• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me get started!

CidCock

Reaction score
Obviously, a newbie - so be gentle.

About me: 33 years old, 6'0, 180#, athletic build (I like to think), engineer.

I have always enjoyed high end watches, but that has recently led to more of a concern with my overall style. I don't wear ties daily (maybe once a week), but would like to step up my wardrobe a bit. I would say I more of a khaki and oxford button down most days, but like to throw on a blazer to dress it up a bit. I recently received a Banana Republic slim fit navy blazer that has led me down this path of searching for other blazer/suit options. Came across a few reddit threads and youtube videos about buying higher-end clothing pre-owned from eBay rather than spending the same money on Jos A Bank range stuff.

Looking for some good brands or tips to start with re-building my wardrobe. I have a good collection of oxford button downs (banana, j crew, bb, etc)

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here - but what do you guys think of these ebay postings?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173211365994?ViewItem=&item=173211365994

https://www.ebay.com/itm/42R-Hardy-Amies-Mens-Brown-Check-Tweed-Wool-Classic-Sport-Coat-Blazer-Jacket/292468155038?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm a sponge and welcome all advice!

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Welcome.

eBay can be great for getting some good stuff at a cheaper price. Just don’t be afraid of the tailor after you get it since you can’t try it on and in some cases you can’t return it.

Frankly, I am good with the first blazer, the second one looks a little much to me personally but some might disagree.

Do you have any idea what you want to pair your new sport coats/blazers with? Dress slacks, Chinos or Jeans? That will make some bit of difference due to the level of formality.

To get started can you share some pictures of your shoes? I like to start advice from the bottom up, typically.

CidCock

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! There are so many brands out there, it's overwhelming. I naively thought JAB was a good brand until I started digging around.

I was planning on pairing this with slacks for the most part, but I'm all ears. I have been pairing my navy blazer with chinos and blue jeans on occasion.

I have a pair of these Cole Haans, as well as some more casual CH loafers. But I usually pair my chinos with Sperry topsiders (not sure if that's allowed, but I'm in South Carolina - soooo)

396941_200_ss_01.jpg

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! There are so many brands out there, it's overwhelming. I naively thought JAB was a good brand until I started digging around.

I was planning on pairing this with slacks for the most part, but I'm all ears. I have been pairing my navy blazer with chinos and blue jeans on occasion.

I have a pair of these Cole Haans, as well as some more casual CH loafers. But I usually pair my chinos with Sperry topsiders (not sure if that's allowed, but I'm in South Carolina - soooo)

View attachment 943221
The loafers you picture above are a bit loafer. I personally would not wear them with a formal or business suit, but can work well with slim leg dress slacks IMO and with Chinos or Jeans. As far as your other casual loafers, not sure what type they are, but most loafers work with jeans and chinos, very few with more formal clothes. As far as the Sperry's with Chino, Jeans (or shorts) that's fine for casual, summer looks. I would suggest adding a Chelsea and/or Chukka boot, and some Oxfords or Derbys. Most guys here will recommend Brown over black for all of the above, and many will tell you don't wear black shoes with jeans, period. I tend to think a black Chelsea boot can look great with Jeans, but that's just me.

As far as the blazer/sport coat search. Sounds like you already have a navy blazer and are looking for a gray one. Those are the first two I always suggest. After that a brown, tweed sport coat would be nice, but you are soon not to be able to use one of those for a while in South Carolina due to the temps.

If you want to step up your quality from what you bought in that past that's fine. Some guys here will tell you anything you buy at a typical mall is pretty much garbage. While it's true that mall brands have taken a dive in quality, if you don't have an unlimited budged, I have not problem with you continuing to buy Cole Haan's and shop at JCrew or BR. These are two of my favorites for everyday stuff and value. There are plenty of other places to find good stuff and I personally have no problem with outlet malls. But eBay is great too as you mentioned. If you are looking for a specific thing, research the best brands out there and go for it. Feel free to run individual pieces by the forum if there is any question.

What most will agree with here is that it's really all about fit more than anything. Most guys are wearing clothes that may or may not be ugly, but most definitely don't fit them.

You can wear jeans and a t-shirt from Target and look better then someone wearing the same thing from a store that costs 10 times as much if yours fits and theirs does not. You can also look a lot nicer than someone wearing a suit in much less formal attire if your clothing fits right.

Don't get overly obsessed with rules, but there are some guiding principals (especially around fit) that can help in the beginning.

-Don't wear pants that are too long, too short, to tight or too baggy. :) Find a tailor...
-Slim straight or tapped pant legs with little to no break are best for a clean look
-Unless you really know what you are doing stay away from pleats and cuffs on pants
-Opt for slim fit or fitted shirts as opposed to regular fit (most guys look better in slimmer fits but there are some exceptions)
-Wear v-neck undershirts with button down shirts or polos (Your t-shirt should not show)
-Start with the basics. If you already have some decent Oxford shirts (white, blue, patters), and a couple pair of decent shoes, get some dark wash well fitting jeans and khaki colored chinos. Add Blazers, then outerwear and maybe some accessories like a nice mens soft sided bag/briefcase.

Another thing that I think it related is learn to care for your clothes, wash them yourself (unless they are dry clean only) and learn how to iron your clothes especially your shirts. I never put on an Oxford I have not ironed myself and I even iron my jeans. Also, care for your shoes. Get shoe trees. Buy conditioner, polish and a brush. This takes extra time but no one will care for your clothes and shoes like you - unless you are uber rich and can pay someone to do this full time :)

Lastly, one of the best thing you can do is look at pictures here in the WAYWT threads, and online on other fashion websites, and try to replicate those looks with stuff you can find in your price range that you like.

FYI - these kind of posts are plenty-full on here and usually take a couple days to get rolling. I am sure you will get plenty more advice, it just might take a couple days to roll in.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score

View attachment 943221
Also, one more thing to add to my long post above.

If you are are really wanting to be a sponge there are many other guys that have been advised here you can read. Read this one from the beginning. I wrote a lot of stuff here:https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...p-with-new-wardrobe-really-struggling.607781/

jaxenro

Reaction score
I buy a lot of Brooks Brothers on eBay but usually I am able to “cheat” and look up the details of it especially if there is a SKU or style number shown on the tag. So I can tell a Golden Fleece full canvas from a suiting essentials or identify Country Club easier. My tailor knows me by name as I am in there just about every week with one thing or another

CidCock

Reaction score
I buy a lot of Brooks Brothers on eBay but usually I am able to “cheat” and look up the details of it especially if there is a SKU or style number shown on the tag. So I can tell a Golden Fleece full canvas from a suiting essentials or identify Country Club easier. My tailor knows me by name as I am in there just about every week with one thing or another

that's awesome. if you don't mind - any 42R jackets you'd recommend on ebay right now??

CidCock

Reaction score
The loafers you picture above are a bit loafer. I personally would not wear them with a formal or business suit, but can work well with slim leg dress slacks IMO and with Chinos or Jeans. As far as your other casual loafers, not sure what type they are, but most loafers work with jeans and chinos, very few with more formal clothes. As far as the Sperry's with Chino, Jeans (or shorts) that's fine for casual, summer looks. I would suggest adding a Chelsea and/or Chukka boot, and some Oxfords or Derbys. Most guys here will recommend Brown over black for all of the above, and many will tell you don't wear black shoes with jeans, period. I tend to think a black Chelsea boot can look great with Jeans, but that's just me.

As far as the blazer/sport coat search. Sounds like you already have a navy blazer and are looking for a gray one. Those are the first two I always suggest. After that a brown, tweed sport coat would be nice, but you are soon not to be able to use one of those for a while in South Carolina due to the temps.

If you want to step up your quality from what you bought in that past that's fine. Some guys here will tell you anything you buy at a typical mall is pretty much garbage. While it's true that mall brands have taken a dive in quality, if you don't have an unlimited budged, I have not problem with you continuing to buy Cole Haan's and shop at JCrew or BR. These are two of my favorites for everyday stuff and value. There are plenty of other places to find good stuff and I personally have no problem with outlet malls. But eBay is great too as you mentioned. If you are looking for a specific thing, research the best brands out there and go for it. Feel free to run individual pieces by the forum if there is any question.

What most will agree with here is that it's really all about fit more than anything. Most guys are wearing clothes that may or may not be ugly, but most definitely don't fit them.

You can wear jeans and a t-shirt from Target and look better then someone wearing the same thing from a store that costs 10 times as much if yours fits and theirs does not. You can also look a lot nicer than someone wearing a suit in much less formal attire if your clothing fits right.

Don't get overly obsessed with rules, but there are some guiding principals (especially around fit) that can help in the beginning.

-Don't wear pants that are too long, too short, to tight or too baggy. :) Find a tailor...
-Slim straight or tapped pant legs with little to no break are best for a clean look
-Unless you really know what you are doing stay away from pleats and cuffs on pants
-Opt for slim fit or fitted shirts as opposed to regular fit (most guys look better in slimmer fits but there are some exceptions)
-Wear v-neck undershirts with button down shirts or polos (Your t-shirt should not show)
-Start with the basics. If you already have some decent Oxford shirts (white, blue, patters), and a couple pair of decent shoes, get some dark wash well fitting jeans and khaki colored chinos. Add Blazers, then outerwear and maybe some accessories like a nice mens soft sided bag/briefcase.

Another thing that I think it related is learn to care for your clothes, wash them yourself (unless they are dry clean only) and learn how to iron your clothes especially your shirts. I never put on an Oxford I have not ironed myself and I even iron my jeans. Also, care for your shoes. Get shoe trees. Buy conditioner, polish and a brush. This takes extra time but no one will care for your clothes and shoes like you - unless you are uber rich and can pay someone to do this full time :)

Lastly, one of the best thing you can do is look at pictures here in the WAYWT threads, and online on other fashion websites, and try to replicate those looks with stuff you can find in your price range that you like.

FYI - these kind of posts are plenty-full on here and usually take a couple days to get rolling. I am sure you will get plenty more advice, it just might take a couple days to roll in.

Thanks for all of the tips! I think I am fairly well put together and at least try to get clothes that properly fit. I have a military background, so I appreciate a good fit and am proficient with an iron. My shirts are all "tailored-slim fit" and seem to fit pretty well off the rack for the most part. I am definitely aware enough not to show my under shirt and cringe when I see coworkers that don't realize how terrible it looks.

Thanks for the advice on the shoes, I'm on that as well.

I do think my next move is a gray blazer - that seems fairly versatile. Or should I buckle down and find a suit?

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the tips! I think I am fairly well put together and at least try to get clothes that properly fit. I have a military background, so I appreciate a good fit and am proficient with an iron. My shirts are all "tailored-slim fit" and seem to fit pretty well off the rack for the most part. I am definitely aware enough not to show my under shirt and cringe when I see coworkers that don't realize how terrible it looks.

Thanks for the advice on the shoes, I'm on that as well.

I do think my next move is a gray blazer - that seems fairly versatile. Or should I buckle down and find a suit?
Glad to know you know a lot of this already. You are already ahead of the pack there. It’s always good to have a suit, but if you have no pressing occasion (wedding, interview, etc) go with the blazer first as it’s more versatile.

CidCock

Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BROOKS-BRO...279805?hash=item1ca28db37d:g:~IwAAOSwNmNakizg

This looks decent, right? Dumb question, can a "regent fit" be tailored down a slim or modern fit.

ETA: Which of these would be a better buy?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-EUR...199283?hash=item362de4bcf3:g:xrgAAOSw2LZaWXVf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173211365994?rmvSB=true

Am I correct to assume that Canali is probably a more well made jacket? It's likely fully canvased vs the CT being half? This is just information I have gleaned from reading today, correct me if I am off.

I realize fit is everything, but assuming either would be tailored

ETAA: What about something like this? I have had success with J Crew / BR and this looks to be pretty casual? Could one of the others be worn with jeans or probably not?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230-NEW-BA...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Last edited:

MarkWinter

Reaction score
Welcome, a couple of 42R options. We have the same selection in our Ebay store, same prices too. Click on the pictures for the link.
Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Dark_Gray_POW_Wool_Super_150_s_Jacket_EU_52_NEW_US_42_4_1024x1024.jpg
Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Dark_Gray_POW_Wool_Super_150_s_Jacket_EU_52_NEW_US_42_3_1024x1024.jpg

Very fine soft wool, 4 season fabric. Nice with khakis or light grey wool trousers
Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Gray_Prince_of_Wales_Linen_Wool_Silk_Jacket_52_NEW_42_2_1024x1024.jpg
Sartoria_PARTENOPEA_Hand_Made_Gray_Prince_of_Wales_Linen_Wool_Silk_Jacket_52_NEW_42_5_1024x1024.jpg

Lightweight wool/silk/linen jacket, the perfect summer material for summer. You can wear it in the office or for a nice dinner, wedding.
JAY_KOS_New_York_Navy_Blue_Wool_Blazer_Jacket_EU_52_NEW_US_40_42_1_1024x1024.jpg
Because you can never have enough blue blazers and this one is especially nice: cut, fabric and price as well.

In general these are maybe a bit more expensive than you originally planned, but they are well below retail price in this quality. Top notch fabrics and construction, made in Italy, you buy them for years to come.

CidCock

Reaction score
thanks for replies - I am having a little trouble deciding what can be worn as a sports coat vs what should be exclusively be a suit jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads