Help me find a "new" mid-life crisis car.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Mark from Plano, Dec 1, 2009.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Mark,

Get one of these, they are Pussy Magnets:

[​IMG]

35K might be a little light, but I know the lady that now owns it and she might work with you.

And if you get another Duesenberg, try to get one with coachwork by these guys:

[​IMG]

With $20 and a Dusie, a man can get mighty lucky on the border[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I sold my grandfather's mid-90's Maxima on craigslist a year and a half ago. I figured that I could get the most money by actually writing a very good description of the car, it's history, etc. I included pictures, used proper english, sounded personable ... and the car sold one day later for full asking price in cash to the first guy who responded (there were 8-9 polks of interest).

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Um, your circular logic (I don't like German cars -> I don't like BMW -> I wouldn't consider a 3-series -> Haven't driven a 3-series -> I only drive Japanese cars, which have been adequate so far -> I don't like German cars; repeat) doesn't do much for the guy looking for a car.

In fact, it'd be the opposite if anything: if BMW does anything right, the 3-series is it. Actually, the current 5-series is the worst model in the current generation lineup so maybe that's what has turned you off BMW.

There is no circular logic there - it seems that you have mis-interpreted my statements. Let me start over from the beginning.

1) I've never really liked BMWs and have always thought of the 3-series as a kids car for some reason...perhaps too many kids in my high school drove them.
    2) I do like German cars, but had a bad experience with the one that I've owned. While one can always be an anomoly, it did teach me the hard way that German cars are more expensive to maintain. Simple maintenance procedures will almost always cost more on a German car vs, e.g. a Japanese car. As I mentioned, I would consider a Mercedes for my next car.
    3) I considered a 5 series about 6 years ago. It drove excellently, but I just didn't like the car. That is when I purchased the aforementioned Audi.

4. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Senior member

1) I've never really liked BMWs and have always thought of the 3-series as a kids car for some reason...perhaps too many kids in my high school drove them.

High school in a 3-series? If that happened at my former high school you'd be the coolest kid on the block. I remember that the nicest car in the parking lot was a lowly old Audi A4 with pitch black windows (drug dealer).

5. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

High school in a 3-series? If that happened at my former high school you'd be the coolest kid on the block. I remember that the nicest car in the parking lot was a lowly old Audi A4 with pitch black windows (drug dealer).

Depends on the school of course

I have a 3 series. Whether or not they are the coolest or more stylish cars is pretty irrelevant to me, it's affordable, has a nice enough interior/comfortable and drives AWESOME for what it is. Better then any comparable Mercedes, Audi, Jag, Infiniti , Lexus, Acura, etc.

Of course if cars are something you like spending a whole lot you can do better from other makers, but I find it a very nice and comfortable standard for a car in a utilitarian sense.

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

7. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

What about something like a 2002-2003 Porsche 911? Can be had for reasonable prices if you do a good search and avoid the Turbo/GT models. They're quite reliable, timeless, and a whole lot of fun.

There used to be a saying - "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." In the sports car world, that same phrase works for Porsche 911s. Your proposed budget would be fine for a 996 cab, ideally a 2002+ with the facelifted front-end. I'd also suggest a Mercedes-Benz SL500, if you're more interested in cruising with style than a hardcore driving experience involving track days. Both of these have better images than the Boxster and SLK, though both are fine cars.

+1 on both of the above. Outside of maintenance, BMW seems so common as to be undistinguished. Boxter and SLK, especially Boxter = NO just for image. 911 would definitely be it for me. If you're still looking at a possible lease or new, and don't mind a little rice, the Nissan 370Z does 0-60 in 4.7 and starts at <$30K.

I sold my grandfather's mid-90's Maxima on craigslist a year and a half ago. I figured that I could get the most money by actually writing a very good description of the car, it's history, etc. I included pictures, used proper english, sounded personable ... and the car sold one day later for full asking price in cash to the first guy who responded (there were 8-9 polks of interest).

Sage advice. Also, try to give yourself plenty of time in order to get the highest price.

8. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

Cayman or 911 if you can. A5 is really sweet. Although someone beat me to it heres another option that will surely get you ass and looks. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

11. Nomad_K

Nomad_K Senior member

Please add a set of Termi's [​IMG] if you decide on a Ducati. Chiaroscuro - I really like the picture with the knee down and sparks up (although I don't know if I'd be as excited if I was on the bike).
    Cayman or 911 if you can. A5 is really sweet. Although someone beat me to it heres another option that will surely get you ass and looks.

12. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

There is no circular logic there - it seems that you have mis-interpreted my statements. Let me start over from the beginning.

2) I do like German cars, but had a bad experience with the one that I've owned. While one can always be an anomoly, it did teach me the hard way that German cars are more expensive to maintain. Simple maintenance procedures will almost always cost more on a German car vs, e.g. a Japanese car. As I mentioned, I would consider a Mercedes for my next car.
    3) I considered a 5 series about 6 years ago. It drove excellently, but I just didn't like the car. That is when I purchased the aforementioned Audi.

Can't speak for Porsche or Audi but I can tell you from considerable personal experience here in Texas, both Mercedes and BMW's are if anything cheaper to maintain than high end Jap cars. That is, if you have a good indy mechanic. Lexus parts are outrageously expensive.

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was surprised on Match.com how many 30-40 y/o women want to meet a guy with a Harley. I think they want to date a closet &quot;bad boy&quot;. Are you ready to fulfill their every fantasy?

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I was surprised on Match.com how many 30-40 y/o women want to meet a guy with a Harley. I think they want to date a closet "bad boy". Are you ready to fulfill their every fantasy?

Not if it requires riding a Harley. [​IMG] ...or any bike for that matter. It's hard to look sexy from a hospital bed in full traction. I don't trust myself enough on a bike. It would significantly skew the "Mid' in midlife crisis toward the back end of life I fear. A friend of mine bought a Harley for his midlife crisis and wound up with a fractured spine.

15. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Mark, [​IMG] Get one of these, they are Pussy Magnets:
    If you like Barbara Bush Grandma pussy!