• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Narrow Down Denim Choices - PLEASE help!

zbip

Reaction score
Hey, at first, when I looked at all the different dry denim I was shocked at how high the price was & I didn't see anything special. But, after spending a few weeks here & on SuFu, these kind of jeans are starting to grow on me. I'm interested in purchasing some dry denim bc I love the luster & how dark/clean they look. I know the luster wlil wear off eventually, but hopefully, since I don't plan on washing them & I will have several pairs of different pants to wear, they will be able to retain that luster/darkness for a long time.

I'm already planning on getting a pair of Nudies & APCs, but after I stumbled upon pics of people wearing denim from brands like Sugarcane, Samurai, I realized how good those jeans look on people & I want if it's possible for me.

Basically, I need help from you guys to give me a price range for the brands I list below & to tell me what other brands make nice, dark, dry denim.

Sugarcane
PBJ
Flat Head
Imperial
45RPM
Skull
Dior Homme
Iron Army
Julian Red
Samurai

I know I'm missing a lot of brands, so please add to my list. Basically, I'd like a price range on the denim for each of these brands (not retail, like the price I could get them for if I waited for a sale or something like that)

Thanks

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbip
Hey, at first, when I looked at all the different dry denim I was shocked at how high the price was & I didn't see anything special. But, after spending a few weeks here & on SuFu, these kind of jeans are starting to grow on me. I'm interested in purchasing some dry denim bc I love the luster & how dark/clean they look. I know the luster wlil wear off eventually, but hopefully, since I don't plan on washing them & I will have several pairs of different pants to wear, they will be able to retain that luster/darkness for a long time.

I'm already planning on getting a pair of Nudies & APCs, but after I stumbled upon pics of people wearing denim from brands like Sugarcane, Samurai, I realized how good those jeans look on people & I want if it's possible for me.

Basically, I need help from you guys to give me a price range for the brands I list below & to tell me what other brands make nice, dark, dry denim.

Sugarcane
PBJ
Flat Head
Imperial
45RPM
Skull
Dior Homme
Iron Army
Julian Red
Samurai

I know I'm missing a lot of brands, so please add to my list. Basically, I'd like a price range on the denim for each of these brands (not retail, like the price I could get them for if I waited for a sale or something like that)

Thanks

between 150$ and 1000$

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Why don't you first figure out how much you're willing to spend, what kind of cuts you're willing to wear, etc.

Otherwise, you will be ignored because no one here feels copying a phonebook by hand.

Edit: And yes, this is the polite version of a response you'll get on here.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Cheap's right. The prices vary so dramatically and you have so many of them, it's impossible to narrow it down for you. You should worry more about how you want them to fit instead of just the name brand. The japanese jeans don't really go on sale either. The closest think you'll find is buying it off someone in supermarket or buy and sell. The prices are there for you if you want it. Go to supershopper and look at the shopping guide with every possible store and figure it out.

zbip

Reaction score
I'm thinking about spending anywhere from $1 to $250ish. I want a relaxed, slim, straight/slight bootcut & I'd prefer for the dark/luster to last for as long as possible (if that's even a feature).

tljenkin

Reaction score
I go Cane then, but be aware that it's definitely closer to your limit than $1.

lowrey

Reaction score
I'd say most of what you could be looking at are in the 200-300 range.

I think you need to determine better what kind of a fit youre looking for. all of those brands make a somewhat straight cut and probably all make a slim-ish straight cut too.

so if you want a straight cut, how slim? I suggest you look at some of the picture threads on sufu, particularly the "how jeans fit pictures and descriptions" thread or whatever its titled. or pick atleast example pictures of fits/cuts you like, it'll be much easier to help.

broady

Reaction score
I really like my Julian Red's... but I'm not sure how they fit in that list

McG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbip
I'm thinking about spending anywhere from $1 to $250ish. I want a relaxed, slim, straight/slight bootcut & I'd prefer for the dark/luster to last for as long as possible (if that's even a feature).

If you want jeans that will remain dark, you probably want a rigid or one-wash pair. Truly raw jeans will stay dark if you rarely wear them, otherwise they will reflect the wear via fading, creasing, etc.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by McG
If you want jeans that will remain dark, you probably want a rigid or one-wash pair. Truly raw jeans will stay dark if you rarely wear them, otherwise they will reflect the wear via fading, creasing, etc.

That's not really true. One wash denim is just raw denim that has been washed once. There's no reason why it will fade slower than raw denim. Rigid denim is just referring to denim that is rigid, a characteristic that describes most dry jeans as well.

McG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
That's not really true. One wash denim is just raw denim that has been washed once. There's no reason why it will fade slower than raw denim. Rigid denim is just referring to denim that is rigid, a characteristic that describes most dry jeans as well.

I see what you are saying, and I think my terms are not the best. I am refering to jeans like those made by Rag & Bone and others that are available in dark, rigid washes, but are not raw. I have seen these jeans called rigid, and I was just trying to point out that jeans with a treatment like these may hold their color in a different way than strictly raw denim. Is there a better term for these kinds?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
resin coated in the case of the brands you mentioned

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the general opinion amongst posters is, but I really like the look of acne denim, which rings in at 13 oz. My favourite characteristic of their jeans is that the stitching is fairly minimalistic.
171_mic_rigid_back.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads