• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me ID these J&M Aristocrafts

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes, my size too! If you decide not to bid, let me know where to find em'
devil.gif

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
What are you trying to learn about them?

I guess I am trying to find out if they are a recent model, or if they are NOS. I can't seem to find another pair like that anywhere on the internets.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if these are refurbished Aristocrafts? They uppers look to be very well antiqued, and incongruous to the soles. Beautiful shoes in any case.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are a pair of J&Ms I used to have. Although they were not Aristocrafts, the look of the leather and the patination appear to be similar to yours. These were a corrected grain leather, although a fairly good one and I suspect from the look of the shoes in your pictures that they are too.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am fairly sure the Aristocrafts did not use corrected grain leather. I may be wrong, but I would be shocked if that were the case.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I am fairly sure the Aristocrafts did not use corrected grain leather. I may be wrong, but I would be shocked if that were the case.

I gots a pair of CG Ariostocrafts as well. I think it's not unlike Florsheim where you can find Imperials that are very nice and full grain and some that are CG.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

I think, in recent years, it has slipped to this level.

As to these shoes, look at the micro-creasing, a pretty common indication of corrected grain.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I think, in recent years, it has slipped to this level.

As to these shoes, look at the micro-creasing, a pretty common indication of corrected grain.

There's the key. I would not buy a pair of Aristocrafts new. Older Aristocrafts were almost all whole grain leather, and not CG. I think the use of CG in Atristocrafts is a relatively new phenomena. These however looked like they might be older shoes, which was why I thought they might be refurbed old Aristocrafts. I am probably wrong about that though..

I see the creasing in the shoes posted above, but not so much in the shoes in his auction pics..

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
These almost look NOS, and I can't find ANYTHING on them. Does anyone know what these are?

Thanks!

They are. Part of the Aristocraft line before they started that trampoline construction - when they made good shoes. Made in July of 1989 (or Sept of 87...kind of forget how to read the datecode; one of the two) in Nashville in the Polished Cobbler, which is corrected grain but it's not a negative, they're nice uppers. Most of you all don't have a clue when you talk about corrected grain calf....these are nice, no worries. They had a journey...originally sold at Nordstrom in Freehold and then somehow re-sold at Mill Valley in CA for 180$ at some point. If you don't see from the pics, remember these are an 80's style....lower vamp line so some of your sock will show.

kenmoor123

Reaction score
907 portion in the inside marking indicates the date of manufacture.
907=July 1989 or 1999

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics