• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help me ID these Hanover Shoes (Shell?)

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted these Hanover's today, and need help ID'ing them. Of order of first of first importance is obviously the shell / no shell dilemma. The creasing leads me to believe that it is shell, but don't know how to verify. Anything else I can know about these? I saw a photo of almost an identical pair here listed as Florsheims (can't seem to find it again!), and there was something of significance about the metal wedge in the heel. What is it? I assume when I get the heels repaired that has to go away? I should add that I know nothing about the company - never even heard of it until today, perhaps start there? I know they are filthy, just picked them up - haven't had a chance to clean them. Thank in advance, Greg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I vote shell.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bet they'll clean up nicely. If you get resoled, you'll lose the metal cleat in the heel, which was a feature to make the heels last longer.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I bet they'll clean up nicely. If you get resoled, you'll lose the metal cleat in the heel, which was a feature to make the heels last longer.
Actually, B.Nelson can replace them with v-cleats. They quoted me a pretty cheap price for double stacked soles w/ v-cleats one time.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, shell. But not necessarily that beat. They could use a good cleaning and MAYBE, a little LIGHT coat of polish. VERY light on the polish, but I'd try just cleaning with a damp rag and buffing first. L.B. Sheppards (L.B. was the company president) are the top of the Hanover line and close to Florsheim Imperials in quality.

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Until a month ago, I lived in Hanover, Pa., where these shoes undoubtedly were made. In the late '70s/early '80s, Clarks Companies N.A. bought Hanover Shoe, and set up their U.S. distribution center there. The old Hanover Shoe factory is now a (rather nice) apartment complex in town, the company owned a bunch of horse farms (The Hanover Shoe Farms) that raise standardbred racing horses (Donato Hanover, if anyone follows, was from there).

The old Hanover Shoe store is a Clarks outlet in town now.

I thought you'd like to know a little history, since I had the information to share. Cheers on the shoes!

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid 70's to early 80's. They'll look great once you work on them. Easily the equal of vintage Florsheim shell cordovan. Condition the black piping around the shoe collar so as to stall further cracking.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40