• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me learn how to dress well

beyondnow

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. This is my first post!

I've always bought clothes by just walking to a shopping mall and picking up a few things that looked to me. I think most my clothes don't match with each other. Now, I would like to learn more about how to dress well. Your advices on how I should get started would be great. I'm 27 years old, 5 feet 9 inch, and have an average body.

If you can suggest a couple books to read (how to dress casually, nice for parties, events, etc) would be great. If there are any magazines or blogs you suggest me to read, that would also be great.

Seems like everyone is an expert here. Would love to learn from you guys and eventually become an active member of this community.

Thanks

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Hang out in the WAYWRN forums in men's clothing and streetwear and denim.

It's not something learned overnight.

Also, pick up some Flusser and read it.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Lufty said. I just started posting every day in WAYWRN and listened to what people told me to do, and I think I'm dressing a lot better now. Still a long road ahead, but I've learned a lot of "rules of thumb" in there. Just get used to posting pictures of yourself every day.

beyondnow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Welcome. Hang out in the WAYWRN forums in men's clothing and streetwear and denim.

It's not something learned overnight.

Also, pick up some Flusser and read it.

Are you referring to this book? Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion

beyondnow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
What Lufty said. I just started posting every day in WAYWRN and listened to what people told me to do, and I think I'm dressing a lot better now. Still a long road ahead, but I've learned a lot of "rules of thumb" in there. Just get used to posting pictures of yourself every day.

Sorry if this comes across as a simple question but what is WAYWRN ?

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Start by finding the colors that best compliment your complexion. Learn your measurements and always buy clothes that fit, don't be afraid to visit a tailor. Don't try to match similar patterns, especially pinstripes. Wear whatever makes you feel confident and don't be afraid to experiment. This can be an expensive habit so use ebay and your local thrift to store, especially since you're just learning what works for you.

You can go on Youtube and get some pretty solid tips, you can also watch some of the top designer's fashion shows.

Here's a few sites to help you on your path:
http://mistermort.typepad.com/
http://www.therakeonline.com/articles.html
http://www.valetmag.com/
http://www.styleforum.net/index.php
smile.gif

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
The thread What Are You Wearing Right Now (link goes to my post today).

I'm no computer expert, but every time I try to open that thread, I get a fatal error on line 1227. Regardless of what computer or browser I use. Pretty frustrating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads