• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find plain t-shirts

d.h.

Reaction score
I'm new here, BTW. Hi.

Anyway, I recently lost 30 lbs and have to buy a whole new wardrobe. I've always liked more-fitted T-shirts but haven't found any that feel right so far.

My dimensions are near the "standard"--people have told me I'm pretty well-proportioned--except that my chest and shoulder blades are a little on the bigger side for my otherwise medium frame.

So far, I've tried these:
a) Hanes Beefy-T: size Medium fits well except for chest (too tight, producing those annoying-looking stretch marks across the front); Large seems too big.
b) American Apparel: size Large fits well in upper body, but too baggy/wide around waist area. Seems a little short too.
c) Banana Republic "Fitted Tee": size Large is OK, except that the neck seems a little too high/small and the sleeves are way too wide.

Please help. I know there's something out there for me. Something tells me that the underwear companies (Calvin, 2xist, etc.) might have something good, but I don't know.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm new here, BTW. Hi.

Anyway, I recently lost 30 lbs and have to buy a whole new wardrobe. I've always liked more-fitted T-shirts but haven't found any that feel right so far.

My dimensions are near the "standard"--people have told me I'm pretty well-proportioned--except that my chest and shoulder blades are a little on the bigger side for my otherwise medium frame.

So far, I've tried these:
a) Hanes Beefy-T: size Medium fits well except for chest (too tight, producing those annoying-looking stretch marks across the front); Large seems too big.
b) American Apparel: size Large fits well in upper body, but too baggy/wide around waist area. Seems a little short too.
c) Banana Republic "Fitted Tee": size Large is OK, except that the neck seems a little too high/small and the sleeves are way too wide.

Please help. I know there's something out there for me. Something tells me that the underwear companies (Calvin, 2xist, etc.) might have something good, but I don't know.
The only really two tight fitting tees I have are:

GAP Body: (ok, so I am a XS...it is technically a undershirt after all) but they tend to be on the body-forming side, thus a close match to what you are looking for. As well, they are relatively inexpensive.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label: Yeah, I don't know why they are so tight, but an S fits almost like a XXS. The shirt is about 2 years old though, so maybe they are bigger now. A bit of a rip-off @ $100 each...but I bought mine on sale for a third of that. Since season will soon end, you might be able to find some on sale for well over 50% at their company stores and or Saks / NM.

Since we are substantially different sizes though, your mileage may vary.

Jon.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2(x)ist runs on the more form fitting athletic side
any dolce e gabbana will run tight
you can also try upper end zimmerli

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try the Brooks Brothers mercerized cotton variants. They are pretty nice. Avoid BB's low-end combed/pima cotton crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads