1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help me find my ideal shirt!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by abc123, Sep 6, 2006.

1. abc123

abc123 Senior Member

Good evening Gents,

I start this thread in hoping to get some ideas for shirts that will meet my particular needs. I own a variety of Brooks, Polo, and the like, but I can never consistently find what I'm looking for from these retailers. I need to buy a few more dress shirts over the next year, and I'm having trouble finding what I need. My basic requirements are that

-Spread collar, regular button placket, french cuff preferred, 100% cotton
    -variety of fabrics is great, but I mainly just need white and light blue now
    -No non-iron fabric
    -Quite a slim fit (I'm pretty thin)
    -I'm on a budget, so I don't want to/can't pay for things like borelli/kiton

Although what I want seems simple, I have found that the simplest things are those that are hardest to find. I'd be willing to do mtm, but I am on a budget, and really don't want to go through the stress of waiting for Jantzen. So, if you were to recommend a shirt for me, OTR or MTM, what would it be? I live in DC, so any recommended tailors and their price ranges would be great!

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing your opinions!

PS - I also posted this on aaac, just seeking more opinions!

2. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

3. Stax

Stax Senior Member

Land's End Custom. The choice of fabrics is not too extensive, but it should work, given your requirements. All custom shirts are returnable for a refund. It took me a few iterations to get the perfect, but the ill fitting shirts were returned without incident.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/...79367685142010

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

It seems that Jantzen at $50 a mtm shirt is the place for you.

5. Carey

Carey Senior Member

Kiton, Brioni, Charvet, etc at $300-$400 per shirt is way out there. If I had that much money, I would do it.

DC choices for mote reasonable MTM or OTR. Downtown has Thomas Pink. Nordstrom does a MTM that is about $125 per shirt and no make-up charge. I bet Raleigh's (I think they are still in business) might have Individualized which starts around $125 per shirt.

A really good OTR will cost at least that much. So if you are willing to drop the coin, then MTM will allow you to get what you want. Individualized (available at most independent men's shops) allows you to pick from at least 10 different collar and cuff styles. The retailer should have several bodies for you to try on.

I have had six Individualized shirts made over the past few years and I have been very stisfied. My take is that if I can spend $125 for an Ike Behar, or for a Robert Talbott OTR, then I am willing to spend a little more to get a close fitting shirt, with the collar, cuff and fabric of my choosing. It takes six weeks to get them back, but well worth it.

If your budget only allows for you to spend less than a $100 on a shirt, then OTR outlet shopping is your best option.

Best of luck to you.

Good luck.

6. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior Member

Kiton, Brioni, Charvet, etc at $300-$400 per shirt is way out there. If I had that much money, I would do it.

DC choices for mote reasonable MTM or OTR. Downtown has Thomas Pink. Nordstrom does a MTM that is about $125 per shirt and no make-up charge. I bet Raleigh's (I think they are still in business) might have Individualized which starts around $125 per shirt.

A really good OTR will cost at least that much. So if you are willing to drop the coin, then MTM will allow you to get what you want. Individualized (available at most independent men's shops) allows you to pick from at least 10 different collar and cuff styles. The retailer should have several bodies for you to try on.

I have had six Individualized shirts made over the past few years and I have been very stisfied. My take is that if I can spend $125 for an Ike Behar, or for a Robert Talbott OTR, then I am willing to spend a little more to get a close fitting shirt, with the collar, cuff and fabric of my choosing. It takes six weeks to get them back, but well worth it.

If your budget only allows for you to spend less than a $100 on a shirt, then OTR outlet shopping is your best option.

Best of luck to you.

Good luck.

I was about to suggest Pink and Nordstrom MTM before I read your response. By the way, Raleighs closed more than 15 years ago.

7. abc123

abc123 Senior Member

The Nordstrom MTM is an interesting option. How does the quality (materials, not fit) compare to OTRs such as Brooks? Would you consider it on a par with Jantzen quality (without the eternal wait, of course)?

8. Carey

Carey Senior Member

The Nordstrom MTM is an interesting option. How does the quality (materials, not fit) compare to OTRs such as Brooks? Would you consider it on a par with Jantzen quality (without the eternal wait, of course)?

They have some nice patterns and fabrics that are very nice. I am planning to give them a try too, when I get my next good commission check. Nordstrom black label OTR shirts are very slim fitting, but the collar-band height is a bit low for my taste. MTM is a different story, more collar and cuff choices to suit your personal taste.

Can't say anything about Brooks. I don't shop there.

From what I have read on this board about Jantzen, I would guess their quality is dodgey.