• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a "new" mid-life crisis car.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
To be fair, which older cars will be able to beat Hondas and Foci? .

The current quickest Civic is the Si with a 0-60 of 6.7sec (faster than the E30 M3, an actual race car in its day). Assume your average teen working a McJob has (optimistically) shaved a second off that, and the Porsche 944 turbo, the 968, and the 964-generation 911 immediately come to mind.

That sort of thing is why I prefer vintage luxury cars to older sports cars - an old Rolls or Bentley is still nice, and not nearly as problematic as a 2002 745i. An old Ferrari is more problematic than most newer sports cars, and slower to boot.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
facepalm.gif
I guess that leaves the 1-series for absolutes spouting teenagers like you.

Ha! I'm nearly 30 and wouldn't buy a 3 series - **** the 1 series all together. I drive an Infiniti now and my next car will prob be either another infiniti, merc or lexus. i've never been a big bmw fan, though i did consider a 5 series when i bought my audi. too much $$ in the shop on that one has turned me off of german cars.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

As far as used goes I've found some CPO Mercedes SLK convertibles (2006 or later) with less than 30,000 miles and at least one BMW Z4 convertible (2006 with 16,000 miles). I don't know much about either of these models so I'd need some education on them.

I have an 07 SLK280 and use it as a DD with 55 mile round trip commute.

1) It is lots of fun for about 20-30 minutes and then starts to kill my back. The seat design is terrible. I have to drive with the seat warmer on and with a seat cushion. For me, it is difficult to drive long distance (e.g. longer than 1.5 hours).

2) I got it b/c the airscarf option allows for top down driving even when the temp is low 50's/high 40's. You still need a hat for the top of your head.

3) I replaced the summer run flat tires with regular high performance all season tires b/c the ride was too hard (bad roads). The run flats were also expensive to replace.

4) Style is great but hasn't helped me with the womenz.

YMMV.

eqpablon

Reaction score
Lotus Exige, well within your price range if you look at the 2005/2006 models.

2009-sector111-lotus-exige-side-angle-1024x768.jpg

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I have an 07 SLK280 ... but hasn't helped me with the womenz.

Oh, as soon as I read you drove an SLK, I automatically assumed you were a woman...
rimshot.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New
Audi TT

Used
BMW 6 Series
Jaguar XK
Porsche 911
Mercedes CLK Cabriolet

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
New
Audi TT

Are you mad? A front wheel drive car?!? I'd rather take a Boxster or Cayman. At least it looks neat and will keep its value. But then again you might as well buy a C6 Corvette for that $

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may not be the best driver but it is a better everyday car. You can even fit people in the back for very short runs.

I would buy used anyway in this instance an XK convertible.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Ha! I'm nearly 30 and wouldn't buy a 3 series - **** the 1 series all together. I drive an Infiniti now and my next car will prob be either another infiniti, merc or lexus. i've never been a big bmw fan, though i did consider a 5 series when i bought my audi. too much $$ in the shop on that one has turned me off of german cars.
When people communicate only in absolutes it makes having rational argument very difficult. MB, BMW and Audi have similar repair costs among comparable models. While Lexus and Infiniti may have the advantage in the repair costs and some say in the level of after sales service, they still can't duplicate the personalities and driving feel of their German counterparts.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt

Um, your circular logic (I don't like German cars -> I don't like BMW -> I wouldn't consider a 3-series -> Haven't driven a 3-series -> I only drive Japanese cars, which have been adequate so far -> I don't like German cars; repeat) doesn't do much for the guy looking for a car.

In fact, it'd be the opposite if anything: if BMW does anything right, the 3-series is it. Actually, the current 5-series is the worst model in the current generation lineup so maybe that's what has turned you off BMW.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
it is a better everyday car.

People in mid-life crises don't think about everyday
facepalm.gif
OP wanted a car that he can use to reconcile the fact that half of his life is now past him and all he has had is a Prius econobox.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
While Lexus and Infiniti may have the advantage in the repair costs and some say in the level of after sales service, they still can't duplicate the personalities and driving feel of their German counterparts.

A lot of the "driving feel" is choice of tires. I have an 08 G35. The 3-series does feel better-balanced and more natural (based on two test drives)... but it's hard to compare the two without equal tires (both 3-series had the sport package with soft, staggered tire sizes).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
http://porschedallas.parkplacetexas....426&store=1655

you know you need a porsche to pull the quality tail here in Plan-0 especially.
laugh.gif

Damnit, cars are ridiculously cheap in the US!!
How the hell can you get a 2007 Cayman for $33k - that is simply outrageously cheap.

Mark - if you are suffering a mid-life crisis, then I would say "damn the depreciation!" and get something like the Cayman. As the saying goes, you only live once and so you might as well make the most of it.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Damnit, cars are ridiculously cheap in the US!!
How the hell can you get a 2007 Cayman for $33k - that is simply outrageously cheap.

Mark - if you are suffering a mid-life crisis, then I would say "damn the depreciation!" and get something like the Cayman. As the saying goes, you only live once and so you might as well make the most of it.

That is why you drive across the border pick one up and bring it back home (although you have to pay PST/GST when you get back - but you would pay it anyways if you bought a car in Canada)... oh wait you can't drive across the border
laugh.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the suggestions so far. Keep them coming. I've specifically not weighed in too much in this thread in order to keep from influencing things too much. That said, this has been very helpful so far in helping me think through what I really want. Perhaps in a few days I'll summarize my thoughts and let you guys respond. For now though, keep those suggestions coming.

Need to look into getting the Republo-Prius on the market. Any suggestions on how best to maximize my value there? Craigslist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads