• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find...two leather goods...

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on the following:

1) Brown leather bag. I'd like a narrow shoulder strap (removeable would be fine) and also a top carrying handle. I am a small guy (5'3" 135lbs) so I would like something that works well with my proportions. I'm thinking max I'd like to spend is $300 (less is fine, of course, and a bit more would be acceptable if it was something completely perfect!)

2) Breast pocket wallet (I KNOW I am going to regret this one). For this, the only color that matters is NOT GREEN...other than that, I'm pretty open to anything. I'd also like this to be in a size that could be placed in pants pockets for those days when I do not have a jacket on (I'm trying to limit that, but I'm slowing building a better wardrobe after massive weight loss and new job). I'd like to keep the price in the 100-200 range at most. Also important: being able to order online, because who the hell wants to deal with buying a breast pocket wallet in a store anymore.

Thanks, and I hope you will all be "able to discuss" both of these items "at this time"
I look forward to some suggestions (and, I'm sure, at least one or two breast pocket wallet jokes)

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC
Looking for suggestions on the following:

1) Brown leather bag. I'd like a narrow shoulder strap (removeable would be fine) and also a top carrying handle. I am a small guy (5'3" 135lbs) so I would like something that works well with my proportions. I'm thinking max I'd like to spend is $300 (less is fine, of course, and a bit more would be acceptable if it was something completely perfect!)

2) Breast pocket wallet (I KNOW I am going to regret this one). For this, the only color that matters is NOT GREEN...other than that, I'm pretty open to anything. I'd also like this to be in a size that could be placed in pants pockets for those days when I do not have a jacket on (I'm trying to limit that, but I'm slowing building a better wardrobe after massive weight loss and new job). I'd like to keep the price in the 100-200 range at most. Also important: being able to order online, because who the hell wants to deal with buying a breast pocket wallet in a store anymore.

Thanks, and I hope you will all be "able to discuss" both of these items "at this time"
I look forward to some suggestions (and, I'm sure, at least one or two breast pocket wallet jokes)

"Narrow shoulder strap" = pretty much not useable.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ ^^^ May have something you like
thumbs-up.gif
Edit: I have their small wallet in coffee brown and love it.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also like this to be in a size that could be placed in pants pockets for those days when I do not have a jacket on

Then you don't want a 'breast wallet' (secretary wallet/passage wallet), as any wallet falling into that category will be too long. You just want a standard bi-fold.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
"Narrow shoulder strap" = pretty much not useable.
Not true, right now I have a wide strap and being my shoulders are not very broad the wide strap falls off my shoulder and I find myself needing to go cross-body. So a narrower strap will probably work better.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Check Tusting for the bag.
Will do! Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Then you don't want a 'breast wallet' (secretary wallet/passage wallet), as any wallet falling into that category will be too long. You just want a standard bi-fold.
I agree, it is an odd request, but I think a standard bi-fold will be too bulky for inside my breast pocket. That said, I guess my request really is just me being too lazy to transfer wallets when I do not wear a jacket. So, I guess I'd just like a breast pocket wallet that falls on the narrower/shorter side (is there a standard or do they vary?) so that it fits better in my smaller-than-average chest jackets.

Artking3

Reaction score
I agree, it is an odd request, but I think a standard bi-fold will be too bulky for inside my breast pocket. That said, I guess my request really is just me being too lazy to transfer wallets when I do not wear a jacket. So, I guess I'd just like a breast pocket wallet that falls on the narrower/shorter side (is there a standard or do they vary?) so that it fits better in my smaller-than-average chest jackets.

I think you're out of luck. Breast wallets have to be long enough to accomodate bank notes, shortening it would pretty much ruin it as a wallet.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artking3
I think you're out of luck. Breast wallets have to be long enough to accomodate bank notes, shortening it would pretty much ruin it as a wallet.

I understand your point, but see my post from above quoted below. Fossil makes a shorter and narrow breast pocket wallet. Only different by .25" x .5" but still that quarter of an inch in width and half inch in height could be substantial in a pocket. I might try that wallet and let you know how it goes...

I found this Fossil Secretary Wallet that I thought was fairly nice -- thoughts?

Compared to this Aspinal breast pocket wallet it is a bit smaller.

Fossil: 3.25" x 6.5"
Aspinal: 3.5" x. 7"

I'm sure the Aspinal is more SF Friendly, but, the .25" in width and .5" in height are pretty interesting to me. I'd love some thoughts on this?

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I found this Fossil Secretary Wallet that I thought was fairly nice -- thoughts?

Compared to this Aspinal breast pocket wallet it is a bit smaller.

Fossil: 3.25" x 6.5"
Aspinal: 3.5" x. 7"

I'm sure the Aspinal is more SF Friendly, but, the .25" in width and .5" in height are pretty interesting to me. I'd love some thoughts on this?

I have the same Aspinal wallet but in black. It's fantastic, though not really useful if you aren't wearing a jacket. In the summer I usually swap out for a money clip.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Let me get this right :

You want a Mulholland Bros. deerskin bag and a Breast Wallet?

Would you be looking for a pastel colored cashmere tie as well?

No, I asked for an opinion about that bag. I guess I got yours and thank you. Everyone here always suggests Saddleback Leather, yet when I ask if it will look good with a suit I get a snarky response...gotta love SF

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
biggrin.gif

How about something like this? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=242671

Moo -- I was actually going to PM you about that bag. I saw your post today and I must admit I love it! I'm going to look more into it and then I'll PM you for sure!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads