• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pack for study abroad in Europe

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
i shouldve done this weeks ago, but im in a bit of a bind here
plain.gif
Im off to study in Europe, and leave this coming Thursday
bounce2.gif
I'll be staying in Paris, France, Salamanca, Spain, and Rome, Italy, in that order, each on a 5 week rotation. I need wardrobe help! This is what I have so far (leaving out underwear and socks since those are givens): basic T-Shirts (Uniqlo) -Black, Gray (charcoal and heather) and Navy in Crew/V-cut -White Tees (Kirkland, from costco lol) 1 pair of Jeans (SEXSC06) 2 pairs of chinos (khaki and black, Uniqlo Vintage for a slim straight cut) 2 flannels (Blue one and a Red on, both with off white Uniqlo) 2 button downs, (black one and white one, each has 2 pockets on the front Uniqlo) 1 blazer (3 button, black by Uniqlo, made of washed cotton) 1 black hoody (Uniqlo) 1 black pull over hoody (Futura) 2 thermal henley shirts (RL, grey and black) 2 Pairs of Converse Jack Purcell's, Black leather and White Leather Black RW GTs Black waxed cotton jacket Things Im gonna pick up within the next 3 days: cardigan sweater nice pull over sweater Boat shoes can you guys help me out? I need versatility in the wardrobe to be able to wear the same pieces come spring time so thats what i have in mind as im packing also, the weight is an issue because i am limited to 45 lbs
frown.gif
I can bring more on international flights but its the domestic ones within Europe that limit me... what i really need help with are colors, and other basics to bring... i feel like my wardrobe is so drab haha plus i need more items that can serve to layer in the cold and look great in warmer weather and I leave Thursday, please help!

rapdancin

Reaction score
bring a suit or something decently formal that you can use when in need, which i'm sure you will be at some point

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
i figured as an alternative to a formal outfit I could wear the blazer with a white button down tucked into the black chinos and wear my GTs
confused.gif

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I did roughly the same, I packed way too much and ended up sending quite a bit of it back home at one of my first stops. By the end, I had this:

shoes: desert boots & stan smiths (I bought the sneakers during the trip because the dboots were hurting my feet)
undergarments: one weeks worth of socks & skivvies
tops: one weeks worth of button downs
bottoms: one pair jeans, one pair chinos (jeans were not raw)
jacket: one harrington

do the laundry once a week, no big deal. You might need more depending on requirements for more dressed up stuff.

Having such a minimal amount of stuff really made getting between cities much less of a chore.

zeni

Reaction score
^ Yea, keep it as minimal as possible. I overpacked on study abroad and I was charged a hefty fee by the airline for exceeding the weight limit. I also didn't end up wearing some stuff due to weather, etc. I would def not bring something you'll only wear once or twice

jhdas

Reaction score
You're going to Europe. Bring an empty suitcase and a lot of cash--well, not cash, but traveler's checks or something.
laugh.gif
But yeah, pack light and be on the look out for some good deals to see if you can pick anything up while you're there. I hear they have decent clothes in Europe.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
yea im def trying to pack minimally but yea... as anyone who did the same would know its terribly hard
frown.gif

i def need to pick up more button downs, can someone recommend me colors and patterns? my rotation of shoes will be a pair of black RW GTs, black leather purcells, white leather purcells, and some brown/tan boat shoes (I have yet to buy, leaning towards sperry's though like http://www.sperrytopsider.com/shoppi...222&sColor=621
also will have my denim, and some black and khaki chinos
smile.gif

also... do you guys think the flannels are good to bring? idk if theyll be any good with a blazer (whats the ruling on this? good to go like a t shirt or a no-no like the hooded blazer combo?)
i figured i can wear them in the nicer weather as a top to throw on at night or just pin roll he sleeves and leave the buttons open with a t-shirt underneath... thoughts?

ManicAbstraction

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, man. I leave for Copenhagen Saturday.

For the wardrobe I got:

1 jacket (dior)
1 hoody (w+h)
1 pair jeans (19cm)
1 pair khakis (gap)
2 pairs shoes (CPs and Desert boots)
2 button downs (coop & gap)
3 merino V-neck sweaters (brooks bros)
1 cashmire V-neck (brooks bros)
1 blazer (brooks bros)
4 AA tees

several brooks bros ties

DONE.

hows that sound?

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
hahaha well played sir, you sound good to go
smile.gif

how much did all that weigh?
i feel like i wont hit the 45 weight limit
frown.gif

also... do you think i can get away with a back pack and a messenger bag for my carry on? i think i can work it if i say the messenger bag if for my laptop haha

zeni

Reaction score
I'd say to stick with colors that'll work with the rest of the stuff, which shouldn't be hard. Sounds like you've got a lot of monochrome and such. I'm partial to blues and greens. Sperry's are nice and flexible, but aesthetically I like the sole better on the originals Don't have much experience with the flannel/blazer pairing. I think you can get away with the messenger and backpack.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
oo im actually really liking the originals aswell, especially in that tan or that brown
smile.gif

was thinking of spashing some blues and greens, im fond of those colors as well
but i need the official SF ruling on the flannel/blazer combo, i tried it on and im not sure how it would bode well with the stylish, but i must say its a fairly warm and comfortable pairing, both of which are great in the colder months!
and yes i checked the measurements for the airline i was traveling with and both my back pack and my messenger bag fit the requirements for the carry on and personal item
smile.gif

Flavy

Reaction score
You are going to want a tech jacket for rain and bad weather mane

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
ergo the waxed cotton jacket, breathable and waterproof
smile.gif
heres a pic of the flannel/blazer... please give some feed back, i need to know the limits of my wardrobe to utilize what little i can bring effectively
DSC00209.jpg
need some feed back on some other things too, like how the pinroll on my khaki chinos looks with the boat shoes ill be bringing (which will serve as a loafer to wear around the dorm in the colder months) as well as the "formal alternative" outfit i had in mind (consisting of blazer/white button down tucked into unpleated black chinos with RW GTs) edit o dont mind my dirty socks
frown.gif

progressiveminded

Reaction score
I was abroad last semester, and the one thing I would urge both of you to consider is whether you will be warm enough. Unless you keep warm easily, I think you will regret it if you don't have a warm outerwear piece.

The OP can get away with having two pairs of shoes as opposed to three. Once you're at the minimum of what you think you can deal with, cut a few more things. I doubt you need two hoodies or four button downs, especially given that they're of the same variety. Try to plan out one solid outfit that you'd be comfortable wearing more or less all the time, and add in a couple of extra pieces for variety.

On another note, one thing I notice is suspiciously missing from both lists are accessories, such as scarves or ties. They take up virtually no room, give the same outfit a different feeling, and in the case of scarves, help to keep you warm.

Jupiter Room

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh
i shouldve done this weeks ago, but im in a bit of a bind here
plain.gif

Im off to study in Europe, and leave this coming Thursday
bounce2.gif

I'll be staying in Paris, France

i need more items that can serve to layer in the cold and look great in warmer weather
and I leave Thursday, please help!

Paris can be both rainy and cold during spring. February can go as low as 34 F. You pretty much have to bring a jacket.

Originally Posted by ManicAbstraction
I'm in the same boat as you, man. I leave for Copenhagen Saturday.

hows that sound?

You're gonna freeze to death :/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads