• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Identify This Hat! (A Desperate Plea)

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I think it's the Hunter Mountain in Nutmeg. They're listed on this site. Ufortunately, they only go up to 7 5/8. http://www.westmall.com/dobbs/dobbs3.html
Thanks. I also found this. The Huntoon. Doesn't it look just like that? Only, in a colour that's not listed there? The two appear so similar to me, the Huntoon and the Hunter Mountain. They're not one and the same, are they?

Originally Posted by nelly
Bravo Bones. Bravo.
*takes a bow*

And with that, I'm off to get my wink. Hopefully by the time I return, The Fedora Lounge will have approved my application, and I may also avail myself of their knowledge.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Is it just me or was J. Bones' post unbelievably verbose with the whimsical writing style of someone with a thesaurus?

I would have to believe that his girlfriend (who he's never me in person) was deeply attracted to his "Cyrano de Bergerac"-like use of the English language.

Bravo Bones. Bravo.

I have been verbose in another time myself with my current wife and past internet acquaintane but us hillbillies aways was a quare lot!

Back to the less than verbose hat in question. It appears to be a self banded Dobbs from the 60's or so and in excellent condition for the age.

Its a pretty straight forward hat and was not in their upper crust of hats but then most commercial level hats was not.

If you are over 25 inches you are also over size 8 and probably have Encephalitis and will likly get a larger size yet as well.

Sizes over 8 are uncommon but not unheard of as we have built up to an 8 5/8 and do have a hat block from the old Danbury hat works that is size 8 1/2.

Unfortunatly a hat too small will give you no service and will give you a headache and one too large can be filled a bit. Very unfortunatly Dobbs did not make any size 8 stock hats and few others did. Some of the companies like Borsalino will make this size up for you but few stock it.

There is a man on the fedoralounge that many there seem to love his hats named Art that could make you a reasonable copy of that hat. Rodney from North Valley hats also is a well qualified hatter on the lounge and can make you this hat for sure with all but the Dobbs labeling ( which is just labeling) as they have been out of biz for many many years and just exist as a name now.

Best of luck in your love and hat life Mr. Bones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads