• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me ID these Hanover Shoes (Shell?)

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted these Hanover's today, and need help ID'ing them. Of order of first of first importance is obviously the shell / no shell dilemma. The creasing leads me to believe that it is shell, but don't know how to verify. Anything else I can know about these? I saw a photo of almost an identical pair here listed as Florsheims (can't seem to find it again!), and there was something of significance about the metal wedge in the heel. What is it? I assume when I get the heels repaired that has to go away? I should add that I know nothing about the company - never even heard of it until today, perhaps start there? I know they are filthy, just picked them up - haven't had a chance to clean them. Thank in advance, Greg
100_5037.jpg
100_5030.jpg
100_5031.jpg
100_5036.jpg
100_5029.jpg
100_5033.jpg
100_5028.jpg
100_5040.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I vote shell.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bet they'll clean up nicely. If you get resoled, you'll lose the metal cleat in the heel, which was a feature to make the heels last longer.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I bet they'll clean up nicely. If you get resoled, you'll lose the metal cleat in the heel, which was a feature to make the heels last longer.
Actually, B.Nelson can replace them with v-cleats. They quoted me a pretty cheap price for double stacked soles w/ v-cleats one time.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, shell. But not necessarily that beat. They could use a good cleaning and MAYBE, a little LIGHT coat of polish. VERY light on the polish, but I'd try just cleaning with a damp rag and buffing first. L.B. Sheppards (L.B. was the company president) are the top of the Hanover line and close to Florsheim Imperials in quality.

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Until a month ago, I lived in Hanover, Pa., where these shoes undoubtedly were made. In the late '70s/early '80s, Clarks Companies N.A. bought Hanover Shoe, and set up their U.S. distribution center there. The old Hanover Shoe factory is now a (rather nice) apartment complex in town, the company owned a bunch of horse farms (The Hanover Shoe Farms) that raise standardbred racing horses (Donato Hanover, if anyone follows, was from there).

The old Hanover Shoe store is a Clarks outlet in town now.

I thought you'd like to know a little history, since I had the information to share. Cheers on the shoes!

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid 70's to early 80's. They'll look great once you work on them. Easily the equal of vintage Florsheim shell cordovan. Condition the black piping around the shoe collar so as to stall further cracking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads