• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find my dream watch. It is a simple watch.

Shepherd

Reaction score
Y'know, it's amazing what I'm capable of when I think about it:

1. Knowing where the numbers on a clock go;
2. Knowing whether it's morning or night;
3. Knowing what the current date is;
4. Knowing how to add five or six hours to the current time to get GMT;
5. Knowing I don't need to know a bunch of other crap.

It's even more amazing how hard it is to find a watch company that knows I know these things.

Folks, I'm looking for a watch that tells time with no goofy crap tacked on. I don't need a fathometer or a compass or a date dial or six different insets to tell me what the weather is like at Ayers Rock or how many tacos Mick Jagger has eaten today. My ideal watch doesn't have to withstand pressures up to 6,000 feet below sea level. It doesn't have to have a synchronous Bluetooth signal or a dedicated satellite to tell me I'm at work.

I just want a watch that tells time as simply and effectively as possible.

And I want to look reasonably stylin' while doing it.

For less than $200.

Is such a thing possible? This seems like the best possible place to find answers.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is over $200 by about $185, but might work

51F5JWV7G5L._SS500_.jpg

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this, with a metal band. It's just brilliant.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price, I'd get a Seiko. There are plenty of simpler models than the one BMulford suggested. If you want an automatic, get a Seiko 5 from an online retailer. This would be my choice. If you prefer Quartz or don't care, they'll be even easier to find.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
At that price, I'd get a Seiko. There are plenty of simpler models than the one BMulford suggested. If you want an automatic, get a Seiko 5 from an online retailer. This would be my choice. If you prefer Quartz or don't care, they'll be even easier to find.

While I think a Seiko 5 is a great choice, it does by definition include day and date, which the OP seemed to want to avoid.

Reaction score
ollech and wajs has a date window but you can just ignore that function, or hey, just give your brain a little rest; it is $75 or so more than you wanted but you get a sapphire crystal and auto swiss movement if you browse around that site a little you may find a quartz watch that will be in your specified price range, and maybe find a watch without a date function.

Reaction score
If you do a little digging you might be able to find a Movado on sale for around 250-300ish. I got mine from a Movado outlet a few months ago on sale for about $275, marked down from $750.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you literall just want a watch that tells time and nothing else? Or do you want it to do the things you listed? I can't tell what you're asking.

A simple watch that just tells time for $100-$200: Skagen. My wife has had 2 watches the past 15 years that she uses: both Skagen. She wanted: small, elegant, clean, simple. Skagen fit all those. Thes first Skagen I bought her has run all of those 15 years with just a few battery replacements.

http://www.skagen.com/products/Mens/Watch/All/1.fx

About 100 stles to choose from.

Shop online and you'll get them from $30-$100.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T20501.jpg
Timex Easy Reader. Switch the leather band for black grosgrain one. <$30.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently saw a quartz Seiko dress watch that meets all your criteria and is about the right price (I think). Silver-white dial with subsidiary seconds. No date or any other features - very simple, very beautiful.

Don't know the reference I'm afraid, but look around and you should find it - I think it's a new model and the dealers here seem to all have it.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The extra features on that first watch, the Seiko Sportura are very subdued, not easily read on first glance so all you really notice are the hands on the watch. Look a little closer and you get the date and you can also see the time in every major city in the world with a couple of clicks of a side button. It also can be read in the dark. I bought mine on ebay from a place in Singapore for $200 - they're $A1000 in Australia. It came with books, box etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads