• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help me: Finding the "perfect" fitting Suit

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Hello,

I will have to wear suits more often now and i recognized, that I dont really know how a "perfect" suit for my body-type should look like.

I see here many people posting on waywt with great fitting suits and I dont know what exactly makes their suits fitting that great in comparison with my suits.

So i would be very happy if you could help me finding the "perfect" suit for my body type.

I post a picture (i posted it before i guess) of me in my best fitting suit. Please ignore the colour, i know it wouldnt have been your choice + ignore the shoes

Im 5.57 feet and weight 154 pound.

if you need more pics from different angles please tell me and i will try to get 'em.

Some questions: What do you think of the lenght of the jacket? is it ok or too long? What do you think about the waist? The shoulders and sleeves?

Please give me some honest feedback.. ..

do you think/know certain brands that will fit my body best?

thanks!

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Re: Help me: Finding the "perfect" fitting Suit"

Bespoke

edit:I've never used them but I have heard good things about Thick as Thieves. I'm not sure whether they are truly Bespoke versus MTM (made to measure) but if you're looking for that one or two suits that fit perfectly I think that's the way you should go. OTR isn't going to cut it. (no pun intended)

Marrakesh

Reaction score
I will need them for semi-formal (not business-formal).. dont know how to describe..events! I will have to interview important persons (or at least persons who think they are important).. visit some cocktailparties or vernisages (is this an english word..? i mean "art exhibition opening parties").. i will not have to wear a tie exept for some rare ocassions, so the suits should look best with a one-button-open-shirt like the picture above..and im rather young, 22 years

Bespoke is not *really* an option because i can't afford it, i guess its about 2000usd+ and i cant spend that much money on a suit..

theoldadage

Reaction score
If you want to hone your eye on 'fit' then I suggest you start haunting the 'what are you wearing today' thread and over time you will find what you like. There is no secret answer that will satisfy you, it takes time. Once you are confident about what you like, you can try on OTR and look around until something pleases you. Alternatively you could try one of the many cheaper MTM people...

Marrakesh

Reaction score
I read the waywt since May 2007 and i never found an answer, because i just dont know what details fit me best..

like at the suit above.. should i go with wide or narrow lapels, thick or think fabric, short or long jacket, skinny or loose Pants, high or low waist..

I (mostly) get it at casual wear, but with suits (which i need fast) im quite inexperienced and would need some quick help :)

--> Just (for the beginning) please tell me what (exept for the coulour!) you dont like at the suit i posted.. so perhaps i see what people dont like.. i know many dont like the colour, but ok, i like it :)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marrakesh
Not more help? Strange on this board.

it's christmas eve. most people aren't at work going on SF to avoid doing real work.

Marrakesh

Reaction score
maybe youre right

here's another jacket of mine.. totally unconstructed, wears like a sweater and has no shoulderpads or lining or so on.. (hope i use the right words)

Ringo

Reaction score
Post a full body pic of you in that cream bottega suit (i.e. your "best fitting suit") from the front, side, and back. Wear it with a shirt and tie (basically how you'd need to wear your suit for work) and make sure you keep your arms at your sides. If you don't, no one can offer you good advice.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Friend, I do not mean to offend but your clothes look like you got them from a hillbilly's consignment shop. The best way for you to find the "perfect fitting" suit as you put it is to go into a high-end retail establishment that sells very expensive suits and try a few on. This way you'll get an idea of how a quality suit looks, drapes, and feels on you. If the store sells suits at the mid to lower end of the spectrum ask the sales associate if they have any that are similar in cut to the expensive ones you tried. If they don't then go to a store that does and you will have a frame of reference when you go.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
Friend, I do not mean to offend but your clothes look like you got them from a hillbilly's consignment shop.
I disagree. As far as soft casual jackets go, to me at least, the fit on both looks good.

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
Friend, I do not mean to offend but your clothes look like you got them from a hillbilly's consignment shop. The best way for you to find the "perfect fitting" suit as you put it is to go into a high-end retail establishment that sells very expensive suits and try a few on. This way you'll get an idea of how a quality suit looks, drapes, and feels on you. If the store sells suits at the mid to lower end of the spectrum ask the sales associate if they have any that are similar in cut to the expensive ones you tried. If they don't then go to a store that does and you will have a frame of reference when you go.

But thats the point, no one of my suits is in fact cheap. The jackets and pants posted are from bottega veneta, so, i hope, a top level suit maker..? as i said, i'm not very educated about the topic "suits"

Originally Posted by Ringo
Post a full body pic of you in that cream bottega suit (i.e. your "best fitting suit") from the front, side, and back. Wear it with a shirt and tie (basically how you'd need to wear your suit for work) and make sure you keep your arms at your sides. If you don't, no one can offer you good advice.

okay, will post pictures soon, thank you.

Marrakesh

Reaction score
First the cream suit 3 pictures.. i noticed the pants look quite strange from behind..

second the dark brown jacket.. i pulled the pants down a little more but i think i looks better the other way...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 134 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 251 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40