• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me fire a new hire

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just got a new hire, seemed ok.

its clear he is a marsupial, he just asked a customer if they had an arranged marriage i found him sitting at my desk going through the rolodex to call vendors to say hi and place an order on his 2nd day it only gets worse but i suck at firing

any help?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe your pet marsupial could accompany you to a class on grammar and punctuation?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Maybe your pet marsupial could accompany you to a class on grammar and punctuation?

i am not writing a thesis here just a post on a forum. i was unaware we are getting graded on our english language skills.

Wirr

Reaction score
Tell him the truth.

I've never regret tellin' someone the truth, but you might want to skip that "marsupial"-part.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
"It's not you, it's me."

Originally Posted by Wirr
Tell him the truth.

I've never regret tellin' someone the truth, but you might want to skip that "marsupial"-part.

maybe a combo of these two

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Document all the ways he is screwing up in order to protect yourself from a lawsuit. Don't meet with him privately or he will claim you sexually harassed him.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Document all the ways he is screwing up in order to protect yourself from a lawsuit. Don't meet with him privately or he will claim you sexually harassed him.

This. And learn to interview better.

Also, still expect to lose your unemployment hearing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

100% this...
And be honest when you do it.....

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This

Originally Posted by Piobaire
This. And learn to interview better.

Also, still expect to lose your unemployment hearing.

And this.

And, for what it's worth: you probably ought to tell him now he needs to shape up and settle down. One of my hires burned incense in his office on his third day, and I had to straighten him out. Fortunately, he did...for a while but eventually his old tendencies got the better of him and he got fired a year or so later.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
I was once part of an interview, where we 3 interviewers interviewed this guy. One of the interviewers (NOT ME) asked if the candidate was going to have an arranged marriage. The interviewer also asked "when did you immigrate" to someone born here, and also asked "do you mind if I ask your age?" I was so embarrassed just sitting there. The candidate seemed friendly enough during the interview, but he was unqualified for the job as well.....the head interviewer told him to make sure to call us back after 5 days if he didn't hear back from us by then. We never contacted him...and he never called us back either. I have respect for this dude
smile.gif
Like I said, guy seemed competent and friendly, just not qualified for the role...but I can guarantee you there are people out there right now laughing at this guy's story of how a fat marsupial with a face not unlike a castrated gorilla's asked someone at an interview if they were going to have an arranged marriage! Our company's rep is in the toilet with these folks! Don't be too hard on your new hire....you can't teach common sense, but people act weird and strange when nervous
smile.gif
GIve him 2 weeks before you do anything.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give him a couple of tasks you know he will fail in.

Document them. Then fire at will.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does this guy need to be fired? It seems he's done some inappropriate things, use corrective action and build his character. Don't just shuffle him off to the next job he'll fail at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics