• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me Fix my Shoes

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently received some beautiful Martegani cordovan loafers from Ron at Francos (a steal at $300). http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=99429 They are wonderful overall except for one fit issue I'm having. The right shoe is just too loose.

I've added in tongue pads, and even a thin leather insole. But, my right heel moves up and down too much when I walk. The heel doesn't come out of the shoe, but it just moves too much.

I must note that none of this should reflect negatively on Ron or Francos. He warned about the sizing and fit, and Ron was a pleasure to deal with.

Back to the shoes. When I wore them on my carpet, I thought adding the tongue pads would be enough, but I was wrong. It is completely my fault. It isn't that the fit is terrible. It is just that the fit is okay. And, I really want to improve it.

So, to that end. I think I have two options. And, I welcome any other suggestions.

(1) I could add in a second tongue pad to each shoe. This might be enough, but I'm afraid that it might be uncomfortable or negatively affect other aspects of an otherwise good fit.

(2) I've noticed that the strap (or whatever it is called) that passes over the tongue has a lot of give in it. I thought that maybe a good cobbler could unstitch (if that is a word) the strap and restitch it futher down each side of the shoe, thereby making the tongue tighter and hopefully getting rid of my excess heel movement.

I welcome good advice on these options and any other options that I should consider.

If I go with option (2), is there a particular cobbler in Chicago that does very high quality work? I'm willing to pay a premium for the quality work. In particular, I want to make sure that the stitching job is done very well and fits the aesthetic of the shoe.

Thanks for the help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads