1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me find some jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bryce330, Feb 7, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not that I know of, although Jean Therapy in the Commonwealth hotel may have them.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Atrium and Famous Friends NYC carry them (Nudies). Their prices range a LOT depending on what cut, type of denim and wash you get. For example, Regular Ralf Dry Selvage is about $190 USD... the vegetable indigo ones are in the $250 range. Washed jeans are more expensive in general, but since most of them are not on the same denim level as the RR Selvages, the price comes out to be similar.

Bootcut Ola is a bit cheaper than RR because it is not Japanese Selvage denim (selvage arguments aside, it is cheaper to buy non-selvage denim from Italy than selvage from Japan). I think you should be able to get Bootcut Ola's in the $150 range for washed, $120 range for unwashed.

Atrium NYC and Hollywood Trading Company/Fred Segal LA will both do telephone orders. Not sure about Famous Friends, but I would assume they do as well.

3. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen - I ordered a pair of the Paper Denim SLM from Scoop so hopefully those will work out.  I tried on a pair of Earnest Sewn at Barney's this weekend and wasn't impressed, but maybe I didn't pick the slimmest cut.  

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to check out J. Lindeberg while I was in NYC - anyone know a source for internet or phone orders?

4. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Maybe T4Phage can answer this best, but Atrium stocked some Nudies that were about $450. I think these were the dry veggie selvage or something to that effect.

Non-sequitur: I was at Scoop today and saw a new PDC cut, the Marlowe (I think the model is BMX). I didn't have time to try them on, but does anyone know what distinguishes them from, say, the GTO? They looked really similar, with only slight variance from the 3-year wash.

5. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by Sevcom:
    I believe so, since the most expensive Nudies here in Europe are the Dry Veggie selvedge. Very unique colour...

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

LA and NYC prices for Nudies are outrageous. Make a friend in Europe, where Nudies retail anywhere from 98 to 180 Euro for the most expensive types. Trade for Paper Denims and Sevens, which retail for EU 199 on the Continent, and about 150 pounds and up in the UK. Crazy.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

They sell Nudies at Traffic in the Beverly Center as well. They were on sale at 30% off in January, I have no idea if they ever went on further reduction.

8. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Last I checked, winter sale nudie jeans here in paris were 50% off, down from 190 to 95 euros.
    I picked up european wranglers, which are quite nice, for 50 euros ...

.luc

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Yes, I've heard some European kids call Sevens "pretentious" jeans because they're "so expensive."

The Veggie Indigo denim is a lot of money, even in Europe. I thought it was $250 but according to these guys and some other sources online, they are above $400 (converted to dollar, not from US websites). They are hand-dyed and vegetable indigo is rare so it makes sense. The only other company I know of that uses vegetable indigo is 45rpm. I do not like the color at all, personally. I much prefer the deeper blue from synthetic indigo. Traditionally all jeans since pre-1900s levis use synthetic indigo not vegetable, so even a denim purist would probably vouch against it. Only thing they're missing are hidden rivets.

I did a LOT of research on prices for Nudies before I bought mine just recently, and Hollywood Trading Company's prices were perfectly reasonable (cheaper than the NYC prices). The selvage regular ralf is pretty sought after... Sometimes they are up to 200 euros. Zoovillage has them for 144 euro (but they do not ship the USA).. they are the cheapest prices online for Nudies, hands down. I bought the last one in size 29 (they run large), and was told later that day that two other people called in to order the exact same ones but missed out.

10. ken

ken Senior member

LAG or BSD, you got picture's of your post-broken-in nudies? I'd like to see if the hype is legit. (And if stinkin to high heaven for 6 months is worth it).

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Anyone seen these APCs yet? I suppose not, since they're on preorder (or no order)... I still really like the look of their unwashed denim Anglaise cut, but I have to at least wait til the Wrangler 47s I bought break in...

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Not me. The description is very similar to the Unisex cut, and I think I actually saw a pair of "New Standard" jeans on eBay awhile ago. LA Guy can clear things up, he probably knows.

Ken, mine are not broken in yet, as they are too new, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the hype surrounding Nudie is just their marketing strategy.

All unwashed jeans whether they are made by Nudie or not will whisker and fade if you wear them for 6 months straight sans washing. If you wash them often, they will develop whiskering much slower because you're constantly taking dye out of the jeans and evening out the color, negating most of the contrast from hard wear. They *might* do the dying process in such a way that the color wears out quickly, but I doubt it. The reason I like Nudies so much is the fit (perfect, basically, from pocket placement to rise to fly shape), absolutely superb denim quality as well as really cool stitching details. Their philosophy about denim wearing is cool, but they're just capitalizing on what the Evisu-heads have been crazy about for years.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Oh and yea, they start stinking to high heaven after about a week of wearing em every day no washing.

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I just picked up a pair - Regular Ralf, dry selvage. Very similar to the PDC LTD fit, which I was happy to discover. 176 more wearings to go, and they'll be ready for their first wash. [​IMG] Brian, LA Guy, do you just air 'em out on the washing line, or do you *gasp* have them dry-cleaned? Seems like... cheating.

15. ken

ken Senior member

Couldn't you just give them a Puerto Rican shower (i.e. spray Sure deodorant on the inside)?

16. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Maybe I'll stuff the pockets with potpourri. Or get Balthazar to make me a belt with a pine-tree air-freshener buckle.

17. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I just air em out. I dont want to mess with the denim by using febreze or or anything. I'm trying Nudie's method of just beating the shit out of them for 6+ months before I throw them in the wash, to see if I can achieve the effects the others clame to have achieved.

It might be harder than one would assume. You probably have to wear em every day, and wear em hard, because I've seen pictures of 6 month old Nudies that weren't worn in such a way and they dont look anything like their advertised look.

Just dont wear em on your dates and you're good.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Those are 6 months old, pre-wash I think. The real effects start to come through after you've washed them once and then worn them another two weeks or so.jeans

19. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Would you be so kind to post the online sources you've found for the veggies?

Thanks.

20. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Yeah, I'm not going by 'six months', I'm marking a tick on a piece of paper every full day I wear 'em. Once I get to 180, hot wash.