBaller

Reaction score
All of these jackets, with the exception of the Choice 6 (M Buckeye Bomber, at $350), are under $200.

I've got a North Face Gore-Tex ski jacket that has served me well over the past few years in cold weather. I'm expecting the same sort of durability from these jackets, though I could be wrong.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would wear 6 but I wouldn't pay that much for something with a brand logo

hamm23

Reaction score
Out of these I would say 1, 5, or 6.....if it were me I'd look into Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx, or Marmot though

Chinook

Reaction score
I am breaking the StyleForum ranks here.. but I wear a North Face Hero Tri-Climate when it is really cold and it does the job beautifully. I have had no problems with it.. and warranty for life is pretty sweet.

uh.

neg reps.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe 2 is winning. The drabness of it really makes the logo stand out in a bad way.

i6or

Reaction score
i would buy 6. Not too sure would enjoy wearing it everyday. 5 seems to be very casual.

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
And I'd love to hear more on durability of North Face. These jackets are pretty pricey imo. I do know MANY people who swear by this brand, however, so they must be doing something right.

It's as well made as Columbia or many of the technical store brands like REI's stuff. It's plenty durable for tooling around college towns. They make good looking stuff.

If you really require serious technical gear--waterproofing, ultralight gear, etc., then you probably already know to:

Originally Posted by hamm23
I'd look into Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx, or Marmot though

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chinook
I am breaking the StyleForum ranks here.. but I wear a North Face Hero Tri-Climate when it is really cold and it does the job beautifully. I have had no problems with it.. and warranty for life is pretty sweet.

uh.

neg reps.

I don't think anybody on this board has ever claimed North Face is low-quality, they just don't like the trendiness that surrounds it.

Pushkin

Reaction score
Two looks great and doesn't make you look like you pretend to hike on weekends.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, I strongly suspect this thread is viral marketing, as I'm sure most people here do. We've just all given up our will to fight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads