• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help Me Look Like A Modern Day Mafia Boss/Hitman.

mugenis4real

Reaction score
Hello there, Iv'e been lurking on the forums for a while now, picking up style tips from the best of you, but now I must directly call upon your help.

In four weeks time I have to perform in a fairly important play (important to me anyway) and the director has given me the artistic freedom of dressing my character. As you can imagine, this also puts some pressure on me to impress.

I play a villainous mafia hitman in NYC, so I'm pretty sure that I need to have lots of black in there somewhere.

I want the entire look to be real, so this means actual quality brands, but the look has to be modern.

So end game I'll need these items ($1000 Budget):

Hat
Shirt
Coat/Blazer/?
Tie
Pocket Square
Pants
Shoes
Socks?
Etc.

I don't want anyone to feel like their doing my homework though, have fun with it, don't feel the need to drop me an entire gettup, all single item suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I suggest you look at resident member Tibor, who sparked quite the debate wearing an outfit as described.

I also will forewarn you that getting all of those items from "quality" houses for under $1000 is unrealistic without compromising. It's also unnecessary, in my opinion, considering they will likely be worn only for your play and not as part of your regular wardrobe.

Last edited:

mugenis4real

Reaction score
The budget can expand, thankfully it's no problem, but where is this thread by Tibor? Would you mind posting a link?

manchambo

Reaction score
I don't think Tibor really looks like a modern day mafia hitman. My mafia expertise, which comes from the sopranos, would suggest either a track suit or a members only jacket.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My style is that of an Anglo-American Gentleman during Modernism influenced by the Aristocracy of Europe. I do Not dress like the Mafia. The only reason why the Mafia used to dress in that fashion was so they would appear to be honest and respectable. To Not look like a criminal and to blend into a collectvly Elegant society. Their is nothing glamorous about organized crime.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mafia realistically tries to blend in with society. So just wear what the people around you wear. Hollywood is a joke.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For more than a few decades now, if you are in charge of an operation, you are usually very quiet, discreet, plainly dressed, usually a much older man, and always in the background make sure it is run effectivley.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score

For more than a few decades now, if you are in charge of an operation, you are usually very quiet, discreet, plainly dressed, usually a much older man, and always in the background make sure it is run effectivley.
You seem to know a lot about the mafia. Are you sure you're not a mobster? :D

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A T-shirt or polo with some Italian Futball team embroidered on it, a pair of medium blue jeans fashionable, but not to stylish or well cut. Some plain designer sneakers and maybe a simple windbreaker would be the most accurate clothing for a modern day mafia boss or important figure.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also a casual T shirt from a local bar, a community social or hobby sports club would be very accurate.

mhdena

Reaction score
Watch Mr & Mrs Smith. And dress like Brad Pitt

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
maifia boss vs hitman are different things
I still have a few old school made guys.
and yes
they look like they stepped out of central casting.
one guy who is presently "upstate" had Brioni make matching topcoats to go with each suit.
I made long straight point collars that overlocked!

a real Hitman would want to just blend in.
a soldier in the mob(what is left of it) would be wearing UFC type stuff today.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the old school guys that are still left have no issue fitting the image. It is just not as common anymore. Also if they were going out on the town or to an event it would be much more likely to dress well.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 103 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%