• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me Find the Perfect 2-Button Navy Suit

ziggysnorkel

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Navy 2-button Suit. The problem I face is that I'm really slim and like my suits to not be baggy--so they tend to come out of designer lines because those happen to be the slimmest. So far Dolce, JV, Thom Browne, Alexander McQueen, and Richard James suits I've found to fit me best. I wear a 38s or 36s and have a 28-30in waist.

What can you guys recommend? There are a ton of people in the know on this forum. I want something with both style and high quality construction. Thanks in advance.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm 5' 7" and 129 lbs with a 29" waist, for reference.

The brands that fit me best are:
Thom Browne (which I own)
Black Fleece (I buy 1 size smaller than my Thom Browne's)
Dior (their classic navy 2-button will be my next purchase)
Ralph Lauren Black Label
Jil Sander
theory (IMO great deals when they're on sale)

There's also a brand called Thick as Thieves that I'm seriously considering for a springtime purchase. They're MTM (I believe the owner is on these boards quite often) and they're a fraction of the price of the other ones I list. They seem to fit similar to TB, but less of the Brownie aspects.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thick as Thieves?

Median

Reaction score
Maybe go to Brooks Brothers and get something MTM, based on the Fitzgerald.

ziggysnorkel

Reaction score
Yep I was seriously considering TAT when I have the time just to see what comes up.

brunello

Reaction score
There are some great more modern Zegna cuts as well (not necessarily the Z-Zegna line, which runs very trim but not great fabric) - also try Boglioli. I'm pretty slim (but tall) and have really become fond of the zegna models they are putting out in MTM as well as OTR. The fabrics are second to none. Armani also runs fairly narrow - not terribly sure about most of their colors - always shades of mud.

Finally, a really good tailor is your best friend. Find a shop that knows what to put on you and stick with them - if they're as good as they should be, they will find a line or lines that work for you and use their knowledge and their tailor to make them perfect.

TrekTheWorld

Reaction score
Simon Spurr suits. I think some of the best in slim fit suits today.

nbutter

Reaction score
i am too big/broad to wear

- prada

- dries van noten

and if i had a slimmer build i'd check those out.

how about jil sander?

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to those named above, also check out Duncan Quinn.

John152

Reaction score
Defiantly try out Thick as Thieves, I got a navy tweed jacket with a red over check that is completely awesome.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Median
Maybe go to Brooks Brothers and get something MTM, based on the Fitzgerald.

Agree on BB MTM. Here's a navy 2B I got from the MTM program:

bb4zz2.jpg

ziggysnorkel

Reaction score
Hmm... for some reason I feel like I've never run into a lot of the brands you guys are throwing out there. I live in San Francisco and usually end up at boutiques or places like Saks, Neiman Marcus, or Barneys. I've spotted some but not all.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggysnorkel
Hmm... for some reason I feel like I've never run into a lot of the brands you guys are throwing out there. I live in San Francisco and usually end up at boutiques or places like Saks, Neiman Marcus, or Barneys. I've spotted some but not all.

Thick as Thieves is an online MTM shop.

Black Fleece can be found in Brooks Brother's store.

Ralph Lauren is in the RL store.

Jil Sander, Theory is in NM

Frogger42

Reaction score
RLBL navy pinstripe can be had in store for $560

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads