• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Identify These Unique and Retro Glass Frames

beathappening

Reaction score

Does anyone have any information regarding glasses in this style? Does the style have a name? Is anything that resembles these glasses currently available?

While I've had no difficulty finding over-sized glass frames, I've had trouble finding frames that resembles this style and have the same depth and thickness that gives these frames their distinct look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dreadful looking things

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weirdly enough, I'm convinced I want a pair like this. No idea where to look. I kind of have a "thing" for weird ugly frames. I know a girl who pulls off cheap gold wire aviators, but I worry that they'd make me look like Jeffrey Dahmer.

EDIT: Obviously, you've got three different styles. I have seen some Shurons with that vibe, but they're more Midwest than Mediterranean.

Last edited:

beathappening

Reaction score
Weirdly enough, I'm convinced I want a pair like this. No idea where to look. I kind of have a "thing" for weird ugly frames. I know a girl who pulls off cheap gold wire aviators, but I worry that they'd make me look like Jeffrey Dahmer.

EDIT: Obviously, you've got three different styles. I have seen some Shurons with that vibe, but they're more Midwest than Mediterranean.
Thanks for the reply. Shuron's Classic 401 and Barette frames appear to be close; however, while similar, they are still missing the depth and conspicuous dorkiness of the frames I'm after. The Shah of Iran and Yves Saint Laurent are the only people I've seen wearing this style. Most oversized frames that are widely available seem to either be costume nerd glasses or those in the style of China's former General Secretary Jiang Zemin.

I feel like I may have to go bespoke as I've had no luck whatsoever finding glasses in this style, but I find it really hard to justify spending over $500 on a pair of frames.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm sorry i can't identify all those frames, just no longer on the market.

But, if you wan't this aesthetic. with a modern twist? i would suggest checking out the range of prescription frames from Oakley. while some won't even look at it to start, they are missing out.
here are some examples......

there are more styles, and each in many colors and materials. only mentioning because i bought some for myself. and have never seen another person with them, and get many positive compliments wearing them. stylish but not dated. have a look for yourself.

beathappening

Reaction score
These YSL 2350s and 2345s appear to resemble the glasses worn by Yves Saint Laurent (third pic of OP) but aren't quite correct in their proportions. They also share little resemblance with the first pair of glasses in the OP.

Maison Bonnet allegedly made these for Yves Saint Laurent himself :

Prices for its acetate frames appear to start at €850—a little steep for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads