• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Identify This Hat! (A Desperate Plea)

Reaction score
Greetings, Style Forum denizens. I came upon your community some time ago, and have been meaning to register ever since. But it appears now that I am in a bit of a crisis, and in need of urgent assistance.

My darling girlfriend (whom with I intend to spend the rest of my life) has given me, for our first Christmas together, a hat. It is my first hat--she took note of my wanting one, and surprised me. And I'm just delighted. However, I am grieved by the realization that this holiday present is two sizes too small; not unlike the cruel heart of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. In fact, it might be even more than two sizes too small. You see, I have a somewhat gigantic noggin. My cranium clocks in at a whopping 25+ inches, or, size 7-7/8 to 8. The hat I received is only 7-1/4.

Some small blessing in disguise, however, is the fact that we have yet to meet in the flesh. (Which I suppose is also the cause for her not knowing my relative head size.) It is my intent to track down a fitting version of this hat and perform a switch, that I may delight her with photographs of me under it. I would not wish to lie to her for a lifetime; I'm just concerned that revealing to her this complication at present would shatter her heart, for I know that she tossed and turned over whether I would appreciate her gift.

Unfortunately, my Google trawling has yielded little in the way of helpful information. I know that the hat is a gorgeous Dobbs felt, chestnut-coloured, fedora-type hat. But I haven't the foggiest notion of its specific style or availability. Attached to this post are my photographs. The closest I've found on any site is the Dobbs "Hunter Mountain Hat" found here. However, it's difficult for me to make a 100% positive identification. Additionally, it's available in limited sizes and in only one colour--and it's not the one which I require.

I searched in vain for an online assemblage of hat connoisseurs. I would be eternally grateful if you could point me in the direction of one. But then, perhaps there is indeed a resident afficionado of hats, and this will not be necessary. One way or another, Style Forum, you're my greatest hope. My fate is in your hands.

My sincerest appreciations,

J. Bones

lockey2k

Reaction score
Tell your gf you love your hat so much you want to get more. Then ask, where did you get the last hat?
smile.gif

Reaction score
laugh.gif
Not at all the worst of ideas, lockey. However, I know where she got the hat, and it isn't much help. It's from an antique shop 1,000 miles away from here. I'm hoping for a complete Dobbs catalogue that I can search though, or something. Unfortunately, since posting this thread, I've discovered that most Dobbs hats are only available in sizes up to 7-5/8, occasionally 7-3/4. I'm hoping that this hat, if currently in production, comes in at least that large a size.

My search has yielded The Fedora Lounge, though. So I'll try making a post there, also, later on today.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if this will help your search/ find a similar hat, but i'm sure you'll enjoy browsing the website, at least!! One of my favorite sources for sartorial toppers, they helped me acquire the Hat of all Hats-- a Capellificio Cervo fedora.

http://www.hatshop.com/hand.html

your hat looks a little like the Vivaldi.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a little additional information: If you find the hat in a size that is only slightly too small--say a 7 3/4 or possible a 7 5/8--hats can be stretched safely up to a point. You might be able to get the supplier to do this for you, or, alternatively, purchase a hat stretcher from one of the online hat sellers and do it yourself.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bones
My darling girlfriend (whom with I intend to spend the rest of my life)........... we have yet to meet in the flesh.
Interesting.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Interesting.

Uh-huh. Gee, look--this isn't a dating advice forum.
laugh.gif

Not to be rude, but just help me with the topper. I've got the heart covered.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Uh-huh. Gee, look--this isn't a dating advice forum.
laugh.gif

Not to be rude, but just help me with the topper. I've got the heart covered.

All he said was interesting. Not to be rude but you did choose to include that superfluous information, why can't he comment on it?

Reaction score
Are you sure I'm the one being sensitive? You may all comment on whatever you wish. I likewise reserve the right to comment on your comments.
laugh.gif
I don't see how the information I chose to share was superfluous, however. That the hat was a gift from my girlfriend and that we haven't yet met in person is rather essential to my situation. I suppose that my wanting to spend the rest of my life with her isn't specifically relevant, no. Please comment away. I just detected an implication of, "How can you know you want to be with someone for the rest of your existence without having spent any touch time with them, you bonehead?" But then, I tend to be rather defensive when it comes to my love. If I'm being hypsersensitive, I apologize. I haven't slept a wink in over 24 hours.
laugh.gif

pfr0g

Reaction score
Are you sure I'm the one being sensitive? You may all comment on whatever you wish. I likewise reserve the right to comment on your comments.
laugh.gif

I don't see how the information I chose to share was superfluous, however. That the hat was a gift from my girlfriend and that we haven't yet met in person is rather essential to my situation. I suppose that my wanting to spend the rest of my life with her isn't specifically relevant, no. Please comment away.

I just detected an implication of, "How can you know you want to be with someone for the rest of your existence without having spent any touch time with them, you bonehead?" But then, I tend to be rather defensive when it comes to my love. If I'm being hypsersensitive, I apologize. I haven't slept a wink in over 24 hours.
laugh.gif

The fact that you have met your girlfriend or not in the flesh is irrelevant when identifying the hat. Now you could argue you wanted to convey the urgency of your situation and therefore including this information. Either way, I just thought you were being hypersensitive to the comment and reading a lot into a single word.

Either way this exchange will keep your post at the top of the list helping your case of the unidentified hat. I wish you luck in your search.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a solution: Send the hat to Baron's California Hats in Burbank, California, and have them make up duplicate in your proper size. I don't know what their prices are these days, but it shouldn't run you much over $200, I should think. I am sure your girlfriend will never notice any slight differences.

As an unsollicited aside from the survivor of two short-lived, disastrous marriages that I rushed into, please proceed with caution in this matter.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
not sure if this will help your search/ find a similar hat, but i'm sure you'll enjoy browsing the website, at least!! http://www.hatshop.com/hand.html
Some pretty hats there, The_Foxx. I thank you!

Originally Posted by Roger
Just a little additional information: If you find the hat in a size that is only slightly too small--say a 7 3/4 or possible a 7 5/8--hats can be stretched safely up to a point.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware that it would be so hard to find non-custom hats in my exact size. I'd be curious to hear from other fatheads whether they can comfortably fit into hats a centimetre or two shy of their preference.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You might try posting over at the Fedora Lounge. Someone there might know. www.thefedoralounge.com
Found it, thank you.

Originally Posted by pfr0g
The fact that you have met your girlfriend or not in the flesh is irrelevant when identifying the hat.
Well gee, pfr0g. I wanted to make my thread interesting for you.
laugh.gif

Either way, I just thought you were being hypersensitive to the comment and reading a lot into a single word.
You're being hypersensitive to my hypersensitivity! And, are we yet certain that I was wrong?
tounge.gif

Either way this exchange will keep your post at the top of the list helping your case of the unidentified hat. I wish you luck in your search.
I do appreciate it.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
I have a solution: Send the hat to Baron's California Hats in Burbank, California, and have them make up duplicate in your proper size. I don't know what their prices are these days, but it shouldn't run you much over $200, I should think.
I was wondering if such a thing might be possible. That seems steep for a hobo in my line of work, but imagine that it must in fact be reasonable for the craftsmanship involved. If I can't find an original, this course would be worthwhile.

As an unsollicited aside from the survivor of two short-lived, disastrous marriages that I rushed into, please proceed with caution in this matter.
I appreciate it. I'm only getting married once. We're not marrying until we're ready. We're planning a lengthy visit for the late summer. As big a critic as I myself am of relationships that begin on the internet, this one is special. I never expected to find myself here. And I didn't happen here by chance. Still, no knots will be tied until we know one another inside and out.

nelly

Reaction score
Is it just me or was J. Bones' post unbelievably verbose with the whimsical writing style of someone with a thesaurus? I would have to believe that his girlfriend (who he's never me in person) was deeply attracted to his "Cyrano de Bergerac"-like use of the English language. Bravo Bones. Bravo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads