• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me help my father

Saltricks

Reaction score
My father keeps showing off his "great deals" which are anything but.

He got these ugly, ugly, shiny alligator print johnston and murphy's that were "a steal" at 80 dollars. You couldn't pay me to wear those shoes in public.

He just came into my office and showed off his "Allen Edmonds" old style loafers that he got at ross for 40 dollars. Let me tell you, that 40 dollars would have been better spent buying a knife and some string and cobbling together some makeshift moccasins from vines and paper bags from Albertsons.

He is in the mindset that brand = style. He purchases big patch logos (those big polo patches) and sews them onto those polyester 3 day suit broker jackets so that they look like polo jackets. He wears these garish accessories (big H hermes fake belt) and fake watches (patek filipe, dolex). He's done this for as long as I've known him.

I bring this up now because since I've been working after graduating college, I've dressed considerably better than I have in the past. The doctors that I meet always seem to complement my style (in front of my father) and I think he's been getting a little jealous.

He's still my father and I respect him, but people talk about his lack of taste behind his back. The image he's portraying by dressing like a blind clown with aspergers is losing us some key deals, and I feel the need to step in and do something. Has anyone here had a similar experience? How did you handle the situation?

Valor

Reaction score
Tell him you're gay and take him shopping.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Tell him you're gay and take him shopping.

If he thought I was gay, he would load up his shotgun and kill me in my sleep. The last words I'd here would be some variation of "I brought you into this world I can take you out of it..."

Valor

Reaction score
Skip that part and take him shopping, if possible have your mother do it or something. If that fails, buy him appropriate attire as gifts.

In the end, he's still your father.

LanceW

Reaction score
Buy him something.

Then he will be telling people about the article that his son bought him instead
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Work somewhere else....

Bentley

Reaction score
I doubt you can change him...he's your dad...i'd suggest accepting him the way he is.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can try change him, but it probably wont work.

if you're going to try, it's probably going to take a little while of constant prodding.

i'd suggest that you start off by explaining that you care about him, then say that talk about your own experiences of how people have judged you on your appearances... let him draw his own conclusions, start from there.

Then, reinforce that you want the best for him, so naturally given that you've spent all this time learning about clothes/appearance, you'd really like to put it to good use and make sure that he's looking his best out there... or something along those lines.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
If he thought I was gay, he would load up his shotgun and kill me in my sleep. The last words I'd here would be some variation of "I brought you into this world I can take you out of it..."
In that case, go ahead and turn the shotgun on him. You can kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show him this forum and we'll set him straight.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Yeah, showing him this forum would not end well.

I'd probably be put on the rack and pelted with holy water for 7 days (he's a devout catholic)

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Yeah, showing him this forum would not end well. I'd probably be put on the rack and pelted with holy water for 7 days (he's a devout catholic)
sounds like a real asshole. No offense...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, showing him this forum would not end well.

I'd probably be put on the rack and pelted with holy water for 7 days (he's a devout catholic)

Well, I'm out of ideas. He is your dad and hopefully he'll notice if you dress a bit better and take the cues from you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads