• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find an interesting, cool, classic pocket knife

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a cool pocket knife, something that looks classic, like an antique or something..
Also something not crazy expensive cause im not at all an outdoorsman and it will probably just sit in my bag forever.

Looking online all i can find a cheesy cheap knives will skull print handles etc.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
I want a cool pocket knife, something that looks classic, like an antique or something..
Also something not crazy expensive cause im not at all an outdoorsman and it will probably just sit in my bag forever.

Looking online all i can find a cheesy cheap knives will skull print handles etc.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Case: http://www.wrcase.com/index_en.php

Buck: http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...wall&end_use=E

Both are classic brands with classic styling. Hard to go wrong.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
you certainly can't go wrong with a case or a buck that's for sure. But as a modern option try the spyderco kiwi: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...tml?s=SP75STP3

+1. This is what I carry when wearing slacks/chinos, and it's great. Small enough to be unobtrusive, but so well-designed that it functions almost like a larger knife. Also, ridiculously sharp out of the box, and Spyderco VG-10 is one of my favorite steels.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
you certainly can't go wrong with a case or a buck that's for sure. But as a modern option try the spyderco kiwi: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...tml?s=SP75STP3
Love me some Spyderco (have had a delica ZDP-189, native sv30, spyderfly, paramili D2, and a few others) , but I can't find any love for the kiwi. Edit: nvm- I thought that the kiwi was the micro dyad for some reason. The kiwi is a damn good pick

deaddog

Reaction score
I find Benchmade to be excellent quality, low key knives. No skulls. If the law in your state permits, check out the 3150 - its a very small < 2 inch automatic (aka switchblade) in black and stainless steel. I believe that the small blade size makes it legal in many states. Not classic but cool ..

http://www.thebenchmadeshop.com/Benc...Fc9w5QodMk72dQ

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Love me some Spyderco (have had a delica ZDP-189, native sv30, spyderfly, paramili D2, and a few others) , but I can't find any love for the kiwi.

Edit: nvm- I thought that the kiwi was the micro dyad for some reason. The kiwi is a damn good pick

Yeah, i'm not a huge fan of the Dyad either. No idea why really. I love the kiwis and the kopas though. I prefer kopas but the OP stipulated affordable and $150+ isn't in that league to most.

My EDC is this one:
http://www.onlyknives.com/spyderco-m...-folder-knife/

deaddog

Reaction score
I actually have a dyad and think its a good looking knife with the mother of pearl looking handle. But the dual blade makes it too thick to carry comfortably. I'm also not typically a fan of spyderco mainly because its a bigger (taller?) knife due to the need for the hole in the blade. Although I do have a ladybug on my keychain - shockingly sharp out of the box and really unobtrusive. Not what I'd consider a real EDC but always there.

If you want something similar in size to the kiwi, also check out the benchmade mini-barrage. Amazon sells them at a discount.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty cool looking knife, but I can't see spending ~$100 (street price) for a knife with such crappy blade material (apparently Case's stainless is 420HC). Really, with an MSRP close to $200, they couldn't have bumped it a few bucks further and used better stuff?

CA12002.jpg

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about steel is that a lot of it comes down to the heat treatment. While 420HC is nothing special, it's quite practical for a knife that you want to stay looking pretty, and won't see too much use. It's very, very corrosion resistant, takes a wonderful polish, sharpens easily, and makes for a hassle free knife, which is especially good for guys who really don't care that much about them. While I'd rather have a knife in a good carbon steel (1080 is quite nice for a small folder), not everyone digs the patina that it acquires.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Ah but this is SF, where we love patina!

Yeah, I understand that there are differences in 420HC, but from a quick internet search it seems that Case's version is lower quality than what Buck offers, which I believe can be found in <$30 knives. Would probably get the job done, but in the knife above it sorta feels like someone slapped a Kia engine in a Porsche.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Buck cadet is my daily carry for an inoffensive knife, so no arguments there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads