• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find some jeans

bryce330

Reaction score
I must confess I know very little about this topic, so hopefully one of the resident denim experts here can get me pointed in the right direction so that I won't have to go try on 15 different brands.

I'm looking for something with a *very * slim fit through the upper legs and a subtle-to-moderate boot cut (i.e. not an extreme flare); something similar to the Paper Denim GTO but slimmer.

Any ideas?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
J. Lindeberg or DSquared2.

or you could buy women's jeans.

Dan

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Energie straight morris or New Morris both fit very slim in the thigh. Don't know how high quality you want to go but they can be had at an outlet store or an off 5th for around $40-60

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Buffalo by David Bitton jeans that have a nice stretch fabric. They are in a non-distressed medium-dark blue, very "classic blue jeans" look. Fine with black or brown shoes, or obnoxious neon trainers, or whatever.

I have no idea if they were originally intended for a man or a woman (I think man, but I'm not particularly concerned either way).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something with a *very * slim fit through the upper legs and a subtle-to-moderate boot cut (i.e. not an extreme flare); something similar to the Paper Denim GTO but slimmer.

Earnest Sewn Maz run slimmer than Paper Denim GTOs through the leg, and has a more moderate flare.

Oltmann

Reaction score
PDC SLM.

They have two styles on sale at scoopnyc.com.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with Ernest Sewn. I have a pair of the slim fit with a slight bootcut, the Hutch model I believe... or maybe the Maz. I'm sure though, the Filson model is straight leg slim fit; those are my #1 pair of jeans right now.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a link for Earnest Sewn?

I'd like a new pair of jeans myself -- I had a pair of H&M jeans (shut up) that I bought at a thrift store that I wore constantly (they were black, moderately distressed, and faded to a really nice grey that was very versatile). The cut was really great for me.

Unfortunately, they've ripped about seven or eight inches up the right outer leg seam (uncertain of specific name for it).

Brian SD

Reaction score
I can vouch for the PDC SLM cut. I like it a lot.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Maz refer to an earnest sewn wash, not a cut? I believe their slim cut is called the Filson.
I was in a hurry. The Hutch is the bootcut model - still slim. The Filson is the straight cut model. I beleive that bryce was looking for a bootcut jean. In any case, the Earnest Sewn website is: www.earnestsewn.com D'oh.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
On a sidenote, I've noticed that most of these higher end jeans come with a fixed inseam (seems to average around 34").

Coming from a lifetime of buying standard Levi's that come with assorted inseam lengths, I'm somewhat at a loss. Can a standard tailor re-hem denim jeans?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
On a sidenote, I've noticed that most of these higher end jeans come with a fixed inseam (seems to average around 34").

Coming from a lifetime of buying standard Levi's that come with assorted inseam lengths, I'm somewhat at a loss.  Can a standard tailor re-hem denim jeans?
Absolutely. And I believe the reasoning behind this is if one is willing to spend upwards of $150 for jeans, they would pay $8 more for a hem job (which is very common). Among the higher end denims, the only ones I know of that come with varying lengths are Diesel and G-Star.

Dan

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Nudie's "bootcut Ola" or the "Regular Ralfs"?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On jean lengths - I've whined about this before, but I'll do it again.

I've had several pairs of jeans tailored, but I've been turned off to some jean companies because of this. I'm about 5'10", and some cuts - although particularly those over-treated and finished - just won't look right unless you're 6', in my opinion. They have finishing creases behind the knee, etc., that won't line up right even if you have a tailor, or flared legs that don't really flare when you cut 3-4" off the bottom.

I'm usually pretty careful now - and I don't tend to buy exaggerated cut, super-finished jeans anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads